Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 14:40   #1
CPH
BHPian

This is how some English company makes advertising on the back of India...

This is an excerpt of the SFS website to make themselves look good. Incredible how low they go in advertising:

The long development process was embarked upon, so that we could ensure that SFS Performance could continue to deliver the best quality hoses and give the best service to our customers. We were aware that low quality, cheap, Chinese and Indian imports were coming in to the market, and we had to address the price differential. Our customers still want to buy quality products, made from premium materials, so we knew we had to reduce manufacturing costs. Some of our competitors have decided to produce gimmicky products, or sell the cheap imports, but at SFS Performance we have concentrated on the most important thing – manufacturing excellence.

So, they try to say that products from India aren't excellent and admit by trying to make a big hoo ha that they are overpriced.

I wonder what Ratan Tata has got to say about this. I am sure there is good reason that Jaguar doesn't use them.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:53   #2
BHPian

Isn't that almost true as well. You pay less if it was made in a country with cheap workforce, and you get what you pay for. If anyone makes anything of higher degree of performance or quality, they're totally safe claiming to be better than competition.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:59   #3
BHPian

Every Tom, Dick and Harry have a bad and stupid opinion about India. Mostly out of ignorance and misplace arrogance and a certain bit definitely due to us. I am starting to ignore these now. How can Bugatti get away with a map of India like that otherwise?
Old 13th July 2010, 17:06   #4
BHPian

This is true when it comes to marketing the products. And I dont feel it is restricted to UK alone. Even here in India we hear companies claiming "quality Indian product. Better than the cheap Chinese imports". So basically we consider the Chinese products cheap and the West considers Indian and Chinese products cheap and of low quality.

The point here is, all Chinese or Indian products are not cheap and of low quality. We do get good stuff from the Chinese/Indian provided we are ready to pay for it. I know of Chinese companies who are ready to supply the same product at different prices and quality and all this comes out of the same manufacturing facility!!
Old 13th July 2010, 18:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

It's true that IF you want a cheap inferior good, you can easily source it from china or India. it's called having a choice. Why do I have to pay 500 Rs for a plastic bucket with fancy designs, foot pegs and what not when I can get a cheap one in 50Rs with just a simple handle.

and why do we have to get defensive about it?

The point is also that no matter what they say, consumer WILL choose what's right for them.
Old 13th July 2010, 18:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't see anything wrong in that post, they said they are aware of low quality cheap chinese and indian imports coming into the market. India and China, two countries where labour is cheap, definitely produces high quality and low quality items, catering to different segments of the market, for eg., cheap low quality spare parts and costlier high quality spare parts. We do both. So if a company has issued such a statement nothing wrong in it, maybe what they are getting there is indeed our low quality items.

Hey we say the same thing about Chinese stuff, don't we?
Old 13th July 2010, 19:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

Let us say that UK companies under Indian ownership are doing much better than before. They are respecting and leveraging the talent rather than lift and shift all assets
Old 13th July 2010, 19:06   #8
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
Isn't that almost true as well. You pay less if it was made in a country with cheap workforce, and you get what you pay for. If anyone makes anything of higher degree of performance or quality, they're totally safe claiming to be better than competition.
I have seen a lot of products from India that are of excellent quality. I know at least one of the German tractor manufacturers who buys different parts made to spec from India.

Of course I would never employ an Indian as a lead soul singer, but then I wouldn't get an audience through the pain of listening top a white souls singer either. This only African descendents are capable of.

On a serious note comapnies like SFS are rather discriminative in their attitude to make themselves look better in an immoral way.

I think it is about time that we kick the *** of such companies and show them that it has nothing got to do with their warped elitist thinking than rather with the will to produce quality than pretending to be the best when all other average suppliers are as good as them.
Old 13th July 2010, 20:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

I went shopping for the long weekend recently and my American friend told me look out for the labels on the clothes. I looked at her and read "Made in India". She said you might be buying stuff which was made in India and exported here and you might be buying for a premium price as well. So products from all over come here like Taiwan, China, Hong Kong etc. So we buy export quality goods in the US. Big deal. If a person likes it he will take it, if not then he will not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
How can Bugatti get away with a map of India like that otherwise?
Add Google.com (not co.in) on the list too. Irritating really. They have Kashmir in dotted lines in .com and in bold lines in .co.in. Whom are they fooling ?
Old 14th July 2010, 13:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
I think it is about time that we kick the *** of such companies and show them that it has nothing got to do with their warped elitist thinking than rather with the will to produce quality than pretending to be the best when all other average suppliers are as good as them.
and how do we do that? ignoring would be the best idea.

like someone said, there is no need to be so defensive. Known fact that Indian companies do make products which are normally cheaper than their western counterparts. Some of them are crap but some are very good. It is just not possible to go around changing everybody's opinion about our country, so why not let them find it out themselves one way or the other.

Anwyays this is just a marketing ploy. They do not need to believe what they are saying but they do want to set themselves apart to sell their product don't they..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks