Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 10:35   #1
BANNED

Relocating to Mumbai!

Hi All,
I will be relocating to Mumbai by the end of this month(July) and am totally unaware of the place, its nuances, weather, everything. All I know is the approximate location of my office at Mumbai which is either close to or at Hiranandani, Powai.

I have the following questions initially:

1. Is it ok in Mumbai to drive a KA registered vehicle?
2. Which areas would be appropriate to get accommodation close to the place? My range for a 2BHK is around the Bangalore rates(8-9kper month with car parking).
3. Is it easy to travel to this area and from which part of Mumbai?
4. I d prefer to take up accommodation at the outskirts of the city if there are no issues rather than end up staying at a packed and congested place so any tips on that would be useful.
5. What is the advance that is usually asked for by the landlords? Is it negotiable?
6. Which are the areas that I should stay away from? I m currently a bachelor but will most probably get married this year, hence I prefer to take up a 2BHK rather than a 1 BHK and upgrade later. Am I thinking on the right lines?
7. I m used to travelling for an hour using public transport while coming to and going back from office at Bangalore, so I can manage the same. I prefer office cab/public transport to riding or driving in the city daily so would prefer an area which has a bus depot/train terminus etc if possible.

Well this is it for now, but many more questions coming up later...
Old 8th July 2010, 11:43   #2
BHPian

Hiranandani is quite expensive for living. Better find a place near by.
For KA registered vehicle better to get a NOC from KA RTO, before you bring the vehicle to Mumbai.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:58   #3
BHPian

n.devdath,
Welcome to Mumbai.
Accommodation near powai @ 8-9K PM is difficult to get. The present rates are around 20K at chandivali or Marol. If you donot mind driving 1 Hr (not by public transport) Thane Ghodbunder Road should be an good option.

KA registered vehicles will not have much problem as your license & docs will show KA addresses. You can always say you have just come to Mumbai.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
n.devdath,
Welcome to Mumbai.
Accommodation near powai @ 8-9K PM is difficult to get. The present rates are around 20K at chandivali or Marol. If you donot mind driving 1 Hr (not by public transport) Thane Ghodbunder Road should be an good option.

KA registered vehicles will not have much problem as your license & docs will show KA addresses. You can always say you have just come to Mumbai.
I had a MP registered vehicle which I was using in Pune.
When you say you have just came down to Pune for some visit the traffic cops sometimes ask for toll receipts etc. as a proof, Which can be a pain if your in hurry.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:34   #5
BANNED

Thank you kiren and sidd25. I do not mind staying at a fair distance(20-25kms) from office and commuting on a daily basis as my office has transport facilities. My only concern is the area of stay. Like I mentioned, I d rather stay at the outskirts of the city in a better area than a congested prime locality.
Any suggestions/inputs about the places to stay and the rents thereof please?

Also, since I will probably be driving only on weekends and that too after I get to know the roads, will the KA vehicles still be an issue?
Old 8th July 2010, 13:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi All,
I will be relocating to Mumbai by the end of this month(July) and am totally unaware of the place, its nuances, weather, everything. All I know is the approximate location of my office at Mumbai which is either close to or at Hiranandani, Powai.

I have the following questions initially:

1. Is it ok in Mumbai to drive a KA registered vehicle? As long as you have a NOC from your city RTO and valid address proof of KA.
2. Which areas would be appropriate to get accommodation close to the place? My range for a 2BHK is around the Bangalore rates(8-9kper month with car parking). For that budget you will have to move to the far flung suburbs. Best option in of course Thane which is 1 hr drive from Powai if you slighlty increase your budget to 10-11k. For your budget you will easily get 1BHK in Thane although car parking not confirmed. I stay in Thane and travel to Hiranandani Powai for work.
3. Is it easy to travel to this area and from which part of Mumbai? The traffic from central suburbs to Powai is somewhat less chaotic than coming from the western suburbs like Malad, Goregaon, Kandivli etc.
4. I d prefer to take up accommodation at the outskirts of the city if there are no issues rather than end up staying at a packed and congested place so any tips on that would be useful. Again Thane/Airoli/Kharghar are good choices
5. What is the advance that is usually asked for by the landlords? Is it negotiable? 11 months rent equivalent.
6. Which are the areas that I should stay away from? I m currently a bachelor but will most probably get married this year, hence I prefer to take up a 2BHK rather than a 1 BHK and upgrade later. Am I thinking on the right lines? Refer to points 2, 3, 4
7. I m used to travelling for an hour using public transport while coming to and going back from office at Bangalore, so I can manage the same. I prefer office cab/public transport to riding or driving in the city daily so would prefer an area which has a bus depot/train terminus etc if possible.

Well this is it for now, but many more questions coming up later...
My comments in bold. In case you need any help pm me.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:19   #7
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Please find my replies inline:

Quote:
1. Is it ok in Mumbai to drive a KA registered vehicle?
Should not be an issue. You can always say that you would be here for a few weeks.

2. Which areas would be appropriate to get accommodation close to the place? My range for a 2BHK is around the Bangalore rates(8-9kper month with car parking).
Renting in Hiranandani Powai would be upwards of 50K per month for a 2 BHK. Non-Hiranandani-Powai and Andheri-East would be ~20K per month. Thane-Ghodbunder road (as suggested by Kiren) would be a good choice as you can get better locality, but the daily round-trip would be 50+ KM. While going back from work, it would take ~1.5-2 Hrs by car/bus. I would recommend checking out Vikhroli, Kanjurmarg, Bhandup, Mulund.

3. Is it easy to travel to this area and from which part of Mumbai?
Hiranandani Powai gets choked from 6PM till about 9PM. It takes about 30-45 minutes to cover the first 1-1.5 KM to reach the JVLR road. Its a beautiful area though

4. I d prefer to take up accommodation at the outskirts of the city if there are no issues rather than end up staying at a packed and congested place so any tips on that would be useful.
Please check out Mulund and Thane.

5. What is the advance that is usually asked for by the landlords? Is it negotiable?
Changes as per locality. Be ready to pay up to 60-80% of the annual rent as deposit.

6. Which are the areas that I should stay away from? I m currently a bachelor but will most probably get married this year, hence I prefer to take up a 2BHK rather than a 1 BHK and upgrade later. Am I thinking on the right lines?
Depends on your budget. 2BHKs are considered luxury by most Mumbaikars.

If you have not experienced public transport in Mumbai earlier, there might be a cultural shock . On a more serious note, company-transport is your best bet, if you do not want to use your car. Kanjurmarg (Central railway) is the nearest railway station which is around 3-4 KMs from Hiranandani Powai. You can get a auto from the station to Powai. Check with your oraganization if they have a shuttle service between the office and the nearest railway station.

Finally, all the best and welcome to Mumbai.

Last edited by SDP : 8th July 2010 at 14:22.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you have KA licence then not a big problem in driving your KA registered car(in anycase you will using it only for weekends)in mumbai. No one is going to stop you by seeing the registration number unless you are caught up in a routine highway check up or make an traffic offense.
I was driving Chennai Registered car in kerala for almost 5/6 months. Couple of times I was caught (whilst on highway police checking)by the cop and asked the question 'why the car is not re-registered in kerala'. I have shown my D/L (which has got my chennai address then) and told them that I am permenantly staying in chennai and come to kerala whenever needed. Never had any problem till I took the car back to chennai and sold it there.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Some areas you can consider for stay are

1. Vashi - KoparKhairane - Ghansoli (30-45 minutes through airoli)
2. Airoli (20-30 minutes)
3. Mulund-Bhandup-Thane-Ghodbunder (30-60 minutes)
4. Jogeshwari-Kandivili-Borivili (45-75 minutes)
5. GhatKopar-Kurla (W) (30-45 minutes)

All times mentioned are drive time during non rush hours.

Public transport to-fro Hiranandani is good even thought it does not have train connection.

but Jogeshwari-Vikroli Link road is alwasy full of traffic from morning 7:30 AM till 10:30 PM at night. more over the road/fly over construction is in progress since last over 12 years in this stretch.
Old 8th July 2010, 15:28   #10
BANNED

Feeling better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
My comments in bold. In case you need any help pm me.
Absolutely Sir, thank you for the initiative..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Please find my replies inline:
Thanks SDP. a few queries:
Could you please elaborate on the "culture shock" in public transport?
What would be rates be around Mulund and Thane? Any contacts?

Thank you for welcoming me to Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Some areas you can consider for stay are

1. Vashi - KoparKhairane - Ghansoli (30-45 minutes through airoli)
2. Airoli (20-30 minutes)
3. Mulund-Bhandup-Thane-Ghodbunder (30-60 minutes)
4. Jogeshwari-Kandivili-Borivili (45-75 minutes)
5. GhatKopar-Kurla (W) (30-45 minutes)

All times mentioned are drive time during non rush hours.

Public transport to-fro Hiranandani is good even thought it does not have train connection.

but Jogeshwari-Vikroli Link road is alwasy full of traffic from morning 7:30 AM till 10:30 PM at night. more over the road/fly over construction is in progress since last over 12 years in this stretch.
Now, that's a lot of options coming from a Mumbai old timer, if I may call you that.

What do you think the rates would be at Mulund-Bhandup-Thane-Ghodbunder (30-60 minutes) area?
Any other issues like electricity, water etc in the area?
If I take up a house in this area, will I still need to travel using the Jogeshwari-Vikroli Link road? If yes, what areas/routes can avoid it?
Finally, any contacts in the area that I can use to get a house at good rates?(You know, Bhais, Beedus and the like...!!)
Old 8th July 2010, 15:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please elaborate on the "culture shock" in public transport? Thats something which is beyond words and would take an avg Mumbaikar atleast a complete day to explain. But you need to personally experience it and then maybe try to put in words. I'm not trying to scare you though.
Try searching portals like magicbricks, 99 acres, makaan etc for the existing rates. These rates keep differing according to locations.
My colleague sitting on opp desk says a 2BHK in Airoli rents around 10K pm.

What do you think the rates would be at Mulund-Bhandup-Thane-Ghodbunder (30-60 minutes) area? Differs from areat to area, location to location. Premium locations charge more. Single building societies less.

Any other issues like electricity, water etc in the area? The usual govt machinery works the same in every city in India, Mumbai is no different. If you want premium services, be ready to pay for it.

If I take up a house in this area, will I still need to travel using the Jogeshwari-Vikroli Link road? If yes, what areas/routes can avoid it?
If coming to Powai from Thane/Airoli - Eastern Express Highway best possible route. If coming from Mulund/Bhandup/Vikhroli - LBS road, horrendous traffic during peak hours.

Finally, any contacts in the area that I can use to get a house at good rates?(You know, Bhais, Beedus and the like...!!)
BTW when are you planning to come to Mumbai or you are already in Mumbai.
Old 8th July 2010, 15:51   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
BTW when are you planning to come to Mumbai or you are already in Mumbai.
I will most probably need to come to Mumbai by the end of this month. I m currently at Bangalore.

Airoli seems to be a good option and 10k is affordable by my standards. Any big traffic snarls expected in the area since I see only one Airoli bridge?
Old 8th July 2010, 15:58   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Jogeshwari Vikhroli LR is pretty ok if you hit it before 8:15 am from the Vikhroli side. Again in the evening it's ok, if you start from Powai by 5:30 pm or so.

Quote:
Well, you won't get it till you see it :-)Trains are unbelievably crowded (in peak hours even in the first class compartment). Likewise buses. You wouldn't have seen these kinds of crowds in your life before.

However, there are AC public transport buses also from Mulund etc which take you to Powai. These also will be crowded, but not as much. Plus you won't be sweating.

Quote:
Depending on the part of Mulund, the rent can be anywhere between 10K to 20K for a 2BHK, I think.

Thane & Airoli will be cheaper but you would have to pay Rs. 30*2 toll per day if you are going to be driving. If you are taking a bus, then that doesn't matter.

Quote:
Electricity in Mulund falls under MSEDCL, unlike most of Bombay which is supplied by BEST.

BEST power supply is probably the best in the world. In an average year, you may have one powercut. Two if it's a bad year.
MSEDCL in Pune isn't as good, but MSEDCL in Mulund seems to be OK in the short time I have spent in Mulund.

Quote:
If I take up a house in this area, will I still need to travel using the Jogeshwari-Vikroli Link road?

Yes.
Andheri, Jogeshwari, Goregoan etc are the Western suburbs of Bombay.
Mulund, Vikhroli, Ghatkopar etc are the Eastern suburbs of Bombay.
JVLR is one of the roads which connects the eastern & western suburbs.
Powai is on the Jogeshwari Vikhroli Link Road i.e. in between the eastern & western suburbs.

Places like Chandivili, Saki Naka etc are also close to Powai. Not sure about the current rents there though. Chandivili used to be pretty reasonable long back.

I have moved a lot in the last 10 odd years. Lived in 5 different cities. My experience is that you should keep an open mind. Look around for a week or do & then decide. Most of the preparation you do on choosing a locality before you land in the city usually never helps.

Last edited by carboy : 8th July 2010 at 16:07.
Old 8th July 2010, 16:05   #14
BANNED

Check Goregaon east you'll get decent flats on reant if you are not looking for posh location, Satelite Garden and Gokuldham are preety decent areas rest is upto you and you can take Aarey milk colony route towards Powai(i use to do the same when i was in Mumbai), i stayed in Kolaba, Andheri(w)-Lokhandwala and Goregaon and enjoied life in each area, Kolaba is known for being real Bombay very posh and costly, Andheri for its bollywood charm and Goregaon for its natural beauti which was almost distroied when i left that place for good.
Old 8th July 2010, 16:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely Sir, thank you for the initiative..

Thanks SDP. a few queries:

Thank you for welcoming me to Mumbai.

Now, that's a lot of options coming from a Mumbai old timer, if I may call you that.

What do you think the rates would be at Mulund-Bhandup-Thane-Ghodbunder (30-60 minutes) area?
Let me take a stab at these questions:

Rates in Mulund are atleast 10K for a 1BHK and can go upto 20K for a 2BHK depending upon the society and the area in Mulund where you would stay.
Bhandup would be a shade cheaper than Mulund. Thane would be the cheapest of all the three locations. Pls note that Bhandup is the nearest location of the three from Powai, then comes Mulund and then Thane.
Electricity to all these three areas are by MSEB i.e. Maharashtra State Electricity Board. Power Cuts are there but less during Rainy and Winter season but increase during the summer season.

Where ever you stay, JVLR is the main link to reach Powai. There is another road thru L.B.S.Marg that ends up at the back of Powai but mostly JVLR would be the primary link.

Pls note that JVLR is generally clogged from 8:00 AM to approx 11:00 AM and from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM on most of the weekdays.

My $0.02: Don't stay in the western suburbs like Goregaon/Malad/Kandivili as the roads are badly clogged in the morning and would take you upwards of 1.5 hrs to commute to Powai thru bumper-bumper traffic.

Cheers
f1fan

Last edited by f1fan : 8th July 2010 at 16:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks