Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2008, 16:50   #46
BHPian

Reached office after much of struggle. Thankfully didn't take my car out. As expected the stretch from Koyambedu till Ambica empire is flooded, so don't risk taking out your cars on this stretch. There were traffic jams on this stretch with vehicles struggling to navigate through the water(2ft in some places) . It took me almost 1 hour to reach Ashok Pillar from Goldenflats(Mogappair) in the bus, and my colleague picked me up in his car from there.

There was water stagnation and traffic blocks near the Ambaal nagar junction too. So people returning back from work start a bit early and expect traffic jams all along. I guess i will start from Perungudi in another 1 or 2 hours.

One of my colleagues travelled from Ayanavaram to Perungudi and he didn't face any issues of traffic or water logging. He took the Egmore-Mountroad-Cenetoph-Kotturpuram-Tidel route.
Old 27th November 2008, 17:14   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Good quantity of water on Turnbulls road, just when you enter the road from Cenotaph road.
OT: Cenotaph Road was recently made one-way from the junction of Turnbulls Road - Chamiers Road until Mount Road (Karamuttu building). Entry to Turnbulls Road is only from Chamiers Road (either side of Turnbulls Road). Please tell me the one-way has been revoked - this would be great news.

Last edited by hrag : 27th November 2008 at 17:15.
Old 27th November 2008, 17:24   #48
BHPian

Guys.

I have a trip planned to Chennai. Plan is to leave tonight (Thursday night) by KPN travels bus and start back to bangalore on Sunday night by bus.

And in chennai, I would need to commute between ECR (Valmiki Nagar) to Nungambakkam for the two days, Friday and Saturday

I am still wondering whether to do this trip or postpone it. I have a regular check up with an eye hospital (Shankara Nethralay) there, which could be postponed for the next weekend or so

Whatsay you guys? Need advice ASAP. So that, if need be, I can cancel my tickets!
Old 27th November 2008, 17:30   #49
Senior - BHPian

@iswear: POSTPONE!
Old 27th November 2008, 17:37   #50
BHPian

Has anybody been inside SIPCOT IT Park ? All you Offroaders you gotta see this.
Old 27th November 2008, 17:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

For high water, 2WD with high GC is enough. But, we're gonna mess up the alternator,etc.
Chances of losing the engine too.

Btw, how high is the water level there?
Old 27th November 2008, 17:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
sounds exciting .. got a pic?
Old 27th November 2008, 17:57   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post

wow looks like chennai is floating?? you have any pics??
btw looks like this climate would continue for next couple of days.

long weekend for the chennai crowd...

is it still raining heavily???

Last edited by lohithrao : 27th November 2008 at 18:12.
Old 27th November 2008, 18:04   #54
BANNED

Just heard that Indira Nagar, Adayar has knee deep water almost everywhere.

Iswear - if you can postpone the appointment, please do so. If you can't, no sweat - you can still make it with some delays.
Old 27th November 2008, 18:11   #55
BHPian

- Huge river in front of Olympia tech park.
- my swift barely made it out - lots of smokey action.
- KK Nagar is flooded. most of the access routes have water
- No problems yet on Butt road, Poonamalee high road
- Bus drivers are a33holes.
Old 27th November 2008, 21:10   #56
BHPian

Just been through a dreadful trip from perungudi to mogappair. Started at 6PM from Perungudi and headed to Ayanavaram in a friend's santro. Made it to Ayanavaram at 8:15PM , took a bus to Padi from there and reached home at 9PM.

Traffic Jam at Tidel junction wasn't unusual but the flood in Kotturpuram was. We didn't have much problem though but was scared after seeing a Laura being pushed out of water. After this the travel was smooth till the Motcham theatre junction. We took the Spencer's-Egmore subway - KMC route. Almost stuck in the middle of around 2ft water in the Motcham theatre junction. All in all the experience was something i wish i never really had.

Special thanks to Srikanth for the route suggestions.
Old 27th November 2008, 21:49   #57
Senior - BHPian

Did an outing today to explore Chennai in Water. Not bad considering most areas i'd expected to be underwater had traffic moving and not much water.

Went from RK Salai via Kotturpuram to OMR, Sholinganallur turn left to ECR past juhu Beach beyond Mayajaal etc.. ofcourse in my MM540 DP 4WD.

While coming back to chennai around 4:30 - 5pm it was raining cats and dogs and OMR was a flowing river. ECR was not bad.

OMR till madhya kailash was a running river with upto 1/2 ft of water -> Great for aquaplaning.

Madhyakailash junction saw a huge traffic jam until Kotturpuram Rd. Signal. Thw eater was around 1-1.5 ft near the kerbs.

Kotturpuram road was a mess with a lot of water upto Anna University Side Entrance, then it cleared up until the bridge. Fair amount of water at the cenetaph road junction [Hrag - its still a 1 way].

TTK Road and RK salai saw the usual "not much water".

As I'm a little weak in driving through water, i had to do this trip to regain my confidence!

Cool scene, the jeep was Ok and so was I

BTW, the cyclone has crossed near Karaikal 160 kms from Chennai around 5pm. Hence predicted Sunshine by 11AM tommorrow.

Chennai misses the Heat with a Max of 26 and a min of 24 deg C.
Old 27th November 2008, 22:06   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
For high water, 2WD with high GC is enough. But, we're gonna mess up the alternator,etc.
Chances of losing the engine too.

Btw, how high is the water level there?
The Water's drained now washing away an already non-existent road. There's a million giant size Pot holes to explore now. An absolute torture for the cars.

Sorry can't take pictures. Don't have a Cam Phone

Anyone tried the beach during the Storm. i did and the wind was awesome yesterday.
Old 27th November 2008, 23:24   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADERS
Did an outing today to explore Chennai in Water.
Years ago, did this once in my jeep feeling invincible wading through knee-deep water.It was until I came across an intersection where I had to brake and realised it did nothing.
Old 28th November 2008, 04:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Actually the cyclone had the landfall yesterday morning not afternoon / evening as reported by most channels
Closed Thread

Most Viewed