Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2005, 17:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Drive around North Karnataka

I may be driving around in North Karnataka sometime soon. Are there any good places to see/visit/stay in North/Central Karnataka? I'll be starting from Pune -> Solapur -> Gulbarga -> ..... ....-> Pune. The middle blanks need to be filled up.

I'll be going along with my family and not backpacking, so want to plan it accordingly. Pass on whatever information you have regarding roads, accommodation (hotels), places to visit and not to visit etc. I'll have around 4-5 days for this travel.
Old 29th October 2005, 00:12   #2
BHPian

Rx

If you are interested in archeology/monuments/history etc, Then dont miss out Bijapur. Apart from the Gol-Gumbaz ( Whispering Gallery - visit early in the morning to experience it), there are lots of other monuments which will take a good amount of ur time. badami/pattadkal/aihole,

-Haque.
Old 29th October 2005, 23:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Haque, I am not particularly fond of museums and monuments, especially after seen umpteen of them in places in India, US, Europe. Now a days, they have started all looking alike to me. My family might be interested in those though. I am keen on visiting Hampi (and May be a quick visit to Karwar/Jog falls if possible).
Old 30th October 2005, 05:06   #4
BHPian

Hmm, Karwar is a good choice, though it would be away from Gulbarga... If Gulbarga is not really your destination, then you could cover up Karwar/Dandeli ( Jungle Lodges & Resorts have a camp here and organise water sports/river rafting etc. Not sure about the best season ). If you are interested in Jog Falls, you could check out Honnemarudu, its a short distance away from Jog ( a adventure/nature camp managed by The Adventurers ( ?), Bangalore ). Its a good retreat from the hustle n bustle of city life... Then again u could either go to Udupi/Mangalore or to Chikmagalur... This would be the south karnataka, way off ur North Karnataka target...

I hope I have got my geography right, guys pitch in if I have erred.

btw, you might consider having a look at this forum too: www.virtualtourist.com

_Haque.
Old 30th October 2005, 13:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Karwar-Dandeli-Jog Falls-Hampi would be good, I've heard good stuff about Honnemarudu though I havent been to the camp. You could return inland via Kolhapur where a visit to Ichalkaranji would keep the ladies in the family happy.

Have a good trip!
Old 31st October 2005, 01:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Haque and Steeroid! Gulbarga is a must on the itinerary. I have option of visiting Hyderabad, or take a tour of north Karnataka. I find the later option more lucrative.

Steeroid, I am surprised that you know of Ichalkaranji. Unforunately, from where I come from, it is too well known place to be of any surprise :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks