Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2010, 17:29   #451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
No, it is not! This was recommended by the service people of two different MASS after I complained of occassional difficulty in engaging / jerky engagement of reverse gear. I was told to engage first gear briefly, disengage and then shift to reverse for smooth operation. And surprisingly, it works. I understand it has to do something with all gears except reverse being synchronized. They recommended this step for all Maruti cars.
First is always easier to engage at the beginning of the day. This will splash the oil around in the gearbox when you move forward a bit thus making it easier to engage reverse. Mostly applies to older cars only I think as my cars engage reverse straight away without a whisper. It's not blind superstition as someone said earlier.
Old 26th August 2010, 07:29   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
First is always easier to engage at the beginning of the day. This will splash the oil around in the gearbox when you move forward a bit thus making it easier to engage reverse. Mostly applies to older cars only I think as my cars engage reverse straight away without a whisper. It's not blind superstition as someone said earlier.
This means the forward-reverse combo is applicable only when the reverse gear refuses to engage, not due to LUBRICATION or FUEL EFFICIENCY as my friend claims :-)
Old 26th August 2010, 10:18   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
This means the forward-reverse combo is applicable only when the reverse gear refuses to engage, not due to LUBRICATION or FUEL EFFICIENCY as my friend claims :-)
The recommendation was to follow this procedure whenever one engages reverse after a prolonged stop, and to avoid engaging reverse straightaway.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:29   #454
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I had a funny conversation with a colleague who owns a Dzire ZDI.

Me - Did you check out the Vento? Looks good.
He - Its a Polo with a boot man!

Me - Ofcourse, just like your Swift with the boot. But better integrated (with a smile)
He(offended) - So Dzire is not better integrated? Look at the sales chart...People buy it like crazy

Me(Annoyed) - What's sales got to do with it? People have their own buying habbits but the fact is Linea and Vento are much better looking than a Dzire though all the three are extensions of hatches
He(Angry) - How much is Linea selling? And that Vento looks like....huh...huh....FORD IKON

Me(shocked) - Baap re! Are you serious? See you later

Yes, that was the state of my mind when the conversation ended. Shocked. He had absolutely no idea what he was talking. At hindsight, when I thought about it this morning, had a big laugh

No offense to Dzire owners. He compared Vento and Ford Ikon in terms of looks. Thats what had me rolling :-)
Old 26th August 2010, 10:58   #455
BHPian

Lubrication issue

Quote:
The recommendation was to follow this procedure whenever one engages reverse after a prolonged stop, and to avoid engaging reverse straightaway.

This is a common known problem of the Maruti 5-speed gearbox. All service guys suggest having first engaged and then the reverse gear. Someone told me this is because of inadequate lubrication for the reverse gear as the lubrication vent for the same is small and usually gets blocked to some extent.

The same solution applies for all vehicles. I have seen the same done on a nissan sunny also.
Old 27th August 2010, 17:40   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
This is a common known problem of the Maruti 5-speed gearbox. All service guys suggest having first engaged and then the reverse gear.
I have never faced this problem in my 2006 Swift. Total makkhan the reverse is. This used to be a common problem with our family "Fiat" back in the 80s and early 90s- the solution was that you engage reverse after first putting it into first (my Dad used to get in the car in the morning and engage first, second third, fourth with the clutch on and THEN engage reverse and move out of the parking

Maybe it's just a case of the reverse not engaging properly because the clutch isn't fully depressed or an inexperienced driver is not familiar with the throws required for each gear? Last weekend on the expressway, there was a learner in front of me in the fast lane doing 40. So I gently tooted and she promptly tried to speed up but went from (ostensibly) third to reverse (her reverse lights came on, the car jerked a little and her Dad in the passenger seat jumped up in alarm and started issuing directions!) Luckily it didn't engage fully or God knows what would have happened!
Old 27th August 2010, 19:07   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
So I gently tooted and she promptly tried to speed up but went from (ostensibly) third to reverse (her reverse lights came on, the car jerked. Luckily it didn't engage fully or God knows what would have happened!
Its in situations like this we need a reverse gear mechanism like the Opel Astra or the Sumo/Sierra. Really helpful.
Old 27th August 2010, 20:15   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Yesterday, I had a funny conversation with a colleague who owns a Dzire ZDI.

Me - Did you check out the Vento? Looks good.
He - Its a Polo with a boot man!

Me - Ofcourse, just like your Swift with the boot. But better integrated (with a smile)
He(offended) - So Dzire is not better integrated? Look at the sales chart...People buy it like crazy

Me(Annoyed) - What's sales got to do with it? People have their own buying habbits but the fact is Linea and Vento are much better looking than a Dzire though all the three are extensions of hatches
He(Angry) - How much is Linea selling? And that Vento looks like....huh...huh....FORD IKON

Me(shocked) - Baap re! Are you serious? See you later

Yes, that was the state of my mind when the conversation ended. Shocked. He had absolutely no idea what he was talking. At hindsight, when I thought about it this morning, had a big laugh

No offense to Dzire owners. He compared Vento and Ford Ikon in terms of looks. Thats what had me rolling :-)
Dude, chill! Nobody will like anyone criticizing their choice after they have spent their life savings on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Oh God!!
Just imagining the scene had me in tears!!
"schewarlat!!schewarlat!!!!"
OMG, Reliving this a incident a second time brought tears in my eyes too!

The look on that hapless Optra owner face: Priceless!!!
Old 28th August 2010, 18:55   #459
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Dude, chill! Nobody will like anyone criticizing their choice after they have spent their life savings on it.
Eh??? Am not sure you understood what I was trying to say. Its not about criticizing anyone's ride.

This fellow compared VENTO with IKON. This according to me is a quirky, funny and senseless comment. The conversation started with the Dzire but eventually drifted away when all he was talking was making no sense.

Hope this clears the confusion

Last edited by JVH : 28th August 2010 at 19:09.
Old 28th August 2010, 21:43   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Quote:
Even I was advised to do the same by MASS guys when I had complained about this issue in my Alto. It happens rarely but whenever it does this is the best way around it.
Old 28th August 2010, 22:24   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Even I was advised to do the same by MASS guys when I had complained about this issue in my Alto. It happens rarely but whenever it does this is the best way around it.
And I thought that it was just a weird practice that people follow. Once a friend who does this told me that everyone in his family does it because "Life mein hamesha pehle aage jaana chahiye" (You should always move forward in life.)
Old 28th August 2010, 23:07   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
And I thought that it was just a weird practice that people follow. Once a friend who does this told me that everyone in his family does it because "Life mein hamesha pehle aage jaana chahiye" (You should always move forward in life.)
Many people I know have similar reasoning to this move first before reversing thing!

I always thought it was superstition - never new you there was a mechanical aspect to it
Old 29th August 2010, 00:23   #463
BHPian

My mom while browsing ACI:

Doesnt the Linea look just like the Dzire???
Doesnt vento look just like Honda city???
Old 29th August 2010, 11:12   #464
BHPian

Heres one funny one - One of my friends asked me "Ford Figo, is made by Maruti right ..I saw an ad ysterday ?.." - my friend isn't too much into cars but I had a hearty laugh rofl !!..
Old 29th August 2010, 13:52   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Many people I know have similar reasoning to this move first before reversing thing!

I always thought it was superstition - never new you there was a mechanical aspect to it
It is as I mentioned earlier. Go ask any of the Bus Drivers atleast. I once spoke to a KarSRTC driver and he did confirm that.

Most Viewed