Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2013, 19:46   #106
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
I wanted a PG type accomodation which provided food. Single room PGs were very expensive (around 15-20K for room alone) and one of the brokers suggested a service apartment. Well basically the arrangement was this. It is a normal 3 bedroom flat in a society rented out by the owner through a broker. 2 people in each room. Electricity charges in my " serviced apartment" was based on consumption per room. The owner had put 3 separate sub "AC meters" in each room and used to divide the total bill based on the different readings.
What was the rent person? I think you forgot to mention this.
Old 4th June 2013, 23:05   #107
BHPian

I was paying 10K for the room on a double sharing basis. But this was a spacious room with a TV and cable (for which nothing extra had to be paid). There was a fairly spacious drawing room with a dining area and there was a geyser as well in each attached bathroom. And before I forget for a reading buff like me TOI and ET came free with the package as well. Overall depending on my which bloke I ended up with as my room mate, I paid in total from 13 K to 15 K a month which was not a bad deal as the amount included 3 meals a day including a packed basic lunch I had company transportation to my office 2 Km away and with the airport being so close by, reaching even at odd hours was not a problem. and I never bothered with taking trains as the long distance bus stop for both MSRTC and the private operators was literally next door!!! And being adjacent to the WE express highway bus connectivity was very good, so never bothered to take the local trains as well. I paid for the location but as far as BOM goes it was a good deal. But the real learning experience was coping with the ever changing "room mates"

NB The advantage with a service apartment like where I stated was that the deposit is only 1 month. And in addition 1 month rent and 1 month brokerage. I think for a flat it is 10 months deposit if I remember correctly although this can be shared by 2-3 people.
Old 14th May 2014, 10:36   #108

Need Advice: Relocating from Gurgaon to Mumbai

I'm relocating from Gurgaon to Mumbai in the next couple of weeks, and will be working in Mumbai for atleast the next 2-3 years (maybe more). I have a 2-year old Swift Dzire VXI. I have already read through previous posts on Team-BHP which have been incredibly helpful in detailing the process of transferring a car from one state to another. But, almost every post also points out how frustrating and time consuming this process is.

For those who have moved their vehicles to Mumbai, I would be grateful if you could share your experiences on the following:

1) In general, how strict are Mumbai traffic cops on enforcing the rules when it comes to vehicles registered outside the state? In Delhi NCR I have seen plenty of cars from other states, and is generally not an issue.

2) How easy or difficult is it to deal with the Mumbai RTO? I have heard some states are horrible, while others are fairly efficient.

3) Is re-registration a must or can I just pay the road tax and will that be sufficient? I guess in the long-term it makes sense to re-register the car, so if I go on to sell the car, it would get me a better return.

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th May 2014, 12:36   #109
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need Advice: Relocating from Gurgaon to Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerbud View Post
For those who have moved their vehicles to Mumbai, I would be grateful if you could share your experiences on the following:

1) In general, how strict are Mumbai traffic cops on enforcing the rules when it comes to vehicles registered outside the state? In Delhi NCR I have seen plenty of cars from other states, and is generally not an issue.

2) How easy or difficult is it to deal with the Mumbai RTO? I have heard some states are horrible, while others are fairly efficient.

3) Is re-registration a must or can I just pay the road tax and will that be sufficient? I guess in the long-term it makes sense to re-register the car, so if I go on to sell the car, it would get me a better return.
1) Yes - there are checks and i have seen many out of state vehicles being both fined/bribe by the cops.

2) Dealing with RTO Is just as bad as in other states. However, there would be agents to help you with running around.

3) NO - I faced the same dilemma when i relocated from Chennai to Mumbai. they do no accept just road tax and registration. we need to change the number , get NOC and go through that painful process.

What car do you have - If you have high end cars, it is not an issue in general.

If you are temporarily relocating here (around 3 years) buy a car here (3 lacs will get you a sparingly used Corolla. If you are planning less than 3 years, Autos and Taxis are more than sufficient in mumbai to get around town. Mind it, Mumbai is as bad as any town when it comes to parking in prime areas.
Old 14th May 2014, 14:11   #110
BANNED

Automobile Association offers re-registration service (for members, but it is worth joining AA just to avoid the bureaucratic stuff). Try talking to them. I haven't re-registered my car but I did get my licence address changed, and they took care of all the pre-paperwork (NOC from previous RTO, etc), I only needed to show up to actually get photographed for and collect the new licence, which took about half an hour. This was in Chennai which is anyway less bureaucratic than the north, I guess...

(Back in 1992 AA was actually authorised to conduct driving tests, and did mine. And in the 80s they could even issue licences. These days the only document they issue is an IDP, otherwise it's mostly agent-type services...)
Old 14th May 2014, 16:19   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
Automobile Association offers re-registration service (for members, but it is worth joining AA just to avoid the bureaucratic stuff).
True, that AAI makes the job eazy; would suggest taking life membership. The price for that is steadily rising. I had a chance when it was just Rs 2500/-, but I didn't; because a friendly driving school guy guided me back then. Now I see the price has shot past Rs 20,000/-

AAI Membership details
Old 14th May 2014, 16:23   #112
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
True, that AAI makes the job eazy; would suggest taking life membership. The price for that is steadily rising. I had a chance when it was just Rs 2500/-, but I didn't; because a friendly driving school guy guided me back then. Now I see the price has shot past Rs 20,000/-
Rs 10,000! Still steep, but not that bad. 20,000 is for firms. [edit -- and there is a Rs 6000 life option too, if you want it for only one car and only for yourself.]

I became a member in 2004, I can't remember what I paid, and I had never used the services and had long lost my card. But they still had my information and gave me a new card.

Last edited by rsidd : 14th May 2014 at 16:25.
Old 14th May 2014, 18:47   #113
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerbud View Post
I'm relocating from Gurgaon to Mumbai in the next couple of weeks, and will be working in Mumbai for atleast the next 2-3 years (maybe more). I have a 2-year old Swift Dzire VXI. I have already read through previous posts on Team-BHP which have been incredibly helpful in detailing the process of transferring a car from one state to another. But, almost every post also points out how frustrating and time consuming this process is.

Thanks in advance.
1. I was driving a DL car in Mumbai for over 2 years. In that time period, got stopped once due to the number plate. Had submitted the papers for registration when I was stopped, so did not face any issue.

2. Believe it or not, it took me 1.5 years to get the re-registration done. Partly due to an incompetent agent and partly due to lack of time on my hands to follow up. Yes, the bureaucracy and red-tapism is rampant. Also faced issues because the Mumbai and Delhi RTO's refused to communicate, leaving me high and dry.

3. Not sure, but makes sense to get it re-registered if you plan on selling it here.
Old 14th May 2014, 20:35   #114
BHPian

When I moved from Delhi/Gurgaon to Mumbai in 2010, I got stopped thrice in as many months for sporting a DL licence plate. Ultimately I transferred the car to MH registration but had to pay a tax of Rs. 1.10 lac as the tax structure in MH is higher than DL. This was for a 4 year old Skoda Octy vRS. In hindsight, I would have been better off if I had sold the car in Delhi and bought another one in MH. Would recommend the same to you. Please note that for calculating the assessable value of a used car the MH RTO uses a very "conservative" depreciation rate of 2.5% per year. Unfortunately, I did not know this rule when I took the decision of transporting the car to MH.
Old 28th May 2014, 12:17   #115

Thank you so much for all the advice. A quick follow up question: I've secured a NOC from Gurgaon RTO. As per the law, how long can I drive my car in Mumbai with just a NOC in hand (and not having paid any octroi, road tax etc). I have read in some posts it is 6 months, while others have said 1 year.
Old 28th February 2016, 11:03   #116
BHPian

I am relocating to Mumbai from Ahmedabad. My office is in kalina, santacruz east. After a month of searching for school, I am getting admission for my son in Poddar international seawoods and in Vibgyor airoli. Distance wise I think seawoods is about 4 kms more than airoli from office. Now things get complicated as my office is moving to worli in few months time. I am staying in PG in Kharghar and so I have some idea of traffic via vashi. Currently i am planning for 1-2 years in Mumbai. So I have two questions: 1) is staying in Airoli a better option from commuting perspective? 2) any idea if Vibgyor is similar or better than poddar school?. Any other feedback would be useful.
Old 10th March 2022, 08:51   #117
Senior - BHPian

Folks, need some guidance here.
I am relocating from Pune to Mumbai in March - would be moving with my wife and small kid (18 months).

The office would be at Bandra Kurla Complex, but there is no real compulsion to come to office - perhaps once in a while to catch up with colleagues, town-hall, gossip, etc. - I can combine with customer visit so that company pays for such trips.

Now I have been searching online and also visited a few locations/properties (currently staying at service apartment provided by company till March end).

Basic requirements, as spelled out by the decision maker
1) gated community with some play area/garden for kids (instead of them running around the parking lot or the main road outside the colony)
2) not adjacent to slums (almost all colonies we have visited seem to have entrance and boundary sprinkled with slums)
3) 2-BHK with some decent carpet area. Not looking for 1200 sqft kind of carpet area we have at Pune, but do not really prefer the 600 sqft that seems prevalent in Mumbai. Perhaps 800-900?
4) not prone to regular flooding during monsoons
5) monthly rent: up to 50K. Some what flexible

Is the above possible? Or appears to be technically infeasible within Mumbai?
Any localities that can meet the requirement?

What I understand is that most of the above requirements may be met by localities that are far away from the center/SoBo. That means Ghatkopar/Powai onwards on central line and Andheri onwards on western line. Or Navi Mumbai. So how do I make decision - say between Kandivili vs Kanjurmarg? Or Powai? Or Navi Mumbai? Or Thane? Or ... etc.

Last edited by alpha1 : 10th March 2022 at 08:56.
Old 10th March 2022, 11:02   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

1) gated community with some play area/garden for kids (instead of them running around the parking lot or the main road outside the colony)
2) not adjacent to slums (almost all colonies we have visited seem to have entrance and boundary sprinkled with slums)
3) 2-BHK with some decent carpet area. Not looking for 1200 sqft kind of carpet area we have at Pune, but do not really prefer the 600 sqft that seems prevalent in Mumbai. Perhaps 800-900?

My compact 2 BHK in a nice, '70s constructed CHS in Goregaon is renting out for around 32K. So you can check out some of the newer complexes like Mahindra Garden, Vasant Galaxy or the Rustomji properties in Goregaon (West) which may be in your budget. If you go East, the rents will get kinda crazy (Thakur, Oberoi etc.) because those are more upmarket and have direct access to the highway.

It's unlikely you will get anything in your budget in Chembur, Ghatkopar, Powai, Bandra or even up to Andheri, but you can try Kalpataru or some of the other complexes on JVLR : that is accessible enough without being Also sorry if some of my info is dated: I haven't lived in Mumbai for ages!

Last edited by noopster : 10th March 2022 at 11:04.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 11:54   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My compact 2 BHK in a nice, '70s constructed CHS in Goregaon is renting out for around 32K. So you can check out some of the newer complexes like Mahindra Garden, Vasant Galaxy or the Rustomji properties in Goregaon (West) which may be in your budget. If you go East, the rents will get kinda crazy (Thakur, Oberoi etc.) because those are more upmarket and have direct access to the highway.

It's unlikely you will get anything in your budget in Chembur, Ghatkopar, Powai, Bandra or even up to Andheri, but you can try Kalpataru or some of the other complexes on JVLR : that is accessible enough without being Also sorry if some of my info is dated: I haven't lived in Mumbai for ages!
Thanks for the data points / info.

However I now realize that what I am really looking as help from Mumbaikars is more on the lines of ... How to decide which locality to choose.

I realize that each area has its own DNA, lifestyle culture, essentials like stores/school/hospitals.
Old 10th March 2022, 13:09   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Folks, need some guidance here.
I am relocating from Pune to Mumbai in March - would be moving with my wife and small kid (18 months).

The office would be at Bandra Kurla Complex, but there is no real compulsion to come to office - perhaps once in a while to catch up with colleagues, town-hall, gossip, etc. - I can combine with customer visit so that company pays for such trips.

Now I have been searching online and also visited a few locations/properties (currently staying at service apartment provided by company till March end).

What I understand is that most of the above requirements may be met by localities that are far away from the center/SoBo. That means Ghatkopar/Powai onwards on central line and Andheri onwards on western line. Or Navi Mumbai. So how do I make decision - say between Kandivili vs Kanjurmarg? Or Powai? Or Navi Mumbai? Or Thane? Or ... etc.
Easily possible, but key question for you to ponder on - how much travel are you ready to do on a daily basis (assuming office work goes back to status-quo of daily basis).

I went house hunting about exactly 2 years ago but don't think rates would have changed drastically (~+/- 5%), with similar requirements except we didn't search for gated community aspect for kids, but just for general security so a single apartment block was fine for us.

- Decently sized apts with ~1000sqft super built up area, well-lit and preferably with large french windows and/or balcony

Areas we saw houses that might suit your requirement in Ghatkopar East (Pant Nagar areas), Ghatkopar West (adjacent plots next to LBS Marg), Powai/Chandivali (Raheja Vihar complex, Nahar based complexes), west side of Vidya Vihar. Most apartments we saw were in the range of 40-50k. We finally took a house in Ghatkopar West, right close to the metro station. PM me if you need more info if the above areas work for you.

Didn't explore west of BKC (towards Bandra, Andheri, Vikhroli, etc.) so no idea on that note. We didn't like the options closer to BKC back side (Kurla, etc.) or the noisy Saki Naka/Marol areas so didn't focus too much there.

Edit: I guess you meant 800-900 sqft built up area, which to my experience wasn't that common. For reference, my apt was about 660sqft built-up area.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 10th March 2022 at 13:18.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks