Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:48   #46
BHPian

In Jaipur we pay 14k to our 10+ years old driver. But we squeeze out much more that what we pay He does the driving, mantains and guards the house, office and vehicles, does petty works in my export house like taking care of petty documents and submitting them in banks and here and there etc. takes my family around, helps the packaging staff with packing at work and sometimes cooks too when there is no one to cook. On a few occasions I have seen him washing linens as well.
Old 3rd October 2007, 15:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Most of us have a driver because its just too crazy trying to drive in peak hour traffic. What are the economics of getting an automatic transmission car versus hiring a driver? Granted driving an auto is not like sitting in the backseat but it does take out the biggest pain of crawling in traffic.

The additional cost and the drop in FE should more than account for the 5-6K /mo that you need to pay the driver. Plus you dont have to worry about the guy not showing up or staying late or sitting idle for hours on end. Your Comments?
I opted for that. The upfront cost is about 80k higher as compared to a Honda City GX. Driver's salary I guess would be 5k + added maintenance since most drivers would ruin the car faster than a normal owner driver.

So upfront cost is recovered in about 8-15 months time (depending on whether you get a WagonR or a Corolla/CRV).

The comfort of driving an auto is much more and inching thru / waiting in traffic is not so stressful.
Old 3rd October 2007, 16:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
In Jaipur we pay 14k to our 10+ years old driver. But we squeeze out much more that what we pay He does the driving, mantains and guards the house, office and vehicles, does petty works in my export house like taking care of petty documents and submitting them in banks and here and there etc. takes my family around, helps the packaging staff with packing at work and sometimes cooks too when there is no one to cook. On a few occasions I have seen him washing linens as well.
there is a catch to what youve said!! he is close to a personal[excecutive] assistant to you or your father!! then thats a very low salary.

Normally salaries vary across the board, from a measely 3500 to a princely 20000 in mumbai
Old 3rd October 2007, 17:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post

Isn't he a bit underage?? and some of us scream blue murder when it comes to underage driving. way to go.
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
GTO, our drivers do work such as collating post, running the xerox machine, while they are in the office. even then they do have some idle time. so do i that is what i use to log in to this fourm :-)
I was thinking that your driver perhaps mods crossovers and builds speaker enclosures for you when he's not driving cars.
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

I guesss the driver's pay includes cleaning and maintaining the car in a decent condition. Am I right?
Old 3rd October 2007, 22:24   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Isn't he a bit underage?? and some of us scream blue murder when it comes to underage driving. way to go.
I think he means that their driver has been working for 10+ years, not his age.

Anyway, I never had a car so don't have a driver. My cousin used to run his own taxi in Bihar and when he moved to Hyderabad he briefly worked as a company driver for a security. He used to get around 5000 + gets to keep car on weekends. This was in 2005. Now he runs his own cab company working for a bunch of call centers.
Back in 2000 when I was in Hyderabad, my friend used to have 4 cars and 1 driver to chauffer his mom around. They used to pay him 3000 Rs + bus fare + meals. I see that in 7 years, the driver pay has not changed much while pay in IT industry has increased 100%. It makes sense though as there are so many unemployed people out there, it is so easy to find someone to work for cheap.
Old 4th October 2007, 01:13   #53
BHPian

I hate drivers. I find them to be terrible at following traffic rules, such as by cutting red lights, not following lane driving, driving really really slow in the right lane etc. On top of that drivers don't have the proper background in the mechanics of cars that they should have - usually their knowledge is limited to changing tyres and topping up fluids. I think Delhi would be a much better place to drive if either there were no drivers, or if they had to go through some mandatory training of some standard. Most of them tend to be illiterate youth, who don't really have any other employable skills.
Old 4th October 2007, 01:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
I think he means that their driver has been working for 10+ years, not his age.
Mayavi - I think future "Lord Vader" already knows that & made that comment as a joke!
Old 4th October 2007, 13:37   #55
BHPian

we pay our driver 5k + some amount if he also works on his holiday.

i think this is pretty reasonable.
Old 4th October 2007, 17:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mayavi - I think future "Lord Vader" already knows that & made that comment as a joke!
Thanks!! Now I'll seem intelligent.

Quote:
I guesss the driver's pay includes cleaning and maintaining the car in a decent condition. Am I right?
Yes you are. In my case I have sometimes given the job to a guy because he cleans the car better than he drives.
Old 4th October 2007, 17:37   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think future "Lord Vader"
That ought to be my dad- Anakin, nope I still haven't gone over to the dark side.
Old 4th October 2007, 22:48   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
May be i need to upgrade my humour software. I am still using the standard issue.
Old 8th October 2007, 21:21   #59
BHPian

Hiring a Driver in South Delhi

Hi Friends

I am planning to hire a driver. I own a M800 and plan to buy( may my wish come true ) the 2.2L Safari in near future. I am putting up in South Delhi.

Yesterday one driver had turned up through some contact.
Here is what he demanded

1) Duty of 10 hours per day
2) Rs 5200/- per month salary
3) Rs 20 overtime @ per hour
4) 5 days a week from Monday --> Friday

I took a driving session with him and the driving looked good. He happened to be the previous driver for one of the homes in my locality only ; and the feedback I got from there was good( The other guy got an office car with driver and hence had to do away with this driver)

This guy had a valid driving license registered in Delhi. I have plans for getting the police verification done as well.

I had one confusion. Is the remuneration that he is expecting reasonable and inline with what is in general the market rate in Delhi for a driver .

Also can anyone give pointers to from where I can get any good driver other then some contacts OR what else should I look for in a driver from hiring pint of view

Thanks in advance
-svaid

Note from the support staff: Please search before opening new threads. Thanks.

Last edited by DCEite : 8th October 2007 at 21:26.
Old 9th October 2007, 08:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
The comfort of driving an auto is much more and inching thru / waiting in traffic is not so stressful.
You must be having a lot of time then.

I am too pooped out by the end of the day and driving just takes away from my sleep time. Not that I have a driver; I would find it very tough to give my car to one; but sometimes it becomes easier to utilize your time more efficiently if some one else is driving. So on days I know I am going to be tired, I take a cab. Hooray for Mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks