Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 23:34   #151
BHPian

Heard this from a dzire owner.

"After installing a spoiler on my ride,it gives 23kmpl."
Old 20th July 2010, 23:40   #152
Senior - BHPian

Ha ha in fact it can be a Patentable idea,just like a jumbo jet bike with 4 engines,start on two then fire other two while accelarating, back to two while cruising
Old 21st July 2010, 00:07   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
To answer you question, Yes, he was serious. This guy doesn't own a car or know anything about them.
He's one of those guys from some village, who study really really hard and thus do end up getting into IIT. You find a lot of these types in the IIT's and various engineering colleges, who mug up the text books, but don't have a lot of real life knowledge beyond that, yet they are able to score very high on the entrance exams and tests by sheer hard work and effort.
To correct any misconceptions you have here, IIT JEE is not about mugging up or about having any knowledge. Most of the exam is about analytical thinking, questions about science and math that do not require learning formulae but seeing the corner cases in those. To equate his knowledge of Internal Combustion Engines to his knowledge othewise is very unfair.
kapss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2010, 00:53   #154
Senior - BHPian

Just remembered one more .Recently one of our family friends' bought an I 10 Sportz.When asked whats the difference between a sportz and other I 10's ...he said this model has a sports sound ...and he revved and showed me how his exhaust sound was a milder version of my FFE .Also ,according to him ,the FE is more in a Sportz model.

Also ,he was doing 140 kph when a volvo bus overtook him !!!
Old 21st July 2010, 02:03   #155
Senior - BHPian

Was checking out a car at autoshow. 2 teenagers are also there and one says, "Woooow, speedometer goes upto 180 man" This car must be super powerful.
Old 21st July 2010, 03:30   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapss View Post
To correct any misconceptions you have here, IIT JEE is not about mugging up or about having any knowledge. Most of the exam is about analytical thinking, questions about science and math that do not require learning formulae but seeing the corner cases in those. To equate his knowledge of Internal Combustion Engines to his knowledge othewise is very unfair.
I think that comment hit a raw nerve, but I didn't read it as a generalization of IIT students, in fact far from it. Many of them have excellent "knowledge" and can think analytically.

However, when you say that equating his knowledge of Internal Combustion Engines with his other knowledge is unfair, I'd encourage you to take a step back. Internal combustion engines are taught to students in school, and is a part of basic physics. I refuse to accept that this shouldn't be general knowledge at the very least.
Old 21st July 2010, 07:24   #157
Senior - BHPian

Law of Conservation of Energy : Energy can neither be created or destroyed. It can only be converted from one form to another.

An alternator is simply a DC generator (or an AC generator with rectifiers). The load across the output windings change the load resistance and thus the load current. Higher the load, lower the resistance and higher the current flow.

When the alternator is working with no load or little load, the current across the output coil is very low and thus the field set up on the coil is very small. The rotor experiences very little physical resistance "cutting" through this field and the actual alternator shaft requires very little physical torque to keep running. As you add load, the resistant reduces and the field becomes stronger and stronger (provided the rotation of the rotor is kept up and the voltage induction never reduces) and the the rotor experiences more and more resistance as it's magnetic field interacts with the stator's magnetic field. Thus the rotor shaft requires more and more effort to turn as the load increases.

What happens when load on an engine increases? The ECU has to bump fueling to keep RPM constant. FE decreases.

Believe it or not, an alternator does not supply constant current. It is a constant voltage device. The load decides how much current it produces and thus how much torque it requires to produce that current and thus how much petrol the engine needs to produce that current and thus how much FE you lose, you guessed it, producing that current.

You are arguing against the fundamental laws of Physics prateek. Don't make me throw the book at you.

P.S : Some of the terminology and the exact way the fields interact may be wrong. It's been 5 years since I last touched EE. However, I will actually throw the actual derivations at you if you keep this up.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:12   #158
JRD
BHPian

LOL...
i have to share this, last week a good friend of mine commented "common you cannot rely on the jazz's safety, its fiber body after all"
Old 21st July 2010, 11:13   #159
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I think that comment hit a raw nerve, but I didn't read it as a generalization of IIT students, in fact far from it. Many of them have excellent "knowledge" and can think analytically.
I wish this was true. Having cracked the JEE in 1968 after Class XI with a high rank, I did not join (did my MSc from here - 1971-73) , and being here for the past 33 years I think I know a little.

JEE has become a game for the coaching fellows. I know in one case one (very successful) coaching chap was asked by a student - sir I do not understand .... His response was that you just follow what I tell you and get into an IIT. You can try and find out why when you are in an IIT!

After the first 500 or so ranks it becomes Russian Roulette, with a few hundred kids on the same marks. So Rank 1000 and rank 10,000 are often equally good. Just see 200,000+ aspirants, and very few marks between No.100 and No.10,000!
Old 21st July 2010, 11:44   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I don't know about other places but here in AP, older generation people's concept of horse power is this. 100 cc = 1 BHP. So RX100, CD100, KB100, AX100 are all 1 BHP bikes. Enfield Bullet 350 is 3.5 BHP bike. Maruti 800 is 8 BHP car.
I too have heard this in Orissa and AP, but with a slight difference---a Lamby was referred to as a 1.5 HP vehicle and an Ind Suzuki as a 1 HP vehicle----note it is not BHP but HP
Old 21st July 2010, 12:15   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I too have heard this in Orissa and AP, but with a slight difference---a Lamby was referred to as a 1.5 HP vehicle and an Ind Suzuki as a 1 HP vehicle----note it is not BHP but HP
Come on. You got to be kidding. Did you really hear this!?!?!?!
Old 21st July 2010, 12:36   #162
Senior - BHPian

I too have heard it during the seventies and eighties, but not later on! People used to equate 1000cc = 10 HP! The bullet was called a 3.5 horse power bike, the Yezdi was 2.5 HP, Lamby 1.5 HP and so on!
Old 21st July 2010, 15:35   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta
And Maruti are shamelessly using it in their latest ad.
Shameless or not, looks like this really works, because others have followed suit.

Yesterday's TOI has a Tata advt. with only FE as the focus - gist being Tata has the most FE cars in every segment (Nano, Vista, Indigo, Manza etc). What I found odd was Indigo (is this TDi?) is shown as being more FE than the smaller Vista (MJet).
Old 21st July 2010, 16:14   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
What I found odd was Indigo (is this TDi?) is shown as being more FE than the smaller Vista (MJet).
May be it is their recently launched Indigo e-CS (with CR4 engine).
Old 21st July 2010, 16:16   #165
Senior - BHPian

SupremeBaleno that was a Indigo CS i think. Yes, it has some 23.xx kmpl and Tata had cleverly(sic) compared it to Swift Dzire.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks