Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:46   #376
BHPian

Quote:
When fuel is partially burned, you see black smoke. When oil is being burnt, you see white smoke. If you see white smoke, you're in deep doodoo.
Doesnt white smoke in a car indicate steam? Oil burning usually gives a Blueish smoke.
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:52   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetaj View Post
2. When I put on my car's hazard lights as soon as I anticipate hard braking, everybody in the car looks surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I think this is not really required. Hazard lights are required when your vehicle breaks down in the middle of the road. To alert people that you are not moving. It is also used when you're moving extremely slowly on a highway to alert people that you have a problem.

When you brake hard, your tail lamps and the 'high mount stop lamp' do their job. When you brake hard, there is a fraction of a second for the one behind to realize it.
It is always good to do so. I have done quite a bit of driving in European highways and it was then I realized that all drivers turn on their hazard lights when they know that they have to stop abruptly, due to an unexpected traffic jam or something - in fact , all cars will have their hazard lights blinking before the cars come to a stop. This is very helpful in their highways where you'll be doing speeds like 180-200 Kmph even in a normal passenger car - when you see cars in front of you turn on their hazard lights, you know you have to stop. Now don't say we don't require it here because we can't go that fast. It will be like saying ABS is not required in city driving

I have taken that habit and I always turn on hazard lights as soon as I know I have to stop all of a sudden / break hard.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd August 2010 at 21:00.
Old 2nd August 2010, 22:43   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avkurian View Post
There is no alternative to activating your hazard lights when you are faced with a sudden braking situation. 'Hazard' lights are meant to be used at any hazard, and not just when the vehicle breaks-down.

The only flip-side is the logistics of actually taking a hand off the steering wheel to activate the hazard lights. This can be quite tricky considering you're already in - or headed to - a sticky situation, especially if the hazard switch is on the steering column.

With regard to the brake lights, whether in cluster or high-mounted, there is no indication of urgency. Whether a light tap on the pedal or a full-on brake-slam, the lights have the same intensity, and does not convey a message to motorists behind.

An interesting invention will be flexible-brightness brake-lights to light-up brightest only when the brake is really slammed. Guess this minor adjustment is not a priority for manufacturers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
It is always good to do so. I have done quite a bit of driving in European highways and it was then I realized that all drivers turn on their hazard lights when they know that they have to stop abruptly, due to an unexpected traffic jam or something - in fact , all cars will have their hazard lights blinking before the cars come to a stop. This is very helpful in their highways where you'll be doing speeds like 180-200 Kmph even in a normal passenger car - when you see cars in front of you turn on their hazard lights, you know you have to stop. Now don't say we don't require it here because we can't go that fast. It will be like saying ABS is not required in city driving

I have taken that habit and I always turn on hazard lights as soon as I know I have to stop all of a sudden / break hard.
Probably I missed something here. Abruptly halting is one thing and hard braking because the one infront of you stood on his brakes is another thing. If its the latter case, do you guys have the time to turn on the hazard lights within a fraction of a second (in the time the vehicle comes to a halt)? IMO, during that time, its not wise to take your hands off the steering or eyes off the road to cause more distraction. Also, if you know whats happening around you on the road, you know that vehicles in front of you are stopping. Need not wait for the one in front of you to realize that vehicles are stopping. They call it "scanning" in the U.S. People are denied a driving license in California if their scanning is poor or if you have "tunnel vision".
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:04   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Probably I missed something here. Abruptly halting is one thing and hard braking because the one infront of you stood on his brakes is another thing. If its the latter case, do you guys have the time to turn on the hazard lights within a fraction of a second (in the time the vehicle comes to a halt)? IMO, during that time, its not wise to take your hands off the steering or eyes off the road to cause more distraction. Also, if you know whats happening around you on the road, you know that vehicles in front of you are stopping. Need not wait for the one in front of you to realize that vehicles are stopping. They call it "scanning" in the U.S. People are denied a driving license in California if their scanning is poor or if you have "tunnel vision".
As pointed out by someone earlier, hazard lights are for indicating 'hazard'. Come any situation, I'd turn on the hazard lights if it is required to do so and if there's enough time to act accordingly. If the situation is totally unpredictable, we can't operate the hazard light - the decision doesn't involve much complex thinking anyway - it's more impulsive. That's it, I don't think we need to go further OT here.
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:22   #380
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
Doesnt white smoke in a car indicate steam? Oil burning usually gives a Blueish smoke.
Yes, when diesel Jeep gives out white smoke, blown head gasket can be one of the reasons. That is when steam from coolant is leaking into the engine.

Right now my Jeep has the exact condition.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd August 2010 at 23:23.
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:00   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
As pointed out by someone earlier, hazard lights are for indicating 'hazard'. Come any situation, I'd turn on the hazard lights if it is required to do so and if there's enough time to act accordingly. If the situation is totally unpredictable, we can't operate the hazard light - the decision doesn't involve much complex thinking anyway - it's more impulsive. That's it, I don't think we need to go further OT here.
I guess Figo already has this feature where it detects sudden braking after 100kmph, it flashes the hazard lights a few times warning the driver behind, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:13   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
Black smoke usually shows up when the fuel does not burn properly and this means the vehicle might be running on rich fuel. I had this issue in my car due to a defective O2 sensor. AFAIK white smoke means steam and a blue one shows up a high mileage engine which is due for overhaul.
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:57   #383
Senior - BHPian

When I accelerate my car suddenly, I observe a whiff of black smoke coming out of the exhaust (yes, I can see it in my IRVM). I thought it was the diesel particulate that the catalytic converter failed to filter because of the sudden rush. I have seen it in other diesel cars as well, but never in a petrol car.
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:14   #384
BHPian

On the topic of hazard lights, the most quirky and irritating logic is using the hazard lights instead of turning on the head and tail lights in heavy rains.
I see this everyday on the eastern express highway in Mumbai.

I mean i am not blind to not see a red tail light. Its enough to prove the the cars existence in the rain.
Time we have road signs which say use hazard lights only when u want to stop and not driving in rain.

Its really really stupid to drive at 80+ speeds with your hard lights blinking.
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:18   #385
BHPian

one of the most repetitive comment heard from non petrolheads when they leave their bike for servicing (typically when first few services at ASC's)
"Boss, oil change karna aur setting aisa karo ke gear smooth girna mangta hai"

I'm just not able to guess, what mechanism if serviced will give better gear shifting. that too most of the bikes have same oil for engine and gear box.
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:35   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking about hazard lights, one of my neighbor thinks that they are used in a junction to go straight ahead. He says, no left, no right, so both lights are blinking to avoid confusion.

He is so confident regarding this, which makes me doubt if I'm stupid or him?.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:07   #387
Senior - BHPian

Many people think hazard lights can be used to indicate going straight. I dont understand why you should indicate when you are going straight anyway!! Going by that logic, the hazard light should be always be on when driving except when turning.

Most people do not use the left indicator while turning left, thus necessitating some indication when they are going straight and not turning left. Stupid logics by stupid morons in my opinion.
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:13   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
On the topic of hazard lights, the most quirky and irritating logic is using the hazard lights instead of turning on the head and tail lights in heavy rains.
I see this everyday on the eastern express highway in Mumbai.

I mean i am not blind to not see a red tail light. Its enough to prove the the cars existence in the rain.
Time we have road signs which say use hazard lights only when u want to stop and not driving in rain.

Its really really stupid to drive at 80+ speeds with your hard lights blinking.
I agree!
Almost rear ended a cabbie that had broken down on the right most lane on the WE highway after the sealink gets over as I thought he was moving.
As a rule, I switch on my parking lights (not hazard lights, there is a difference) in low rain, coupled with front and rear fogs if it starts raining heavily.
And then, I have to sit and explain to others why it is better than putting on the hazard lights. However, my driver's have understood so hopefully they will not be doing the same.
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:14   #389
Senior - BHPian

Talking more about hazard lights, I remember watching an episode of The Car & Bike Show where Siddarth Vinayak Pathankar advised that motorists should keep their hazard lights on when there is heavy rain or fog. Can we call it a "funny comment"? I would :-D
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:21   #390
BHPian

Just came across in a Classifieds section:

FORD FIAGO DIESEL - DISCUSSION SECTION

Dear Friends,
Please share your opinons for "FORD FIAGO DIESEL CAR ".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks