Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 15:33   #1
BHPian

Creating a better world, one couch at a time

A website which hosts inspiring talks was discovered by me on one of those regular forwards in emails. One such inspiring talk was Jonathan Zittrain: The Web as random acts of kindness | Video on TED.com This video shows that the BIG, bad world need not be that bad.

During the end of the talk, the speaker mentioned about CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time Most of us would think about promoting couch potatoes, but that's not the case here. CouchSurfing is :

Quote:
CouchSurfing is an international non-profit network that connects travelers with locals in over 230 countries and territories around the world. Since 2004, members have been using our system to come together for cultural exchange, friendship, and learning experiences. Today, over a million people who might otherwise never meet are able to share hospitality and cultural understanding.

Our mission as an organization is to create inspiring experiences: cross-cultural encounters that are fun, engaging, and illuminating. These experiences take many forms. CouchSurfing's initial focus was on hosting and "surfing" (staying with a local as a guest in their home). Alongside these core experiences, we now also facilitate a growing array of activities and events.

We have a vision of a world where everyone can explore and create meaningful connections with the people and places they encounter. Each CouchSurfing experience shared by our members brings us closer to that vision. CouchSurfing experience shared by our members brings us closer to that vision.
I think this is a wonderful initiative and believe it or not there are numerous Indians who are ready to lend their couch for the travelers! This will really help out for people who are traveling alone or in pairs, like bikers. It is a wonderful initiative to show the world that we (still) care
Old 7th June 2010, 15:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Couchsurfing is like a god send for many a people. I have hosted more than 20 people in my couch. I have surfed just one in Italy.

Hope many more of you guys get into this too. But hey, everything has its ups and downs. The same applies here. There are often request from free loaders to which I openly refuse. I participate in the way I feel right.

Last edited by beejay : 7th June 2010 at 15:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks