Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 09:03   #436
BHPian

Re: A Yetiguide® to Coffee

Indian Coffee House normally offers very good filter coffees. They got over 400 branches across India. If you are in Kerala, you will find ICH in most of the districts and every 15km to 20km in national highways. Their Masala Dosa and coffee for breakfast is something you can always rely on. Most of the coffee houses also serve freshly prepared Cutlet and their own sauce. Coffee and Cutlets are excellent combo.
Old 12th May 2020, 09:10   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
Indian Coffee House normally offers very good filter coffees. They got over 400 branches across India. If you are in Kerala, you will find ICH in most of the districts and every 15km to 20km in national highways. Their Masala Dosa and coffee for breakfast is something you can always rely on. Most of the coffee houses also serve freshly prepared Cutlet and their own sauce. Coffee and Cutlets are excellent combo.
I believed this and I took two foreign friends to the one near CP in Delhi. They served us Nescafe and badly fried dosas around 9:30 in the morning and we were the only people there for some reason (maybe the bad food and worse coffee).

I've had excellent beef porotta and fairly ok coffee at the India Coffee House near Statue in Trivandrum, on the other hand.
Old 12th May 2020, 16:52   #438
BHPian

Hello All!

What is your feedback on the coffee from Third Wave Coffee Roasters?
Their present collection is here https://www.thirdwavecoffeeroasters....lections/beans
The options on their website keeps changing.

I quite like their coffees when I visit their branches. So I started procuring the coffee from them for my home drip coffee maker. I find the coffee pretty good. Has anyone else tried it? Are there better options available?

I'm currently having their Karadykhan Estate coffee which has been pretty good. I previously had tried their Baabara Estate coffee which was also very good.

Last edited by arijitkanrar : 12th May 2020 at 16:56. Reason: Added info
Old 12th May 2020, 18:19   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I believed this and I took two foreign friends to the one near CP in Delhi. They served us Nescafe and badly fried dosas around 9:30 in the morning and we were the only people there for some reason (maybe the bad food and worse coffee
I haven't experienced ICH outside Kerala except one in Koramangala, Banglore. You are right. We can't expect same quality in all branches. In Kerala, most of the branches serves good food.
Old 12th May 2020, 20:04   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimal_67 View Post
The supplier you seem to be referring to is https://www.arakucoffee.in/. I have not been sourcing from them.
The product range appears to be very much steeply priced compared to what I pay when I source it directly from Arakku, which is pretty obvious though. As mentioned in my post, I source it from Mr Gopal Rao, owner of the Arakku Coffee Museum. In addition, I have known that the Girijan Cooperative Society also have started retailing now. You may contact them also through https://www.tribalcoffee.in/. The prices are more reasonable there.
Thanks Bimal, Big help indeed. Saved me some money. I dont know how I missed the tribalcoffee website and went to the private player, but all good now. Thanks once again.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 23:16   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
Hello All!

What is your feedback on the coffee from Third Wave Coffee Roasters?
Their present collection is here https://www.thirdwavecoffeeroasters....lections/beans
The options on their website keeps changing.

I'm currently having their Karadykhan Estate coffee which has been pretty good. I previously had tried their Baabara Estate coffee which was also very good.
Its pretty good. But TBH, its hard to justify the pricing for me.

I go through 5-6 cups of Americano a day, so for me some freshly ground Plantation AA Arabica coffee from Suma Coffee works just fine (costs<INR 500 a kg). I use my trustworthy Aeropress in most cases. Sometimes a Moka pot or a French Press. Over the weekends, I just walk into (used to during the good old days I mean) the Third Wave or Blue Tokai and grab one of their coffees here in Indiranagar.
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 12:34   #442
BHPian

I need help from the coffee experts in this forum.

We love coffee! The missus and I consume a LOT of coffee and we generally buy in kilos, which is usually instant coffee. However, since the connoisseurs suggest brewing one's own brew we also have a lot of coffee powder from our standard Cothas, Tata, to some South American blends and also Kopi Luwaks.
We also have a couple of coffee makers (electrical ones) where I simply put in the coffee powder and fill in the machine with water. 10 minutes later-lo and behold the dark elixir is here.
However, all such coffees from the machines taste a little burnt, dilute and bitter like the coffees we get in the US or even in Europe, from those electronic machines at the breakfast buffets/ cafeterias. None have that typical south Indian rich filter coffee taste which we love or even a rich coffee aroma and taste!

What am I doing wrong? How do I get that luxurious rich coffee aroma where I can actually differentiate between different blends and it doesn't taste like diluted swill?
Should I get one of those expensive coffee makers with 10 different attachments?
Please guide.
Old 24th June 2020, 13:43   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
What am I doing wrong? How do I get that luxurious rich coffee aroma where I can actually differentiate between different blends and it doesn't taste like diluted swill?
Since you're in Bangalore you already have access to good coffee which I being in Kolkata sadly doesn't have.

First part is to select the appropriate coffee powder for your taste. If you like the South Indian filter coffee taste, you may like to try 80% coffee and 20% chickory blend. Also, roasts matter, dark roasts may tastes bitter, lighter roasts may taste bland. So you need to experiment a bit. We don't know exactly which coffees you're using.

Also, you don't need any expensive equipment. if you like filter coffee taste buy a South Indian filter coffee equipment of stainless steel. Be careful to select the right coffee powder for filter coffee which should be 80:20 and should be finely ground.

Else you can get a french press. For french press I'd recommend 100% Arabiccah but grind will be much coarse. Usually if you buy from those shops who freshly grind, they'll give you properly ground coffee if you tell them your equipment.

Watch a few YouTube videos and you'll never go back to your instant coffee.
Old 24th June 2020, 16:57   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Since you're in Bangalore you already have access to good coffee which I being in Kolkata sadly doesn't have.
I have heard good things about Potboiler Coffee House (Triangular Park) from my friends, though I'm yet to try it out. Have you?

Last edited by roy_libran : 24th June 2020 at 17:15.
Old 24th June 2020, 18:03   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I have heard good things about Potboiler Coffee House (Triangular Park) from my friends, though I'm yet to try it out. Have you?
I have heard about them too but recently just before the lock down started. So yet to try them.
Old 25th June 2020, 00:33   #446

A thread on coffee? This one got me excited enough to get out of my introverted shell, I have been lurking in the forums silently for long. Thankfully for the recent posts I was able to come across this. I'm also an avid coffee drinker living among mostly tea people. I was used to drinking the packaged ground coffee and didn't like instant coffee at all. I have recently started drinking fresh roasted coffee and enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
We also have a couple of coffee makers (electrical ones) where I simply put in the coffee powder and fill in the machine with water. 10 minutes later-lo and behold the dark elixir is here.
However, all such coffees from the machines taste a little burnt, dilute and bitter like the coffees we get in the US or even in Europe, from those electronic machines at the breakfast buffets/ cafeterias. None have that typical south Indian rich filter coffee taste which we love or even a rich coffee aroma and taste!
Dark roast coffee may taste burnt and bitter a little even when properly made and typically used for milk based drinks. Specialty coffees are mostly less bitter arabica coffee medium dark to light roast to bring out the flavour while drinking black. Or you may be using very finely ground coffee in the coffee brewer. It brings out the burnt and bitter taste. Filter coffee available in super markets are the more bitter robusta beans which are dark roast finely ground for the south indian filter style milk preparation and typically not suited for the drip brewer. Try to get freshly roasted good coffee from roasters like bluetokai, Kc roasters etc. (the ones I mainly use) ground perfectly for coffee makers. For eg. In bluetokai's website you can find Coffee filter as grind size, In KC Roaster's site, you can find electric brewer as grind size. Buy it at low quantity enough for 2 weeks so that it won't go stale before you finish up. Believe me, fresh roasted coffee sure do make a difference.

If that's not the case, then your machine also might not be spreading water evenly over the coffee. I don't think you need to go for expensive coffee makers. If you feel your machine is not doing things right, you can try your hand in manual brewing, that way you can get it right for how you want it. Without any specific brewer, You can try simple steeping as seen here. https://bluetokaicoffee.com/collections/new-to-coffee .Or you can get moka pot like the cafe coffee day stove top espresso or aeropress for strong concentrated shot of coffee. Or try a drip style brewer like clever dripper for lighter black coffee.
Old 10th July 2020, 19:01   #447
Senior - BHPian

My coffee journey this year was almost a disaster but has been resuscitated.
My Breville machine breathed her last. I settled for a French Press which was a good place to start. Added a moka pot to the mix - interesting instrument and kinda okay for a quick brew. Then my son managed to drop the French press.
I finally settled for an aeropress and am thoroughly impressed. My mornings are great again. It is overpriced here in India, but still much cheaper than the basic espresso (pump) machines. (The steam machines are not as great).
I've been buying coffee beans from BlueTokai and Black Baza this year. I seem to like a medium roast of 80:20 arabica:robusta the best. Chicory is a strict no-no for my taste buds for some reason.
I've blogged my coffee journey here in this post and you can read it for some light hearted humorous reading.
http://www.addicted2jesus.com/a2jdia...e-journey.html
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 11:40   #448
BHPian

Wow Wow Wow!!! I just love team-bhp, there's a thread for everything here! Finished a 50g jar of Nescafe Gold Blend and was searching the internet for good coffees, ended up finding that Nescafe is instant coffee and is not real coffee in the true sense. However, no where on the internet I could find a proper guide to making good coffee which properly explained in layman terms, and people ended up confusing me so much with all kinds of equipments like moka pot, this press that press, blah blah blah... Ended up ordering a 100g Jar of Davidoff Fine Aroma instant coffee, took one sip and realised it is such a rip off!

One fine day, it struck me to search coffee on team-bhp and as expected, there was this magnificent thread by our own Coffee connoisseurs.
So, fast forward to present day. Got my South Indian Filter Coffee Maker from Jayanthi delivered today with a complimentary 50g Jayanthi Coffee Powder. A couple of questions to our esteemed members:
1. I drink coffee in Tea cups and need only one cup. How much coffee powder should I put in the maker and how long should I brew it (Jayanthi says 30 minutes)? I don't like too strong coffee but I love the aroma.
2. When I finish up the complimentary packet, I hope to buy roasted coffee beans next. So, for the South Indian Coffee Maker, do I need to grind them Coarse or fine? I will using a mixer grinder for grinding or a hammer and a parchment paper. Also, please suggest some good brands available on amazon.

Also, please suggest some good brands on amazon for roasted coffee beans. Is Continental Malgudi and Blue Tokai good brands? Blue Tokai seems expensive - ₹420 for 250gm roasted beans.

Last edited by Candy$Cars : 12th September 2020 at 11:42.
Old 12th September 2020, 12:47   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
1. I drink coffee in Tea cups and need only one cup. How much coffee powder should I put in the maker and how long should I brew it (Jayanthi says 30 minutes)? I don't like too strong coffee but I love the aroma.
Blue Tokai is expensive and very high quality and continental is about the quality of a good supermarket coffee.

Rule of thumb is for a South Indian drip filter (steel cylinder with holes on top of a steel cup) around 40% filled with powder and gently pressed down - don’t pack it down too hard - and 60% boiling water, poured in a circular motion and slowly on top of the powder.

Only a small quantity of the dark liquid you get called decoction is enough to top with milk and sugar for one cup. Keep the rest of the decoction in the fridge and you can have more coffee over the next day or two.
Old 12th September 2020, 12:58   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Also, please suggest some good brands on amazon for roasted coffee beans. Is Continental Malgudi and Blue Tokai good brands? Blue Tokai seems expensive - ₹420 for 250gm roasted beans.
Try coffee from Devan's. They are Delhi based company. I'm using their coffee since quite long very reasonably priced compared to the quality of beans. You can buy directly from their site @ https://www.devans.in/ . Earlier they had 100 gm packs, but now it seems they have stopped that and only selling 250gm pack. You can contact the owner and ask trial packs of 3-4 coffees of 100gms and see what you like.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks