Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 16:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rear Admiral killed in 'accidental fire'

Absurdity in our country has hit yet another peak. In a tragic development, Chief of Staff, Southern Naval Command Rear Admiral Satyendra Singh Jamwal died in a freak incident at a training centre in Kochi on Wednesday.

Jamwal, 51, who was the second in command of the Navy's Southern Command, was at the training establishment INS Dronacharya's small arms firing range when the accidental firing occurred around 10.30am, a Navy spokesperson said in New Delhi.

Rear Admiral S S Jamwal killed in 'accidental fire' - India - The Times of India

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 7th July 2010 at 16:07.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

navy has said nothing about the incident, how do you know it's absurd?
Old 7th July 2010, 18:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Don't know man, such things always has creepiness attatched to it. My condolances to the family. Usually, the forces will conduct their investigations and filter out what needs to be declared to the media.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:37   #4
BHPian

This is quite unfortunate and shocking.

NDTV reports that the incident happened when he was checking a Pistol which was not firing. See the link here - Rear Admiral shot himself accidentally, says Navy, rejects suicide theory

My house in Cochin is just a few hundred meters from INS Dronacharya. And I have been to that firing range when I was a kid.
Old 7th July 2010, 19:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

it's really unfortunate, the first rule of gun handling is to always point it to to a safe direction, even past a wall etc. Usually down to the ground. But we do get carried away when things don't work and may try to look into the gun closely.

I know a gun maker who shot dead his own son accidentally. Really dangerous.
Old 7th July 2010, 20:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
navy has said nothing about the incident, how do you know it's absurd?
If the president of the US got shot inside the WH accidently, is it normal or absurd?
Old 7th July 2010, 20:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
If the president of the US got shot inside the WH accidently, is it normal or absurd?
The president of US is not expected to carry/clean/inspect hand guns ! That's why in that case it would be HIGHLY suspicious.

This story, although freakish in nature, is still believable.
Old 7th July 2010, 22:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

Well on the points of being shot for an absurd reason, Jodie Fosters Lover would have a lot to say.
He shot Ronald Reagen to impress her. Jodie Foster had nothing to do with this act of his except being so cute. And that is not a crime.
Old 8th July 2010, 01:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't know man, such things always has creepiness attatched to it
+1
My condolences to his family & may his soul rest in peace.
Old 8th July 2010, 20:20   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Very tragic news. His younger brother had an unfortunate accident himself many years ago. A little after his marriage, he dived into a swimming pool, only to realise that all the water had been drained out. The resultant injuries left him in paralysis for life.
Old 8th July 2010, 20:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Very tragic news. His younger brother had an unfortunate accident himself many years ago. A little after his marriage, he dived into a swimming pool, only to realise that all the water had been drained out. The resultant injuries left him in paralysis for life.
while I do feel sorry for him, this indeed is absurd. I have heard of people dying of hitting stones in rivers when diving, but diving accident in swimming pool?
Old 8th July 2010, 21:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Condolences to the family. IMO its a freak accident where the Admiral was checking a pistol loaded or a pistol with misfired round. In any case, he was not following the correct method what he was doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
while I do feel sorry for him, this indeed is absurd. I have heard of people dying of hitting stones in rivers when diving, but diving accident in swimming pool?
Yes, it is possible. There are numerous cases. Have u ever dived from 7/10m board and "accidentally" your legs opened a bit? sometimes the depth is not adequate and diver can land on head and hit the floor. I have even heard of people dying because after diving both shoulders dislocated (very freak case), the guy just could not come up! Of course again there are lapses, like why he was allowed inside the swimming pool when there was no water?

Last edited by TaureanBull : 8th July 2010 at 21:38.
Old 9th July 2010, 11:41   #13
BHPian

Wondering why this thread even exists! Came hear to read some yummy conspiracy theory only to see condolence messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
.... A little after his marriage, he dived into a swimming pool, only to realise that all the water had been drained out. ...

Was he blind? This is straight out of a stupid TV commercial doing the airs nowadays.

Guys no offences.

Last edited by WindRide : 9th July 2010 at 11:42.
Old 9th July 2010, 16:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

^^ Many can do that only to be pointed out to be suspicious cynical and sadist.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks