Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 01:06   #31
BHPian

We had a 1-BHK in a good locality in Thane which is rented at about 11k a month. But a bit on the highway side, you would easily get a 2bhk for 10k and a 3bhk for 13k.

Now about commuting to Powai, it depends on your office timings and whether you have a bike or a car. If it's the former, then you can easily do Powai-Thane in 45-60 mins in peak traffic. Early in the morning, you won't even take 30 mins since majority of the commuting consists of a highway. Powai doesn't have a railway station, so the only option of public transport is the bus. I think Thane-Powai has better bus connectivity than Airoli-Powai, so you might want to check that out.

Last edited by prateekm : 9th July 2010 at 01:22.
Old 9th July 2010, 02:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Now, I somehow feel that Airoli is one among the many locations that suits me. Do you think it is possible to get a house (2BHK) on rent in the area for around 10k?

Please do not hesitate to correct my selection if it is wrong and suggest other areas. I m ok with any other area as well as long as it suits me.
Yes, the rent is correct for that area but Airoli is not recommended unless you can not find anything elsewhere. Airoli is a dry sort of place and faces the worst power cuts in all of Navi Mumbai. Further just going to the market and back is a death race as a main highway/road cuts right through the heart of the area and it is a very sorry sight to see people play Russian roulette with traffic.

Quote:
Coming to posh localities, I m very much a middle class person who is aristocratic only when it comes to cars. For the rest, I prefer things which are unbranded, areas where I can get fresh veggies from a normal street vendor, go to a small old time movie theatre and get my chappals stitched from a footpath cobbler. I am not comfortable living in "US Style" localities where there are only malls and supermarkets to shop, only Cafe Coffee Days to eat and things like that.In fact I can very gladly live without them.

Having said the above, I presume, a normal middle class locality is sufficient for me. Please guide me in the right direction.

PS: I will not ride or drive to office so the INR 30.00 toll tax will not make a difference to me, at least regularly.
Further referring to your comments above, I would recommend 'Tulsidham - Hyde park area' in Thane. This is off Ghodbunder road, behind 'Wonder mall'. The rent in the general area is in your budget and the description above drew a picture of that area in front of my eyes. You will find a lot of young professionals ( mostly young couples ) in this area from around the country so the social scene too will be to your liking.
Old 9th July 2010, 03:09   #33
BHPian

WELCOME TO MUMBAI

To be more specific on your Accommodation problem I would like to suggest following

Keeping in mind your budget and travel routine

Bramhand [Ghodbunder Road, Thane (W)]

Not to far not to close from actual city with all the necessary requirements such as Malls, restros, Hospital, public transport (Starting point for AC and Non AC buses directly to Powai)

Rent for 2BHK - 7K to 10K many choices
__________________________________________________ _

Kolshet Road / Yashaswi Nagar

Starting point of Ghhodbunder road so quite near to station and highway but located near 3 major Malls in thane, multiple restros, Hospitals etc..

However you cannot get direct buses to Powai from here though other options are available

Rent for 2BHK - 8.5K to 12K again many choices

The list can go on the best way is to visit and see it for yourself

Feel free to PM me if you need any assistance when you visit here will be more than happy to help you
Old 9th July 2010, 11:12   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
If you are not going to be driving daily, be practical. Pay around 15K for a 1BHK in Powai or Chandivali (Hiranandani would be out of your budget) and you'll get some time for yourself and (in future) for your wife. A 2BHK is overkill. I repeat -- there's NOTHING to beat the luxury of living 20 minutes from your office. Stay in far-flung Thane and you'll spend half your life commuting. I live in Andheri West and work near VT and a one-way commute (by bus and train) takes close to two hours. Can't help it because I can't afford to stay townside. Powai is still affordable. Go for it.
Well that would have been my first option but the issue is,my aristocracy with vehicles and my urge to travel(long distances for touring) puts my afford-ability at stake. Also, as you are aware, I need to save some money and set up my house before the end of this year when I plan to get married. Hence Vit-M is in short supply Sir. Though if my present gf and future wife gets a job in Mumbai, then it will solve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i travel via airoli- powai -sakinaka route. my office is in logitech park sakinaka. belive me powai is jammed in office hours mainly between 9-12 and evening from 6 onwards its a hell. it takes atleast 1 hour to clear the traffic itself.

i suggest you to check out chandivali area. u will get a 2bhk in ~14k. hiranandani will be costly.

you will ruin your valuable time if you stay far away from office. after office you will never feel like crawling through the mumbai traffic.
Well, that is my plan as well. To try out Mumbai for an year or so, and if things don't work, I too will ask for a transfer but someone told me that "Mumbai has a big heart", so want to try it out once. Again 14k would mean another 3k for gas, electricity and telephone/internet. Not in budget, at least for now. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
We had a 1-BHK in a good locality in Thane which is rented at about 11k a month. But a bit on the highway side, you would easily get a 2bhk for 10k and a 3bhk for 13k.

Now about commuting to Powai, it depends on your office timings and whether you have a bike or a car. If it's the former, then you can easily do Powai-Thane in 45-60 mins in peak traffic. Early in the morning, you won't even take 30 mins since majority of the commuting consists of a highway. Powai doesn't have a railway station, so the only option of public transport is the bus. I think Thane-Powai has better bus connectivity than Airoli-Powai, so you might want to check that out.
My office timings would be the usual 9-6. I have a bike and a car but like I said, I will either take office transport or public transport for sure. Not ride or drive. I guess, Thane is certainly on the list now and Airoli seems to be moving out. Any contacts that you have in the area please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Yes, the rent is correct for that area but Airoli is not recommended unless you can not find anything elsewhere. Airoli is a dry sort of place and faces the worst power cuts in all of Navi Mumbai. Further just going to the market and back is a death race as a main highway/road cuts right through the heart of the area and it is a very sorry sight to see people play Russian roulette with traffic.

Further referring to your comments above, I would recommend 'Tulsidham - Hyde park area' in Thane. This is off Ghodbunder road, behind 'Wonder mall'. The rent in the general area is in your budget and the description above drew a picture of that area in front of my eyes. You will find a lot of young professionals ( mostly young couples ) in this area from around the country so the social scene too will be to your liking.
Hmmm, certainly makes sense, so I add Tulsidham to my list along with Thane. Yes, it would be great if the social scene is cosmopolitan as well. What about bus terminuses? I guess it would be possible to get a seat if I get into the bus at a terminal right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj_s85 View Post
WELCOME TO MUMBAI

To be more specific on your Accommodation problem I would like to suggest following

Keeping in mind your budget and travel routine

Bramhand [Ghodbunder Road, Thane (W)]

Not to far not to close from actual city with all the necessary requirements such as Malls, restros, Hospital, public transport (Starting point for AC and Non AC buses directly to Powai)

Rent for 2BHK - 7K to 10K many choices

Kolshet Road / Yashaswi Nagar

Starting point of Ghhodbunder road so quite near to station and highway but located near 3 major Malls in thane, multiple restros, Hospitals etc..

However you cannot get direct buses to Powai from here though other options are available

Rent for 2BHK - 8.5K to 12K again many choices

The list can go on the best way is to visit and see it for yourself

Feel free to PM me if you need any assistance when you visit here will be more than happy to help you
Thank you very much Viraj. This Bramhand sounds like the exact place I have been looking for. I will certainly PM you to trouble you once the dates have been finalised. This is something which makes sense to me. Bus terminus, sort of in the city and sort of out of it. Affordable range of rent. All the basic amenities available.
Sounds purrffect.. Thanks a million Sir.

Query No2: I have an old airconditioner from a friend here which is hardly used in Bangalore Is it required these days as well at Mumbai? I was planning to adjust without it till next summer and then buy one if needed. What do you folks think?

Query No3: Is it advisable to get my Scorpio painted with that underbody paint before I get it there in case corrosion is severe or can I get it done at Mumbai?

Once again, please keep the helpful ideas pouring and thank you very much for all the inputs gentlemen, and ladies, if any
Old 9th July 2010, 12:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi dev, good to know that you are shifting to mumbai. welcome to mumbai!

i am more delighted to know that your office is in hiranandani, powai because thats where i stay. also pleased to know that you are bringing your scorpio here. do call me so that i can show you around! so hoping to meet you on a regular basis soon. :-)

regarding rents, powai has two areas (one is opp IIT) & the other is hiranandani, both adjacent to each other. hiranandani would be quite expensive & a 2BHK flat would cost you more than 40-50k.

but i suggest you should look at the area opp IIT. even there i am doubtful that you would get a place for 8-9k {i have a 1BHK flat there which i have rented for 13k}, so a 2bhk will cost you minimum 18k.

other options nearby are powai vihar & raheja vihar, but even this would cost above 15k minimum.

please look at places like vikhroli, bhandup or ghatkopar where if you are lucky, you may get some cheaper options.

please bear in mind that powai DOES NOT have a railway station. the closest station is kanjurmarg or vikhroli. so if you are staying somewhere else, you will have to catch a train till kanjurmarg & then board a bus to powai/hiranandani.

would be glad to be of any help.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 9th July 2010 at 12:23.
Old 9th July 2010, 12:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

JVLR ris pretty ok now - I leave Powai at 9 in the morning and reach office in Khairane, Navi Mumbai in about 25 minutes.

The return journey takes me 40-45 minutes via the same route - 1 hour if it's a rainy day or traffic is unusually thick.

JVLR is almost complete except for it's stretch in front of IIT and the bridge over the tracks. Commuting shouldnt be a problem now.
Old 9th July 2010, 13:00   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hi dev, good to know that you are shifting to mumbai. welcome to mumbai!
would be glad to be of any help.
Thank you Raj for your kind wishes and call. I will certainly need a lot of your help to know the place and go around. Hope to see your superbly maintained Scorp real soon.
Old 9th July 2010, 14:09   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
JVLR ris pretty ok now - I leave Powai at 9 in the morning and reach office in Khairane, Navi Mumbai in about 25 minutes.

The return journey takes me 40-45 minutes via the same route - 1 hour if it's a rainy day or traffic is unusually thick.

JVLR is almost complete except for it's stretch in front of IIT and the bridge over the tracks. Commuting shouldnt be a problem now.
The opposite direction is nasty even now. If you try to go from Vikhroli to Jogeshwari after 8:30-8:45 am, it's pretty bad. Likewise, if you are coming from Jogeshwari to Vikhroli after 6:45-7:00 pm.
Old 9th July 2010, 14:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Well, I drove my KA registered vehicle for two years in Mumbai. Drove the vehicle irrespective of day/time. No hassles, once got challaned for 100 bucks for jumping signal too, but KA number was never an issue.

Just check out the map and you can find Royal Palms in Aarey Milk Colony, which is decently priced and nearby to Powai. As everyone has said whether or not you drive, its the commutation which will kill you. If you need more information on this area, do PM me. Checkout their website too, http://www.royalpamlsindia.com
Old 9th July 2010, 14:54   #40
BHPian

n.devdath,
Here are 2 cents from my side. For a average maga like you from Bangalore its going to be a paradigm shift if you havent stayed in Mumbai before ( I am not talking about casual visits). The density of crowd, humidity in the air etc will make you nervous in initial days. Relatively to Bangalore its a huge city and is a fast paced city. It will take few days to get adjusted, but once you get settled, trust me you will like Mumbai and will be glad that you stayed in this city.

I would strongly suggest that you visit the nearby localities and then make up your mind on the renting a house. Also I would suggest that you take your car once you are settled in Mumbai. I assume you dont have any kids (school admission etc) otherwise that would be a additional constraint in selecting the locality.

Last edited by deepaktpatil : 9th July 2010 at 14:57.
Old 9th July 2010, 15:36   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Well, I drove my KA registered vehicle for two years in Mumbai. Drove the vehicle irrespective of day/time. No hassles, once got challaned for 100 bucks for jumping signal too, but KA number was never an issue.
Checkout their website too, Royal Palms India, Mumbai, property in mumbai, properties in mumbai, mumbai properties, mumbai sez, special economic zone mumbai, luxury real estate developers, real estate in mumbai
Thank you Amit. That was reassuring that I could drive a KA vehicle in Mumbai. I looked up their website but couldnt find rental rates. Also, going by their site and stuff, it seems pretty hi-fi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
n.devdath,
Here are 2 cents from my side. For a average maga like you from Bangalore its going to be a paradigm shift if you havent stayed in Mumbai before.It will take few days to get adjusted, but once you get settled, trust me you will like Mumbai and will be glad that you stayed in this city.
You are right Deepak. In fact, I have never visited Mumbai even for casual reasons all these years. I m indeed looking forward to a world of difference and yes, the challenges that come with it as well. Moreover, I m looking forward to cherishing my stay at Mumbai if and when I leave it.
Rightly, like you said, I do not have any school issues as of now so that is not an area of concern.
Boy, life can be so tough at times.

Last edited by n.devdath : 9th July 2010 at 15:53.
Old 9th July 2010, 16:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Amit. That was reassuring that I could drive a KA vehicle in Mumbai. I looked up their website but couldnt find rental rates. Also, going by their site and stuff, it seems pretty hi-fi.
Actually, try searching for apartments in Royal Palms in Magicbricks or other related websites. You will find some deals there. The website of Royal Palms is to impress others, however the best part is the easy accessibility to Western Suburbs including Powai.

I have my flat there but its rented out, many people donot consider this as an option, however if you consider locationwise, I would anyday prefer this over Thane or Airoli.

Do PM me if you need more information. One of my friend is staying in Chandivali, Nahar group of builders, 2BHK and the rental is 22k. However you find flats cheaper here and within 15 mins of driving distance to Powai.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 9th July 2010 at 16:57.
Old 9th July 2010, 17:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

If I were you, I would stay somewhere close to the office. Though I am not from Mumbai, I have been there multiple times. The latest being last month. Trust me, the humidity is a killer. I traveled from VT to Thane at 11:30 PM in an empty train and still was sweating like crazy. I can't imagine traveling to and from office like that daily.
Since you haven't been to mumbai before, I suggest you go there and travel to various locations during the actual timings when you'll have to travel and then decide. In any case you are in for a shock. You'll either love it or hate it. Best of luck.
Old 9th July 2010, 17:13   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
In any case you are in for a shock. You'll either love it or hate it. Best of luck.
Yeah - this is 100% true. You either love Bombay or hate it if you come here as an adult. I haven't met too many people who are in between.
Old 9th July 2010, 17:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

From budget point of view, you'll have to make do with areas like Thane, Airoli or maybe Mulund. Places like Kharghar are way too far to commute everyday comfortably.

Thane and Mulund are next to each other, but at Mulund you don't have to pay the toll. But Mulund is a more expensive area as far as I know.

You could look up Vinod Nookla who has recently relocated to here as well. He might have some fresh leads and lastly welcome to the maximum city.

Drifter

Most Viewed