Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2005, 14:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

What can we as Team BHPians do for our roads and cities?

The rains have brought out the age old problems of deterioriating roads across the country. This brings up the following as issues:

1) Bad road laying: City councils and the engineers are to blame
2) Incomplete Town Planning
3) Bad driving sense leading to traffic jams all across
4) Lack of mass transport systems, or need for increased mass trasnsportation systems

and many more...

All of this leads to all of us having to face higher accident rates, higher fuel consumption, higher repair bills due to higher maintainence costs etc even after paying our taxes deligently.

So the question now: "What can we do to drive the Govt to provide the right facilities and infrastructure?"
Old 10th November 2005, 14:56   #2
Joz
BHPian

My 2 cents

[quote=Psycho]

3) Bad driving sense leading to traffic jams all across

I am not sure if we can reall 'enforce' anything, we can only 'educate' a great deal though.

Educate everyone possible - word of mouth, emails or any other means of communication which actually doesn't cost.

Apart from infrastrucutre porblems leading to traffic congestion, every other driver on the road adds to it, because he thinks his 5 seconds is much more important than anyone else's on the road.

We could lay out a given set do's and dont's which are universally true in any situation, and circulate it among who ever might be willing to read through it.

For example, crossing the yellow line (unless directed by the officials), will only add to the problem and never solve it. I hope you guys get the drift.

With regard to the officials and the cops, i think the need a tight whack for being what they are.
Old 10th November 2005, 15:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

educate the police guys first.

bribe the ministers/officials to do what we tbhp guys say.

get team-bhp stickers for your cars. report tbhpian who dont above road rules in here

i hate the word town planning. ask any guys from Trivandrum abt it. they have a new under bridge which #$%^&*(, shame . They made the bridge and now they are thinking how to correct the traffic coz now the bridge causes traffic jam!

And, fun apart, introduce toll to drive inside high congestion areas ( mate,it worked in UK). Bikes and local transport dont need to pay for it.

Last edited by jkdas : 10th November 2005 at 15:11.
Old 10th November 2005, 15:18   #4
BHPian

Hey great man!
Your suggestions sound good to me.
All TBHPians can make a summary of good points/rules to be followed that we can take printouts of,and then distribute them in our local libraries,clubs,among friends etc...
Old 10th November 2005, 16:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Just keep your cars at home and take the public transport ! after that "MAYBE" the authorities might feel to improve the public transport as they feel the load !

sheeesh...am i day dreaming or wat ? if only wishes were horses !
Old 10th November 2005, 17:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

hahaha...keep dreaming NC. If that happens, they'll say that as there are less cars on the roads, they don't need to bother about them so they can sell more land to the builders!!
Old 10th November 2005, 18:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well..the road conditions in India are not gonna improve, no matter what. The only thing we could be doin is to drive safe, and teach others to do the same. And ofcourse, get more people to join Team-BHP
Old 10th November 2005, 18:36   #8
BHPian

one way to start would be to punish those goons caught by lok ayukta.
i hope somehow a no-confidence-motion is raised. and if there are re-elections, i'll create a new row called "None of These" in the ballot paper and put a stamp there.
i honestly feel it is high time someone from the IT starts a new political party; ofcourse, hoping that these guys don't stoop down to the levels of the current government.
Old 10th November 2005, 20:31   #9
BHPian

My brain locked-up thinking about this one...

On Indian roads, you can be an traffic hazard even if you conscientiously
follow traffic rules... And you are seen as a freak if you do follow rules.

The chaos has more to do with the Indian mindset (you would'nt want to
go *there*) rather than on the pathetic condition of the infrastructure.

- mvnk
Old 10th November 2005, 21:26   #10
BHPian

man,you know.. we need to do our small bits on the road to teach people some road manners..
a few things that i do -
1.Whenever someone honks before the signal turns green,I just roll down the window,make a hand sign to tell him to fly above my vehicle and jump the signal..
2. Whenever I see anyone spitting on the road at signals,I make a bad face/say chhe !..!
3.whenever people cross the road even though they see cars coming towards them,and they don't give us right of way,i stop the car,roll down the window,and tell them-thank you for letting me use your roads..(ofcourse-in hindi !)
4.whenever some taxi is standing to alight/wait for a passenger in double lane,i stop for a min. by his side,and tell him he's stopped in wrong lane..the taxi alight lane is the one adjacent to the divider in the middle of the road..and not the left most lane..!

well,that's the bit i can do to improve some road sense among everyone in a gentle way..and hope i make that small difference to our roads everyday as a team bhpian !

cheers,
sr
Old 10th November 2005, 22:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Go to this site, follow it verbatim

Make sure everyone follows this:

http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.org/
Old 10th November 2005, 22:40   #12
Team-BHP Support

After all those complaints about screwed up roads, all the Mumbai municipality did was black list a few contractors. That's not the solution. What angered me even more was that when a newspaper brought the situation of the city's roads to the then CM's notice, he said, he was not aware that the roads were bad. Nobody in the cabinet / govt. organisation had told him anything about it. Boy does this guy know his land and people well!
The only way they are going to be able to repair a road is by closing it to the public for a day or two and doing a thorough repair job (not just patchwork). If vehicles pass over a newly done-up road, everything is going to be undone. Now, I know people will say that in a city like Mumbai where the traffic is as dense as anywhere, this is not possible, but, it's the only solution. Everyone will have to take a detour.
Old 11th November 2005, 10:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Check this out:
http://www.bangalorepotholes.com/
Old 11th November 2005, 10:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Dude, this is too good...it says NO POTHOLES FOUND ON BANNARGHATTA RD.

Virtual solution to real problems?
Old 11th November 2005, 10:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Considering the site opened just today morning, u gotta show a little patience. its upto people like you and me to report the potholes.

EDIT: looks like your prayers have been answered, Steeroid. Go here:
http://www.bangalorepotholes.com/def...rmprbs&frmid=1

and search for bannerghatta road.

Last edited by amitoj : 11th November 2005 at 10:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks