Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 10:26   #16
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
The discharge summary lists the Apgar score as 7&8 but they have mentioned that it had developed subcoastal retractions .. I am sorry but do not understand the meaning of it.

They poked my baby 10 times before changing the vein pump. I was not at all happy with many things like that and there were lot of fathers who shared similar feelings.
Discharge summary does not mention many things in manipal ( from personal expriance three times)

Most of the times regular treatment in wards is done by trainee doctors (either house surgency/PG students) Doctors will come only if it is serious.

Pg student tried for more than 10 min repeatedly poking my son for collecting blood samples. Boy bwas screaming please it is paining. but they kept on doing it. then i intervened askedn them at least apply lignocaine ointment before poking to reduce pain.

Imagine a Star hospital takes more than 15 min to find vein in patient in emergency ward, what kind of treatment they can offer
Old 25th June 2010, 10:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Discharge summary does not mention many things in manipal ( from personal expriance three times)

Most of the times regular treatment in wards is done by trainee doctors (either house surgency/PG students) Doctors will come only if it is serious.

Pg student tried for more than 10 min repeatedly poking my son for collecting blood samples. Boy bwas screaming please it is paining. but they kept on doing it. then i intervened askedn them at least apply lignocaine ointment before poking to reduce pain.

Imagine a Star hospital takes more than 15 min to find vein in patient in emergency ward, what kind of treatment they can offer
On a lighter note, thats the reason they call it a 'practice'. I have seen my son crying through similar incidents and its just gut wrenching.
It can be difficult to find the veins sometimes. Usually experience plays a big role.

Congrats sam_boy. Wish you the happiest times of your life.

Last edited by srishiva : 25th June 2010 at 10:39.
Old 25th June 2010, 10:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post

Pg student tried for more than 10 min repeatedly poking my son for collecting blood samples.
Well.. I forgot to mention one more thing .. In the ward the nursing students wanted to perform practical exams on my baby ... The examinor came and asked them questions right infront of us.. They wanted to perform various activities like bathing the baby, feeding her with the tube and changing the vein pump and all which I seriously objected.

I am sorry but I can not give my baby to these students with inexperienced hands .. It might sound odd but its my baby and my wish matters the most.
Old 25th June 2010, 11:17   #19
BANNED

Quote:
I am sorry but I can not give my baby to these students with inexperienced hands .. It might sound odd but its my baby and my wish matters the most.
I quite understand your sentiments. Must have been a DNB examination going on.

I guess you will be happy to be treated by a doctor with Zero practical experience, just computer simulation experience? How about flying in a plane if the Captain announced that he has 10000 hours in the simulator and it is his first flight.

Think about it!!
Old 25th June 2010, 12:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well.. I forgot to mention one more thing .. In the ward the nursing students wanted to perform practical exams on my baby ... The examinor came and asked them questions right infront of us.. They wanted to perform various activities like bathing the baby, feeding her with the tube and changing the vein pump and all which I seriously objected.

sam_boy - While I can understand your frustration at the whole ordeal, I think you have to cut some slack for the hospital and it's staff. There is no point in saying things like some other babies went home after 2 days in NICU, while my baby had to stay for 19 days. If you look at everything through the commercial angle, then Manipal probably was not the right hospital, in the first place.

I understand that today medical treatment revolves more around commercials, but it does not pay to doubt your doctor, unless you find something seriously amiss. My son was delivered at Manipal(normal delivery, though) and I was impressed by the facilities and care received at Manipal.

And, you have to understand that nurses and doctors have to train- and on humans. They cannot do stuff on cats and dogs and then start treating people, one fine day. Hope you agree?
Old 25th June 2010, 12:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
How about flying in a plane if the Captain announced that he has 10000 hours in the simulator and it is his first flight.

Think about it!!
Please do not get me wrong here ... I have no objections if the students are accompanied by few of the senior folks who can take care of the baby .. But only the students doing different things to pass the exams infront of an examinor (who herself was not a nurse), that irked me. Moreover, my baby just came out of NICU after 16 days ... That was her first experince outside NICU. She needed a bit more care. Thats all I had to say.

A student can learn when she works together with the experienced people and I feel that is the best way to learn. I learnt my job also in a similar atmosphere. When we give our car for servicing we are so choosy about the mecahnic and his experience .. so what is wrong if I want some experienced hands to cater the needs of my baby. The learning has to be systematic and progressive.

In the flight there is something called as a co-pilot too I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
There is no point in saying things like some other babies went home after 2 days in NICU, while my baby had to stay for 19 days.
. My son was delivered at Manipal(normal delivery, though) and I was impressed by the facilities and care received at Manipal.

And, you have to understand that nurses and doctors have to train- and on humans. They cannot do stuff on cats and dogs and then start treating people, one fine day. Hope you agree?
I never said the facilities are bad. Infact I have mentioned it in the pros list and I never complained that why my baby was not sent in 2 days. I understand there was a problem but it was a test of my patience all the way.

I never said do stuff on cats and dogs then directly come to treat humans. You can always learn with the experienced people. So you need to work as a helping hand first before switching to an active role. Just after learning swimming in a pool its not advisable to jump in the middle of the Indian ocean .. Ain't it ??
Old 25th June 2010, 13:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sam, congrats on your princess! Good to know that she is doing fine and you will also get over the anxious experience

Agree with you totally on the above post. You have gone thru the agony of waiting for 19 days for your angel to come out of NICU to actually be able to see her to your heart's content. At that point, the care and concern you would have towards your baby is immense. And totally agree to your point of having experienced people being present along with the trainees rather than trainees experimenting all by themselves!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks