Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 22:18   #91
BHPian

I am not able to a good driver in pune below 7-8 k. If anybody have any references please pass on/ PM me.
Old 29th November 2010, 22:23   #92
BANNED

From the time BPOs picked up the demand for drivers have increased ,now companies hire anyone with a valid license as they are in pressure to run the vehicles ,which in turn results in BAD ,Rash driver and HIGH SALARIES !

A min of 6k is the starting here in chennai
Old 30th November 2010, 00:33   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
From the time BPOs picked up the demand for drivers have increased ,now companies hire anyone with a valid license as they are in pressure to run the vehicles ,which in turn results in BAD ,Rash driver and HIGH SALARIES !

A min of 6k is the starting here in chennai
I did not understand how that leads to bad, rash driving? because they have valid license? For a driver thats the criteria - a valid driving license.

High salary point is logical. High demand may lead to high price.
Old 30th November 2010, 11:19   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I did not understand how that leads to bad, rash driving? because they have valid license? For a driver thats the criteria - a valid driving license.
He is talking about India. Which part of the world are you in?

Even a brain-dead human can get a "valid driving license" here. Now how can a brain-dead human drive a car with a "valid driving license"? If you are in Bangalore sometime, I will show you how.

Last edited by Spitfire : 30th November 2010 at 11:23.
Old 30th November 2010, 20:09   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
He is talking about India. Which part of the world are you in?

Even a brain-dead human can get a "valid driving license" here. Now how can a brain-dead human drive a car with a "valid driving license"? If you are in Bangalore sometime, I will show you how.
Where ever I am I know about very well. If the "brain dead human" can get a driving license then whose fault is this? The "brain dead human's" or the licensing authority. How does one find out that he is brain dead human before employing him? What should be the qualifications to keep a driver?

I dont have to come to the techie city to see brain dead people. I am sure, you also know in your hearts, that out of those so called brain dead people actually most of the brainy people, earning decently and doing well for themselves.

And if you can find these people so many then why blame the BPOs only. There are people who are driving with their beloved families who drive like brain dead people.

Its all about mentality. Which is very difficult to change in India at least. So live with it and be happy!

I like your handle BTW. (pun intended).

Last edited by TaureanBull : 30th November 2010 at 20:14.
Old 30th November 2010, 20:56   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I like your handle BTW. (pun intended).
Sorry for posting a reply to your post. Lesson learned. Thank you.
Old 30th November 2010, 22:23   #97
BHPian

We pay around 8500 per month as basic salary for a 12 hour shift, 6 days a week. Rs 20 per hour for overtime, and Rs 30 for dinner post 9.30 pm. Another Rs 50 as 'auto' fare if his duty runs till 2-3 in the night.
Old 13th January 2013, 20:05   #98
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driver salaries / pay

Bumping this thread after 2 years as I wanted to hire a driver in Bangalore for a 12 hr shift. What would the normal pay be?
Old 14th January 2013, 07:03   #99
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

These days you would be hard pressed to get a good driver at anything less than 10K per month to 12K per month in Bangalore.
Starting time 0800- ending time 2000hrs in general.
Additionally, you would need to look after them by giving them one month salary as bonus every Diwali/ Christmas.
Clothing allowances, general expenditure moneys like lunch and so on. Overtime in case you use their services after hours and on weekends. Overtime rates are not cheap. 50 to 100 per hour extra. Food allowances of at least Rs 50 per meal.
Then unless he lives nearby, there is the question of his transportation so as to be able to arrive and leave on time or after hours. If he relies on buses then you are in for trouble, so you will end up buying him a motorbike or moped or scooter, which you will own and hence, shall need to maintain. Or you will need to pay him well enough for him to maintain...
Also budget for long periods of idle time - when you are working in the office the driver will be lurking in the car and banging on the AC, Music, Entertainment system(s) or all of the above and sleeping in the vehicle.
Add also the fact that on hot days with such long periods of idleness and the fact that he is sleeping in the car the whole time, the car is going to smell rather odd.

It works well in a joint family setup - lets say both you and your wife work and there are school going kids. And there are one's elderly folks at home, plus general shopping etc to be done.
In cases like this, the driver can come along in the morning and do the school dropping run and then after that, drop the husband and wife to work at their respective places and then take the vehicle back to the parents who can use his services as required for their local buzzing around and socializing and so on. He can possibly take one of other other help to do the shopping etc and get back. Then he can do the school pickup run and in the evening, the driver can toddle along, pick up the wife, husband etc and return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Bumping this thread after 2 years as I wanted to hire a driver in Bangalore for a 12 hr shift. What would the normal pay be?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th January 2013 at 07:06.
Old 14th January 2013, 19:27   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
My parents and I hired a driver 2 weeks back. We were looking for a driver with many years of experience and who we could trust with all of our vehicles. (we have 3 at home one of them being a Fortuner, which is relatively difficult to drive).

We found one after a lot of interviewing . We are paying 11.5K per month. Additionally, we pay him if he is on the road for 3-4 hours on a continuous basis and for lending a helping hand at home, all of which could work out to an additional Rs700-Rs1000 per month.

His work timings are from 9am -6:30pm everyday excluding Sundays. He gets an hour off for lunch. He gets some of the festival days off as well. We dont require him to work overtime often , however, if he does, we have agreed to pay Rs 60 an hour.
Old 26th March 2014, 10:36   #101
BHPian

annnd Bumping again after a year.
What's the average salaries for a full time driver in Bangalore these days? Start driving around 8:30am and end around 6/7pm.

Thanks,
Kapil
Old 26th March 2014, 11:30   #102
BHPian

Interesting thread.

I wish to add that apart from license and the years of experience, I have seen demands coming from people in NCR for well built drivers (read body builders). The reason cited is - reduces day-to-day road rage, when even a minor bump ensues a heated argument, by way of other drivers choosing to ignore such brushes looking at the size of the man behind wheels. The average cost to hire such guys is about 15k for 6 days and about 100-200 for food every day. Background check is the most important thing though here!

This experience is firsthand from a very close friend's security company!
Old 26th March 2014, 11:36   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
Interesting thread.

I wish to add that apart from license and the years of experience, I have seen demands coming from people in NCR for well built drivers (read body builders). The reason cited is - reduces day-to-day road rage, when even a minor bump ensues a heated argument, by way of other drivers choosing to ignore such brushes looking at the size of the man behind wheels.
Really? WoW! quite valid though. pay for driver get a body guard free.
Inflation just hits you when you go through this thread eh. OP started off with something like 4k in 2005. ~10k a month bump in 9 years.
Old 26th March 2014, 11:45   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Really? WoW! quite valid though. pay for driver get a body guard free.
You would be surprised that common people like mid to high middle class came looking for these kind of drivers. Since I interacted with them and created a business model around, I realized the need is because of insecurity and the pathetic response of our ill equipped police force to deal with might-is-right on road! You know how even a common Joe would retort with - Do you know who I am?

But yes a serious business to get in if one can build trust.
Old 26th March 2014, 15:18   #105

Seems to be a good discussion. Now that i have one, i realized the importance of this discussion.

Well, i pay my driver 12.5K/month in mumbai. He starts at 8 in the morning and normally till 6 in the evening. I normally pay him extra 200 bucks in case he is working post 9 PM (hardly 2-3 times a month). Sunday is an off day for him.

Most Viewed