Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 09:57   #301
BHPian

Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

ha ha , nice one esp about the "kicks". We dont get it from CCD , I purchade it from the coffee day outlets that sell only coffee and tea powder.

I didnt like the pre packed coffee powder , i feel something is missing. Want to try a proper fresh ground coffee.
Old 6th November 2012, 21:04   #302
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Inferior coffee for ten times the price??

The Bialetti is very easy to clean. Ensure you clean the rubber gasket at the bottom of the upper vessel, as rubber is chemically sensitive. Just rinse everything else, simple!! No soap, it might take away the flavour
So you save on electricity bills AND on dish soap!
ABSOLUTELY. The best thing that happened for coffee lovers. I have this as well as a 'fancy/snazzy' espresso machine from Italy, and the espresso machine lies unused.
Old 30th December 2012, 11:14   #303
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Are there still any "India Coffee House" restaurants any more in Bombay? I remember them fondly from the 90s. There were 2 in Bombay that I know of - one in Seepz and one in Chembur. I have no idea if the Seepz one is still open, but the Chembur one closed more than 10 years back, I think. The coffee was great, the food was also pretty decent.

The waiters were remarkably stupid both in Seepz and in Chembur - but it was still part of the fun - there was a time in my life when I used to go there both in the mornings and evenings. Once I sat on a table and ordered a coffee. Before the coffee came, I moved to a different table (corner table or whatever). The waiter came with the coffee to the earlier table - looked around and saw me sitting at a different table. He bought the coffee to my new table. After a little while, he got me a 2 bills - he had charged me for a coffee at each of the tables. It took a really long time to convince him to bill me for just 1 coffee. Someone I know used to joke that ICH has a written test for recruiting waiters and only those who fail the test are eligible. This isn't to say that the service was bad - the service was usually good - but basic common sense used to totally elude them.

I really miss the place - their coffee was great and their Veg Cutlets were the best I have ever eaten.

Are there still ICH's in Bombay suburbs?
Old 7th May 2013, 17:59   #304
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coffee beans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
People from Delhi can buy it from
Coffee Board, No 13/2,
Jamnagar House Complex,
Shahjahan Road
India Gate, New Delhi- 110 011.
Phone : 011-23073139(Off)
Called up this place to find out that India Coffee Center is where you can get roasted coffee beans from.

Don't have the complete address but the gentleman on the phone said that India Coffee Center is behind the Rivoli building in Connaught Place.

Phone number - 011-23361611
Open - Monday to Friday (9:30 am to 6 pm), Saturday (9:30 am to 3 pm), Sunday off

Will be visiting them next weekend for sure!
Old 30th June 2013, 08:39   #305
BANNED

I recently started buying coffee powder from Cafe Coffee Day's online store. They have a starter pack which contains 3 different coffee powders. Post trying that I chose their Perfect Coffee Powder which contains 20% chicory and I have been using it for sometime now. I like it much better than the Mysore Concerns Coffee powder I was using before this.

This only problem is that the Pack dates on the packet are usually 1.5 months or so earlier. I called them up and they said it's vacuum sealed and hence it's fresh. They offered to refund my money in case I want to send the packets back.

However, as I said it tastes better my earlier coffee so this is what I am using currently. This is also available at CCD stores.
Old 30th June 2013, 11:43   #306
BHPian

Try Appa's coffee, Frowner's coffee or Watapi coffee delivered home, fresh, as per your order, and roast preference.
They deliver free in Mumbai. Please check if they can deliver to other parts of the country.

The packs that Starbucks sells are also great. I can't handle the dark roast, but the others are superb.

The Matunga Coffee Club (MCC?) at Amba Bhavan, off King's Circle serves the most delicious filter coffee I've ever had.
Old 30th June 2013, 11:52   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Called up this place to find out that India Coffee Center is where you can get roasted coffee beans from.

Don't have the complete address but the gentleman on the phone said that India Coffee Center is behind the Rivoli building in Connaught Place.
The place I usually to go when in Delhi, rather, I make it a point to go is Devans in Khanna Market,Lodhi Colony. Apart from indian beans, they have brazilian and colombian beans too.
http://www.devans.in/

Also, if you're into organic and single estate try: bluetokai.com and as someone suggested above- http://www.theindianbean.com/ I regularly order from them and it arrives freshly roasted at your doorstep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I recently started buying coffee powder from Cafe Coffee Day's online store. They have a starter pack which contains 3 different coffee powders. Post trying that I chose their Perfect Coffee Powder which contains 20% chicory and I have been using it for sometime now. I like it much better than the Mysore Concerns Coffee powder I was using before this.

This only problem is that the Pack dates on the packet are usually 1.5 months or so earlier. I called them up and they said it's vacuum sealed and hence it's fresh. They offered to refund my money in case I want to send the packets back.
If you go to Phillips Coffee, Mahim/Colaba causeway- you'll get freshly roasted powder. I prefer their Highlander blend versus Peabody. Alternatively, refer to the links above - freshly roasted delivered to your doorstep. In terms of pricing, Phillips and CCD certainly are more economical.

Last edited by msbehave : 30th June 2013 at 11:54.
Old 4th July 2013, 16:15   #308
BHPian

My 2 cents to this thread. As a longtime coffee drinker, have yet to come across anything with better taste and convenience than an Aeropress filter. Available for 2.5K at Devans in Delhi and far cheaper on Amazon (shipped to Shop and Ship or HopShopGo). Try it out!
Old 8th March 2014, 15:26   #309
AWD
BHPian

I've purchased a new Coffee Maker(Oster). Just installed the unit & primed it. Now I have regular Nescafe at home but not sure whether to use it or not. Which coffee should I use, fine ground or granules or any other ?
Old 8th March 2014, 16:08   #310
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I've purchased a new Coffee Maker(Oster). Just installed the unit & primed it. Now I have regular Nescafe at home but not sure whether to use it or not. Which coffee should I use, fine ground or granules or any other ?
No. You shouldn't be using Nescafe.

Go to a Cafe Coffee Day & get their "Perfect" 200 gm pack of coffee powder. That is 80% coffee powder + 20% chicory. You can start with that & then try other stuff based on your taste.
Old 8th March 2014, 17:46   #311
AWD
BHPian

Thanks you. Nescafe can block the filter ?

Afterwards will get a grinder & grind beans for fresh & aromatic cup of coffee.
Old 8th March 2014, 18:49   #312
BANNED

Quote:
Nescafe can block the filter ?
I have no idea. But Nescafe is instant coffee. You don't need to brew it - ergo you don't a machine or any contraption for it. You just put into into hot water/milk and drink it. Regular coffee needs to be brewed before drinking. A coffee machine is one way to brew it.

Instant coffee never tastes as good as actual brewed coffee. It's a shortcut.
Old 10th March 2014, 15:38   #313

Quote:
Hi, don't use Nespresso! That's instant coffee.

I have an Oster machine at my office. There are lots of places you can get regular coffee from. Especially of late, there have been a spurt of businesses that roast fresh coffee.

Look at the following websites -
www.bluetokai.com
www.theindianbean.com

Order some city/dark roast, espresso grind from either sites. They support local coffee farming and have done the research of where to source the nicest Indian coffee for you. BlueTokai in roasts the coffee to your specifications after you've placed the order (freshly roasted coffee is a HUGE contributor to creating a good espresso).

Have fun!
Old 10th March 2014, 15:51   #314
BANNED

I have started buying from https://shop.cafecoffeeday.com/buy/coffee-powders - I buy their 'Perfect' brand - it's 80% coffee & 20% chicory. Costs Rs. 150 for 400g and it's reasonably good for a drip coffee which is the only coffee I can drink every day.
Old 13th March 2014, 14:59   #315

There's a fun and informative coffee group on facebook for people who want to know more about coffee and it's intricacies.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/addictedtocoffee/

Most Viewed