Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 15:12   #31
BHPian

From TOI : Shame! India sold its dead cheap : India : Shobhan Saxena : TOI Blogs
Old 8th June 2010, 15:32   #32
BHPian

This is India. This is Natural.
Starting from politicians, officials, bureaucrats, celebrities, companies, corporates & saadhus, sanyasis so many were accused of bribe, corruption, mal-practice and how many were found guilty and sentenced. It will be none or 1/2 at the max.
If you have money you can get away with anything. PERIOD.

Why should such a straight forward case take so many years to come to a verdict.

What happened to the officials who would have given the NOC's, they should have been the first person to be punished.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Well here is the question, we all know the BP a british company was the reason for the oil spill which is affecting the shores of US. and the wildlife surronding it.

For those who mentioned that US would have not done that same if it was an indian company. Now BP is a british company, do you expect Obama to prosecute the CEO of BP for a oil spill done by a foreign company in its shore.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Well here is the question, we all know the BP a british company was the reason for the oil spill which is affecting the shores of US. and the wildlife surronding it.

For those who mentioned that US would have not done that same if it was an indian company. Now BP is a british company, do you expect Obama to prosecute the CEO of BP for a oil spill done by a foreign company in its shore.
I understand but this oil spill has not costed 20000 lives.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:47   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Any country will go by the rules and laws that run that country. In this case it was a catastrophe. That does not necessarily mean it was criminal. It may have been just an accident. You mentioned a culprit. Are you saying he was responsible for this? If tomorrow a reliance pipeline bursts, would you expect the regional manager to be jailed? If he willingly did this to hurt people, then yes.
If not Anderson whom do you think should take the blame?
the ground-level workers who were on duty on that fatefull day?
they weren't responsible for implementing safety guidelines.

It was defnitley not a natural distaster as you seem to suggest.
If the owner of Uphaar Cinemas can be convicted in this very same country why not the head of a company that neglected safety guidelines resulting in umimaginable devastation.
Old 8th June 2010, 18:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
I understand but this oil spill has not costed 20000 lives.
There are good chances that it will affect more than that in the future as oil spill cannot be cleaned 100%. Off the shore yes it can, in the sea nope. Besides it has killed more sea life, I hope we don't think marine life is low life now do we ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
I'm afraid this thread is going to veer into the political side and hence get locked...With posts like that
No. I don't quite think you understood the message behind the posts. There is this national disaster but people are more interested in killing under age terrorists (in the pictures) and sending troops here and there. I guess what goes around comes around.

So in India we could not do much about our national disaster and here also it is pretty much the same.
Old 8th June 2010, 18:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
There are good chances that it will affect more than that in the future as oil spill cannot be cleaned 100%. Off the shore yes it can, in the sea nope. Besides it has killed more sea life, I hope we don't think marine life is low life now do we?
actually we do. we eat them don't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
If not Anderson whom do you think should take the blame?
the ground-level workers who were on duty on that fatefull day?
they weren't responsible for implementing safety guidelines.

It was defnitley not a natural distaster as you seem to suggest.

If the owner of Uphaar Cinemas can be convicted in this very same country why not the head of a company that neglected safety guidelines resulting in umimaginable devastation.
collector of bhopal. going by your logic:
If not Collector whom do you think should take the blame?

Huh? since when is a pipeline burst considered a natural disaster?

for all those hungry for anderson's blood, I did some reading and looks like he is an absconder and only option we would have had would be to alert interpol and get him extradited. But for extradition I would give first priority to the underworld don sitting in dubai rather than an industrialist who would be in limelight for his low costs had this disaster not happened (See below).

In business everybody takes risks. BP had been arguing for operating without relief wells in canada for a while, and now it looks like they were wrong. Business and govt regulation always play cat and mouse game, and I am surprised nobody has pointed fingers on regulators and inspectors who probably got their share while the company was running well. There are hundreds others who appear in frontline of economics times with praises from bringing in profits but god only knows how much risk they take to maximize their profits. Interested folks can also follow the recent coal mine blasts in US and the another coal mine accident in china. You will see how they have been circumventing regulations to keep their costs low.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 8th June 2010 at 18:25.
Old 8th June 2010, 19:38   #38
BHPian

This is a joke of the year, after such a long time & after seeing so many unnecessary deaths & suffering, the minimum that should have been levied was the death sentence to all concerned.

What kind of stupid judicial system do we have !? This is a contravention of basic common sense & negligence. If this had to happen in Dubai or even China, heads would have rolled (literally) in months.

Hope somebody wakes up and sends all the accused to the gallows. This sends out a very bad message to industry - Do whatever you want, flout all safety rules, care a hoot for employees & public's life & health, shell out money & escape.

Sad state , made me hang my head in shame today at the poor state of affairs.

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 8th June 2010 at 19:45.
Old 8th June 2010, 19:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
There are good chances that it will affect more than that in the future as oil spill cannot be cleaned 100%. Off the shore yes it can, in the sea nope. Besides it has killed more sea life, I hope we don't think marine life is low life now do we ?

No. I don't quite think you understood the message behind the posts. There is this national disaster but people are more interested in killing under age terrorists (in the pictures) and sending troops here and there. I guess what goes around comes around.

So in India we could not do much about our national disaster and here also it is pretty much the same.
I just posted earlier what the US government is doing to clean up the spill. O don't know if you missed it or not. Yes, America is involved in two wars now, but that's not all that we do. It seems to me all people do in this country is criticize America for xyz.
Old 8th June 2010, 20:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

I am from Bhopal & according to me, If anyone is to be blamed then its the the Indian Govt official during that period, if there was poor safety arangement then the Concerned Govt official should have reported it in the industrial audits. Also it was the Govt who let Warren Anderson escape/get away call it what ever.

Any country would want be concerned about its people & America would have been right if they did indeed took extra steps to safe guard Warren Anderson.

So at the end, its our Polictical/Judicial/Govt system that should be blamed & no-one else

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
It seems to me all people do in this country is criticize America for xyz.
Care to explain the reasoning behind this blanket statement?
Old 8th June 2010, 20:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
I just posted earlier what the US government is doing to clean up the spill. O don't know if you missed it or not. Yes, America is involved in two wars now, but that's not all that we do. It seems to me all people do in this country is criticize America for xyz.
Man! I feel you are very very innocent. And lets keep it that way as I can't invest time who is not aware. I suggest you listen to what Jindal and other guys are saying. This is not what the topic of this thread is anyway. So I withdraw unless provoked. No offences.
Old 8th June 2010, 20:23   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Yes, of course! Actually, the rig is not even operated by BP, so those who choose the slimy escape from corporate responsibility route have their chances. One of those little snippets though, from some time back in that particular horror story (how long has it been now?) was that BP company men wanted stuff done that the contractor's engineers were not happy with.

By the way, despite its name and its origins, isn't BP Dutch?
Old 8th June 2010, 20:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
Yes, America is involved in two wars now, but that's not all that we do. It seems to me all people do in this country is criticize America for xyz.
Wars ??? Hello, those are straightforward and unwarranted invasion & destruction of two sovereign countries.

And regarding criticism, well it ain't really misplaced. Atleast in most cases.

Let's just assume Mr.Anderson was an Indian whose company located in the US caused a major disaster in which thousands of Americans died. And he promptly flees the US and lands in India. Does anyone think the US is going to let him be "absconding" and try to forget the national disaster and move on ? Fat chance.
Old 8th June 2010, 20:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
actually we do. we eat them don't we?
Cool so with that dictat Sharks and ilk eat us. So we are low life for them is it ? Whaaaaaat!!!!!!! . Later:
Old 8th June 2010, 21:21   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I am from Bhopal & according to me, If anyone is to be blamed then its the the Indian Govt official during that period, if there was poor safety arangement then the Concerned Govt official should have reported it in the industrial audits. Also it was the Govt who let Warren Anderson escape/get away call it what ever.

Any country would want be concerned about its people & America would have been right if they did indeed took extra steps to safe guard Warren Anderson.

So at the end, its our Polictical/Judicial/Govt system that should be blamed & no-one else

Care to explain the reasoning behind this blanket statement?
For the past two days that's all I've been hearing on tv. Whenever I talk politics with localites, most of the time the US gets assigned the blame for whatever it is, the whole furore from the left on the nuclear deal, and so on

Quote:
Man! I feel you are very very innocent. And lets keep it that way as I can't invest time who is not aware. I suggest you listen to what Jindal and other guys are saying. This is not what the topic of this thread is anyway. So I withdraw unless provoked. No offences.
First off, you don't know me so please don't call me innocent. Second off, I was born and raised in the States and I have lived there almost my whole life so I am plenty aware of what is going on. If you want to argue politics and foreign policy with me it's fine, but not in this thread. Back to the topic; if one reads the wiki article on Bhopal, it's pretty clear about the legal situation. Yes, it is sad, but that's how US laws work unfortunetly.

Last edited by Eddy : 8th June 2010 at 23:34. Reason: Back to back posts.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks