Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 14:00   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
There are people who buy an i20 sport and deck them up bringing the money the spent = the price of an i20 opt. with 6 airbags, and others who buy a swift Vxi (w/o ABS) and similarly deck it up and spend more than what they would've spent on a Zxi.
Well, that may be because they want good tyres and a good music system. The Zxi costs a bomb,and the tyres may be 185 profile but they still suck. So does the OEM music system.
Old 28th July 2010, 14:13   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Well, that may be because they want good tyres and a good music system. The Zxi costs a bomb,and the tyres may be 185 profile but they still suck. So does the OEM music system.
One can live with these or get them replaced if affordable. But Life and Limb can't come back once gone.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2010, 21:08   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
^^ Its like Poclain and JCBs in construction industry. Even after 50 years, most of the Construction industry workers call an excavator as a Poclain and a Back-hoe as a JCB, regardless of the actual make.
"There is a Hitachi Poclain working there" - where Hitachi is the manufacturer and Poclain is the known-name for an excavator!

+1 May I add the usage of the word 'xerox' used no matter what photo copier machine being used. In fact, most shops (india) use 'xerox' brand on sign boards to signify, they make photocopies.
Old 28th July 2010, 21:39   #319
Senior - BHPian

The Swift with a K-series engine is a "Kappa" engined swift.Someone said this to me once and i wonder how true it is.
Old 28th July 2010, 21:56   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Swift with a K-series engine is a "Kappa" engined swift.Someone said this to me once and i wonder how true it is.
even I remember reading it somewhere, is it not so?

my friend to me when I told him that I booked a swift: Swift? Abbey because of its rounded features it can topple on the road and roll, very unsafe car, you should have taken Wagon r.

when I said I cancelled the booking and informed him that I booked figo he says "any car is safer than Swift"!!!!

I still dont get his logic!!!

Last edited by anilisanil : 28th July 2010 at 21:59.
Old 28th July 2010, 23:31   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
even I remember reading it somewhere, is it not so?
Were you reminded by this post of mine, from the thread? : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/67938-comedy-errors-indian-dealerships-post1865798.html#post1865798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
I recently went with my father to The Hindu Lifestyle Exhitbhition. While taking a look at the i20 1.2,
My father - What's so spl. about the car, in comparision to the Dzire?
Salesman - Sir, this car is 'having' Kappa engine, the Swift and Dzire have K-series engine!!
Link:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1865798-post310.html

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 28th July 2010 at 23:32.
Old 29th July 2010, 05:09   #322

Diesel Maruti

We were driving around Ahmedabad with one of our relatives in 1996-8.
He saw my interests in CARs and wanted to strike a conersation with me.

Him: <With a teasing smile> Tune woh Mahindra ki Diesel Maruti Dekhi hai (Have you seen Mahindra's Diesel Maruti)
I am confused. Asking a question to myself, Did i go through the entire AutoIndia Magazine? Maruti does not have a diesel car rite? Was there a merger between Mahindra and Maruti? ...(I am lost with a dozen open questions). I decided to submit/give-up
Me: Nahi. Kaisi Dikhti (No. How does it Look)
Him: Arrey ek dum Maruti jaisi, par thodi Badi (Same as Maruti but bigger)
I am lost in taughts again, when god decided to show some mercy. A 'Diesel Maruti' came ahead of us from an intersection.
Him: Yeh dekhle Mahindra ki diesel maruti(see it).
I Saw and it was regayov(I typed inverse to avoid sharp eyes from catching it before time).
Old 29th July 2010, 06:19   #323
gvr
BHPian

This is not a comment from a Non-petrol head friend, but rather a BMW salesman. A few years back, I was looking at buying a 330i
Me: What is the car's Horsepower?
Salesman: 330i? 330 HP Sir. 325I? 325 HP.

I thought to myself, In which case, does the X5 have 5 times the HP?
Old 29th July 2010, 12:27   #324
BHPian

There is a show called Mad About Cars in which the anchor who knows least about cars but she rates and compares cars which even non petrol-heads find it funny

One such comment "Chevrolet Cruze has significant amount of turbo lag below 18000 rpm"
Old 29th July 2010, 13:45   #325
BHPian

Maruti still refers to the 800 in many smaller towns and villages, atleast in the North-Eastern part of the country, where I come from.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:01   #326
BHPian

One such experience:

I fool around on a Thunderbird. Seeing this, couple of my office guys decided to go in for a RE. Asked me to help them out. This is about one such guy.

I took him around the city looking for nice Bullets on sale. We saw some really nice 60-s and early 70-s rides. Told him to stay off the 80-s because of lots of issues and niggles. Anyways, most of these rides were up for sale between 20-30k. Finally he decided against it and bought a 84 Bullet from his hometown for 23k. He was overjoyed with the steal deal on a bone stock bike.
Got it down to Blr, took it to a mech to get the bike checked.
A autowallah pulls up, checks the ride and then asks the guy 'Sir, you must be getting excellent mileage.How much does the bike give?'

My friend casually replies : 30-35 ..

Autowallah : Oh! I thought you would be getting more with the Hero Honda Carbs

My friend :

I was like . I had noticed that earlier but didnt want to make him feel bad about his STOCK bike.

On a hindsight, it served him right. After all the weekends I wasted in looking for a decent ride for him in the city, he went and bought himself that contraption!

Another one:

This is a 15 year old story.
Our factory had 5 Ambys. Our favourite one was a MarkII (reg : WBC-1859).
We were out on a long drive when the car broke down and wouldnt start.
It seemed that something was wrong with the starter.
Now, I guess most of you would have seen 'Chalti Ke Naam Gaadi'. I really loved the idea of hand-cranking the cars, but didnt think it was possible in modern cars.
Anyways, after a few cranks, the driver gave up. Pulled out a rod from under his seat, walks up to the front of the car and puts it in the hole in the front bumper. Turns it a few times and lo- the car starts. (ran out of smileys). I was soo overjoyed to see that my car still had those nice styled cranking process.

Last edited by aqualeo2040 : 29th July 2010 at 15:08.
Old 29th July 2010, 16:38   #327
BHPian

Once I was travelling in taxi wagon R, I was scared of his driving, as he goes on crossing yellow lines on road and overtaking at turns. I just told him the yellow lines are not supposed to be crossed, as it is very dangerous. His reply really shocked me, as he replied:
“We (taxi drivers) don’t take care of lines drawn on roads as we have to go very fast in case we are carrying people who met with accidents or emergency and lines are meant for private cars“

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th July 2010 at 02:46. Reason: removed color tag, please avoid copy pasting from external editors like MS word etc, thanks
Old 29th July 2010, 17:58   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaga View Post
This weekend drink is going to be a blast courtesy this thread. Here is my contribution, few year back I was traveling with my friend in his CAR at around 11 PM. He seems to be enjoying the drive on the middle of the road. I ask him, why do not you drive in one of the lane may be left or right? For a minute he stare me (as if I had done some crime) and then broke his silent and saying that “you know the purpose of this white line is to guide the driver in night and help him/her to keep the CAR on the central of line” Haaa I was speech less after hearing this from him. After coming out of shock, i tried to explain but he was very sure of his knowledge
I know a similar guy. The logic he gave was impeccable "Just like the white line on a runway is to align the nose wheel of the airplane, the white line on the road is to align your car to the road"
Old 29th July 2010, 20:05   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know a similar guy. The logic he gave was impeccable "Just like the white line on a runway is to align the nose wheel of the airplane, the white line on the road is to align your car to the road"
ooh!! They have just painted kerb marking lines on the highway I use daily, so now I can test my AT tires for both On road and Off road performance simultaneously and compare

OT
Tanveer, don't tell me that guy is a pilot driving a car.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 29th July 2010 at 20:07.
Old 30th July 2010, 01:53   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In normal situation, thats stupidity. But on the contrary the white lines has helped me drive in the foggy weather during night times in the ghat regions of kerala where visibility can be very less(less than 5-10 feet). No fog lamps helps fully. Only way is to stop the vehicle on the side of the road or go slow at 15-20kms/hour and climb the hill sticking to center white line or side lines of the road as it get reflected more else it can end up in disaster. Even an experienced driver cannot make out steep curves sometimes in such extreme weather conditions. Those who have driven through kottayam-Kumily NH220 at Kuttikkanam area(Kerala) during night in knows this exactly.

Most Viewed