Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2013, 17:35   #31

Ride for Relief-Uttarakhand tragedy

Guys,

I came across a relief effort being organised by Ritanjali, for the survivors of the Uttarakhand tragedy. First off, they aren't looking for donations. They just need the hands to help out with the on-ground process.
Check the flyer below for more details.
(Bikers from that part of the country, please share with anyone and everyone who would be able to help out this way.)

http://www.ritinjali.org/content/its...mps-your-heart

Contact person:
Saumi Mitra
Ph: +91 8860771545
E-mail: saumi.mitra@gmail.com

Old 26th September 2013, 07:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

UnderTheStars - India's first overnight sleep out event

Hello folks,

I know we are an automotive forum, but we all do live in a society. And as a part of the "privileged" part of the society we should to extend a helping hand to help out the underprivileged.

I am helping a few friends organize an event to raise awareness for homeless and destitute people. Its India's first overnight sleep out even, where basically people spend the night under the stars.

There are quite a few events planned to make this an exciting event. Here's the website for the event - http://www.underthestars.in/

You can register and choose which NGO you would like to support, click on 'Participate' to register.

All proceeds for this event are going to charity, all food stalls are going to donating a part of their income to the proceeds as well.

I am supporting this ... Looking forward your support as well

Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities-2mfzm1.jpg

Looking for :-

Special offer of the moment - http://goo.gl/DpuEF0
Old 27th September 2013, 09:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities

What is it like to sleep under the stars ?

Old 27th September 2013, 11:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

Great thread! definitely needs more inputs!

I have an simple idea which might workout, clicking ads on websites generates money. so instead of asking people to donate money we can have a website created, where people can click/watch ads and the revenue from the same can be donated to random organizations, which can be posted on the website.

Anyone with good knowledge in website designing can initiate this, separate websites for each state/city would be better as users could easily track if the funds have really been used for the right cause.
Old 28th September 2013, 14:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

C'mon folks, we are an 80K member forum. Was hoping for a warmer response :-)

I'm sure a lot of BLR junta resides in Whitefield (at least going by the sticker sightings ), the Ascendas ground is bang next to ITPL.
Old 20th February 2014, 19:27   #36
BHPian

Mom's Cakes & Bakes

This is for all guys in Hyderabad or who pass by and can do a little to help.

Please visit www.allgodcreation.com -

I have reproduced below with a bit of change the home page as below

Mom's Cakes & Bakes came into being from an idea to creatively engage Roshan my wife's friend's son with Special Needs. Like all children who have a condition called Autism, Roshan is motivated to help and gets very involved in the process of baking so long as the results are yummy. He is the quiet chef who certifies our products made from the best and purest ingredients mixed with love and careful attention to detail. Marie and the rest of the family have got their creative juices together and years of collective experience to come up with delightful and tasty treats that everyone can enjoy.

Each bite you take helps Roshan in finding fulfilment in his otherwise socially limited life. We sincerely hope you will be encouraged to help children like Roshan who love to live a life of dignity and financial independence despite their limited God given abilities.

www.autism-india.org

Please do visit and help a person live with dignity!

Last edited by shashi63 : 20th February 2014 at 19:29.
Old 21st February 2014, 19:54   #37
Team-BHP Support

As a rule, I don't entertain charity calls. Most of these people can't answer even a few generic questions about how they spend the donations. It's more of a 'trust us we're good' approach.

Another reason I detest throwing money at social problems is the satisfaction & happiness gained fades away very quickly and you have no idea if your donation actually did any good at all. I rather prefer getting involved in stuff that demands some level of personal involvement as well, like volunteer teaching at government or weekend schools, paying for housemaid's kid's educational expenses (not just pay fees, but ensure the kid actually goes to school by keeping track of their progress etc. and help occasionally in studies, esp. exam preps).

I've met some good folks involved with such activities over the years (both donors and recipients), and they agree almost unanimously that the personal involvement is much appreciated, sometimes more than the cash donated. A kid I helped a few years ago told me it felt like begging just to ask for money for school, but getting help with actual studies made him appreciate what he was getting.
Old 21st February 2014, 20:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I have always wanted to help in any small way i can, to fund charities for noble causes like educating a poor child , help for visually impared , cancer patients etc. From what i gather, even a small amount as little as 100 rs from us can go a big way in helping us do our social responsibilities. So the amount doesnt really matter, what matters is willingness.

Why not use this platform to share any genuine charity organisations (preferably those that accept online donations) for those of us willing to help.

Amy inputs ?
You can donate to the MADAT CHARITABLE TRUST.. details at www.copewithcancer.org
Old 21st February 2014, 20:42   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
As a rule, I don't entertain charity calls. Most of these people can't answer even a few generic questions about how they spend the donations. It's more of a 'trust us we're good' approach.

Another reason I detest throwing money at social problems is the satisfaction & happiness gained fades away very quickly and you have no idea if your donation actually did any good at all. I rather prefer getting involved in stuff that demands some level of personal involvement as well, like volunteer teaching at government or weekend schools, paying for housemaid's kid's educational expenses (not just pay fees, but ensure the kid actually goes to school by keeping track of their progress etc. and help occasionally in studies, esp. exam preps).

I've met some good folks involved with such activities over the years (both donors and recipients), and they agree almost unanimously that the personal involvement is much appreciated, sometimes more than the cash donated. A kid I helped a few years ago told me it felt like begging just to ask for money for school, but getting help with actual studies made him appreciate what he was getting.
Agreed cent per cent with you. Personal involvement and helping the people who are a part of your lives is much more meaningful than donating to a charity that is already reaping funds from massive campaigns and advertisements.

It makes more sense to see the needs of people around you and try your best to fulfill those. At least you are sure that the money spent was worth being spent for folks.
Old 22nd February 2014, 23:25   #40
BHPian

Re: Mom's Cakes & Bakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
This is for all guys in Hyderabad or who pass by and can do a little to help.

Please visit www.allgodcreation.com -
Sorry Guys.I had made a mistake in the link.It now stands corrected.

http://www.allgodscreation.com/

Please do visit and help!

Thank!s

Last edited by shashi63 : 22nd February 2014 at 23:26.
Old 6th March 2014, 09:53   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

As a BHPian I do believe we have many people here interested in changing the world and our country for better. Trust me when I say this, nothing is better than when you take the first initiative. Give a small part of your monthly income once, howsoever small just make a start. I'm not defining who should give how much, all I'm saying is one small drop may lead to bigger and better things in future. It doesn't matter what age you are or what income you get, its what you give with happiness to a good cause that counts. Sure creating awareness and volunteering is all part of making the change, but in a world where finances mean everything most charities find that they cannot do what they set out to do without funding.

I'm a shade under 30 and I realise now that its the collective responsibility of todays society that can end suffering tomorrow. Places like Unicef, Save the Children, PETA are all worthwhile causes. They say charity is voluntary and should never be spoken of and I fully understand why. This isn't about me or anyone else, it is about those without hope wondering why they are here. Its about time somebody gave them a reason. Those of you who want to, please begin today. Thank you for reading.
Old 9th March 2014, 13:45   #42
BHPian

Help Cerebral Palsy (CP) affected children

Moderators: please feel free to move or remove the topic if you find not relevant here.

Fellow Team-BHPians,

Cerebral palsy (CP) is a physical disability that affects movement and posture.

Cerebral palsy (CP) is an umbrella term that refers to a group of disorders affecting a person’s ability to move. It is a permanent life-long condition, but generally does not worsen over time. It is due to damage to the developing brain either during pregnancy or shortly after birth.

Cerebral palsy affects people in different ways and can affect body movement, muscle control, muscle coordination, muscle tone, reflex, posture and balance.

People who have cerebral palsy may also have visual, learning, hearing, speech, epilepsy and intellectual impairments.

Balajothi - cares for such disabled children.

I am running a fund raising event that ends on 31st March and by then we need to raise at a minimum $5000 from 40+ donors.

I need all your support to make this event successful, so request you to spread the word as well as donate on line through Global Giving.

Please click on the below link in order to donate on line:
https://www.globalgiving.org/project...-and-training/

Here is a shorter link for easy sharing on facebook/twitter
http://goto.gg/16587

Last edited by ajitkumarlb : 9th March 2014 at 13:51.
Old 9th March 2014, 13:49   #43
BHPian

More information about Balajothi & the event

Based in Bangalore, Balajothi Centre for the Disabled (www.balajothi.org) founded in 2004, is a non-profit wholly charitable registered trust, committed to serve the disabled and underprivileged, by providing rehabilitation, education / special education and vocational training to persons with all forms of physical and mental disabilities including autism, cerebral palsy, mental retardation, speech impairment and multiple disabilities.

In this month of March 2014, we are running an online fund raising event with support from www.GlobalGiving.com an charity fundraising web site that helps NGOs like us reach donors globally to raise funds, it also help us enlist ourselves in the CSR program of major corporates to benefit from their programs as well.

The funds raised through this event will help re-build and restore to near-normalcy the lives of around fifty children with special needs to whom we provide physiotherapy, speech-therapy, occupational and music therapies, pre-vocational training and counselling sessions to help these children become self-reliant, confident and useful individuals. Parents of Cerebral Palsy (CP) affected children are also involved so that they are cared for in their home environment as well.

Neglect of a CP impaired child can lead to lifelong inadequacies impacting the child's life. Regular therapy & training sessions help the children lead near-normal lives. Failure results in tightening of ligaments & spasticity leading to permanent immobility.

They are trained for: SELF CARE: bathing, toileting, dressing & grooming. MOBILITY: to safely and independently move around. Communication & Social Relationships: Child's interaction especially other people. Thus giving them SELF ESTEEM.

There are many families around us struggling with disabled children but we seldom see them outside because of the social stigma connected to our religious sentiments and the impact on their social lives. Most of these children are considered a burden and consequently lead lives of misery.

Through our advocacy and barrier-breaking efforts we strive to bring a new lease of life to these children and you are invited to be a part of this noble task.
Old 10th November 2015, 13:04   #44
BHPian

I intend starting some sort of charity for people suffering from asthma in Mumbai.

I used to be an asthmatic when I was younger and grew out of it, but while I was suffering I need a lot of expensive medication and care, most of the lesser fortune don't have the means for this sort of 'control medication' which helped me a lot.
OK long story short, I feel the need to help these people out by starting some sort of charity wherein I can help them with medication/doctors fees etc.

The plan is setup something as an intermediary where in a I can get funds from people who want to help but don't have the time. I too will put in some funds to get start but for it to make a difference I will need external monetary help.

My question here is : How do I go about starting this? 1. How do I make it known to people/ municipal hospitals etc that I intend do such a thing.

2. How do I get people to support me monetarily.

I'll get it started with X amount and then eventually envisage being the intermediary/ taking care of the administration and facilitation part.
Old 11th November 2015, 14:40   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post

My question here is : How do I go about starting this? 1. How do I make it known to people/ municipal hospitals etc that I intend do such a thing.

2. How do I get people to support me monetarily.

I'll get it started with X amount and then eventually envisage being the intermediary/ taking care of the administration and facilitation part.
Any help to the society is a noble cause, and defines being a human. My suggestion would be to find some like minded people / people who buy your thoughts and start it in an informal way. This is much better than starting alone, since we cannot be at all places all the time, and more hands the better its to reach out. Once it gets enough traction, get it registered as a Charitable trust (not sure of the legal process and requirements for it). This would help in getting the tax exclusion. In parallel the message can be spread as word of mouth, which is the best way during initial days.

Just my suggestion, I am sure experts can chip in on other dimensions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks