Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 19:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Where to get knee surgery done in NCR?

Guys, My mom's knee needs to be operated upon to remove a broken piece of bone that occured as a result of a fall more than ten years ago. According to consultaions with docs, its not a major procedure and requires minor surgery where my mom can be operated upon and discharged the same day.

So anyone here had any experience with such sort of process? Any recommended or non-recommended hospitals? I was looking to get it done at Apollo, Mathura road or Kailash, Noida. Any positive/negative reviews about these two hospitals?
Old 6th July 2010, 09:13   #2
BHPian

The question is not 'Which is the hospital to go to?', but 'who is the best surgeon to go to?'.

Dr. Sumeet Rastogi is a recommended surgeon. So is Dr. Marya, but he is generally booked for two months in advance. Dr. Rastogi is a part of Dr. Marya's team.

It is Dr. Rastogi that I have an experience with, as he'd operated upon my friend's badly fractured and mauled knee. Other doctors at Fortis VK & St. Stephen's have opined that even an operation in London could not have had a better result.
I too have consulted him for pain in lower back, and the relief is considerable.

Dr. Rastogi and Marya are orthopaedic surgeons at Max Hospital, Saket. For appointments: 01126515050

Please also beware that doctors, especially surgeons, are advising unnecessary procedures these days. Angiographies/plasties, appendices, even chemotherapies are being prescribed indiscriminately. Take 5, or a dozen doctor's opinions if u have to, but be absolutely CERTAIN that she needs surgery before you go in for one.
Even if she is discharged in a day doesn't mean she will resume her daily activities the next and neither does it preclude the possibility of 'complications' which could arise genuinely, or may be manufactured by the hospital docs to keep her in the ICU.

I donot know what her condition is, and neither would I have been able to foretell the corrective procedure, but 99% surgical cases can be treated by medicine, which is a faar more advanced science than surgery (my personal opinion/belief). This holds true for indian (ayurved) as well as western (homoeopathy, allopathy) systems of medicine.
Old 6th July 2010, 09:28   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post

Please also beware that doctors, especially surgeons, are advising unnecessary procedures these days. Angiographies/plasties, appendices, even chemotherapies are being prescribed indiscriminately. Take 5, or a dozen doctor's opinions if u have to, but be absolutely CERTAIN that she needs surgery before you go in for one.
Even if she is discharged in a day doesn't mean she will resume her daily activities the next and neither does it preclude the possibility of 'complications' which could arise genuinely, or may be manufactured by the hospital docs to keep her in the ICU.

I donot know what her condition is, and neither would I have been able to foretell the corrective procedure, but 99% surgical cases can be treated by medicine, which is a faar more advanced science than surgery (my personal opinion/belief). This holds true for indian (ayurved) as well as western (homoeopathy, allopathy) systems of medicine.
Wow, you have a pretty low opinion of doctors?
Old 6th July 2010, 11:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

A family friend recently got his Mom operated in Parmanand Hospital for Knee Replacement. It is located somewhere near ISBT Mori Gate I think. It has a good reputation BUT there is a waiting period.

Also the Indian Spinal Injuries in Vasant Kunj does this kind of operations I think.
Old 6th July 2010, 12:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Guys, My mom's knee needs to be operated upon to remove a broken piece of bone that occured as a result of a fall more than ten years ago. According to consultaions with docs, its not a major procedure and requires minor surgery where my mom can be operated upon and discharged the same day.

So anyone here had any experience with such sort of process? Any recommended or non-recommended hospitals? I was looking to get it done at Apollo, Mathura road or Kailash, Noida. Any positive/negative reviews about these two hospitals?
Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is not a knee replacement surgery, this will be a minor procedure so you don't really need to go for the best surgeons available :-) Merely very good will do.

Now regarding the hospital, Apollo isn't what it used to be. It has become very expensive and patient care is not up to the mark. Kailash is even worse, patient care is very bad and it is really chaotic. However there is one really good surgeon Dr. G S Shukla there. I believe he heads their ortho department. You can consult him.

And for the actual procedure, I would suggest Shantigopal hospital in Indirapuram. Dr. Shuka is available there as well, and patient care there is top notch. I was operated there last year by Dr. Shukla to remove an implant and was very satisfied. This was my third interaction with Shantigopal - other two are birth of my daughter and cataract operation of my mom. And I had never had any problem with them. I would highly recommend them.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 6th July 2010, 14:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, this is the type of response i was looking for. Actual experiences.

@nitin: you are right. its not knee replacement but a minor surgery to remove a dislodged piece of bone. Thanks for your feedback on both the hospitals. Will decide on the course of action accordingly. Can you PM me your number for further enquiries about Shantigopal hospital and dr. Shukla.

PS: It was interesting to run into you on the road that morning. Couldn't stop to chat as i was on the way to the airport.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Before choosing the doctor see his experience and the second thing think are you going to a good organisation.If you choose a Doctor Trust him.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:27   #8
BHPian

I personally had experience with Indian Spinal Injuries Centre, Vasant Kunj and found the doctors and care absolutely top notch and prices are also less compared to other private hospitals.
Old 6th July 2010, 23:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
And even lower opinion of the surgeons.
Old 9th July 2010, 23:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
And even lower opinion of the surgeons.
Heh. Heh.
No. Just the greedy doctors.

I distrust surgeons in pvt hospitals, unless I know they have some form of 'integrity' in them. Guilty unless proven otherwise...

My dad is a doctor, of medicine (as you may have guessed), and its easy for me to be cynical after hearing the shenanigans these doctors play... If ever there was blood money, some of these guys make it. ('some', not 'many', not 'most'.)

And then I nearly lost close friends because of these 'Doctors', and my cynicism became a faith...

Not that I can blindly rely on medicine. Medicine goes wrong -- you get further into trouble. Surgery goes wrong -- you die. You die -- no team-bhp. No team-bhp -- no fun. Surgery bad. Teambhp good.

I can write that coz its my birthday!

Cheers to LIFE AND INTACT LIMBS!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks