Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 10:43   #496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That applies to a downward slope. But when you park on an upward slope, the front tyres should be turned away from the curb.

The logic perhaps means that if the car moves unintentionally (rare case of gear slipping to neutral, faulty handbrake, etc), it will be restricted by the curb.
well most of our hill roads have no curb just mountain on one side and gorge on another.
Pardon my ignorance but IMHO on an uphill slope if I turn tyes towards the hill then in case of slide the tail of car will move towards curb / wall / hill and stop. Whereas if I turn the tyres away from it will slide towards the road and if there is a hill road without any protective wall ( as most of our mountain roads are ) car will fall in the valley..
It road is wide then sliding car may take U turn as go downhill as well

Last edited by amitk26 : 31st August 2010 at 10:46.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:49   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Pardon my ignorance but IMHO on an uphill slope if I turn tyes towards the curb then in case of slide the tail of car will move towards curb / wall / hill and stop. Whereas if I turn the tyres away from curb it will slide towards the road and if there is a hill road without any protective wall ( as most of our mountain roads are ) car will fall in George.
The scene I was describing was parking on a slope on a road with a curb/ pavement.

On an uphill slope, if you turn the wheels away from the curb, the front tyres of the car will slide towards the curb and stop the car on contact (just like the tail would hit the curb if the wheels are towards the slope). Please keep in mind that the car will slide backwards in both cases.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:51   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
well most of our hill roads have no curb just mountain on one side and gorge on another.
Pardon my ignorance but IMHO on an uphill slope if I turn tyes towards the hill then in case of slide the tail of car will move towards curb / wall / hill and stop. Whereas if I turn the tyres away from it will slide towards the road and if there is a hill road without any protective wall ( as most of our mountain roads are ) car will fall in the valley..
The guideline applies to street parking. As a general rule you would be well advised to avoid parking on a slope with an unprotected hill on the side. The correct procedure would be to drive on till you find a stretch that is wide enough/ has a protective barrier where you can park without endangering yourself or your fellow drivers.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:52   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Relax people, this thread is not about heated technical discussions. - Support team
Enough of Technical discussions guys!

Let's go back to the thread topic and hear some Funny comments.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:57   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The guideline applies to street parking. As a general rule you would be well advised to avoid parking on a slope with an unprotected hill on the side. The correct procedure would be to drive on till you find a stretch that is wide enough/ has a protective barrier where you can park without endangering yourself or your fellow drivers.
Well I would say this is simply impracticable in overcrowded Indian hill stations like ooty,connoor, Munnar or Kodai full of yellow board vehicles driven by maniacs, Instead of trying to find a wide streach find a place where you can get 4 big stones away from any sharp bend.

Best method is park towards the mountain side with tyre turned towards the hill. Apply break and 1st gear ( if parking uphill) and then place stones behind tyres to obstruct the slide.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:05   #501
Senior - BHPian

Coming back to the topic , Once I went to a famous auto accessory shop in Koramangla. One guy was getting his art-leather seat covers done and he ( the customer) explained to me about various qualities of art-leather and semi-leather on how it can be 50% , 60% or 100% pure leather.
He took a sheet of the materiel in his hand and by touch and feel tried to judge it like a very seasoned professional on how much percentage of leather is there in it.
The shop owner was amused just like me and commented it is not a fabric where synthetic fiber and cotton can be mixed.

Last edited by amitk26 : 31st August 2010 at 11:07.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:17   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Coming back to the topic , Once I went to a famous auto accessory shop in Koramangla. One guy was getting his art-leather seat covers done and he ( the customer) explained to me about various qualities of art-leather and semi-leather on how it can be 50% , 60% or 100% pure leather.
He took a sheet of the materiel in his hand and by touch and feel tried to judge it like a very seasoned professional on how much percentage of leather is there in it.
The shop owner was amused just like me and commented it is not a fabric where synthetic fiber and cotton can be mixed.
Gotcha!!
in fact, "bonded leather" can be as low as 15% leather mixed with PU/cotton/poly fibres.much much cheaper,looks similar too(longevity is questionable though, in comparison to 100%)
but thats basically reconstituted leather.
dont know if art-leather means the same(is art short for artificial?)
Old 31st August 2010, 11:32   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Gotcha!!
in fact, "bonded leather" can be as low as 15% leather mixed with PU/cotton/poly fibres.much much cheaper,looks similar too(longevity is questionable though, in comparison to 100%)
Even I was wondering - the other day while buying a belt, the shop keeper said he has both pure leather and 'leather-mix'. But he didnt have an answer when I asked him how he mixes leather with something else, does leather also come in powder form?? I thought he was trying to fool me.
Sorry for the OT, though.
Old 31st August 2010, 12:01   #504
Senior - BHPian

Art leather is simply artificial leather. It is used mainly for car seat covers.

This is what I understood long back when my brother was in the leather field:

When the hide of the animal (cow,typically) is removed, the top few centimetres is separated from the rest and this is the pure,first quality leather which is cured, tanned and used. Articles made from this are very expensive, and there are more expensive varieties even within this - kid leather, for example. Articles made from leather will be very durable and will retain their finish for the entire life as well.

The bottom half is called "split" and was discarded in the olden days. Now that leather has become so expensive, technology was developed to cure and use this portion too. Since it comes from the same hide, it looks and feels almost same as leather, but is inferior. Cheaper leather goods are generally made from this - typical items are belts, wallets and even shoes. Experts can tell the difference at a glance, but for us a closer comparison with genuine leather will reveal the truth. The grains will be absent when compared to leather, the finish will not be so great. Importantly, you get them soaked once and you are done for, generally. But all cheaper products need not be made of split - they can be made of scrap leather too, in which case they can be good. Typical items are belts.

Last edited by Gansan : 31st August 2010 at 12:05.
Old 31st August 2010, 14:13   #505
Senior - BHPian

this has nothign to do with being a petrol head or not..

I find this logic very funny. There are many of my friends who want to buy a diesel car because they think a diesel car is cheaper than the petrol one.

While i try to explain to them that on a small car a diesel does not make much sense because of the following.
- the mileage difference is not HUGE, i.e a diesel gives almost the same average as the petrol. While in a big car the difference is huge (viz a laura over an accord)
- one pays almost a lac more as compared to the petrol version
- one thing that almost everyone forgets to calculate is that if you buy your car on loan, you are pay more interest because of that extra lac.

Also as is the case with small cars, one tends to sell them off in around 3 years, and in 3 years to make up that 'lac' difference via the petrol - diesel difference is pretty difficult, unless you are doing more than 60 KM a day.

I try to explain this to my buddies but they still say that a diesel is cheaper.

So I rest my case with them.

cheers,
ac
Old 31st August 2010, 14:35   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Gotcha!!
Art means artificial ,
I don't know about bonded leather but after this I asked one of the acquaintances who is exporting shoes to middle east and his answer was similar to what gansan said.
Old 31st August 2010, 14:36   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
- the mileage difference is not HUGE, i.e a diesel gives almost the same average as the petrol. While in a big car the difference is huge (viz a laura over an accord)
I don't think so.
For example, The diesel 1.3l, 75hp national engine's FE is 17-18kmpl.
If you take Petrol, 1.3l engine will give a max of 12-13kmpl which is almost 30% lesser.

Maybe you have a different scale for 'HUGE'.
Old 31st August 2010, 14:46   #508
Senior - BHPian

Diesel cars would also have better resale value.

The extra investment made during purchase would be recovered at the time of selling the car, along with the benefit of better mileage and cheaper fuel. (Double benefit)

I would say if someone can afford it, he should buy a diesel variant even without thinking whether his usage is more than 1K km PM.

Rohan
Old 31st August 2010, 15:05   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, here is what a guy in office commented after a joy ride in my Tucson:

"Hey Anand, I don't understand one thing - why do they give such a small gear lever in such high end vehicles??? How much money do they really dave by doing this???? "

Old 31st August 2010, 15:32   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Art leather is simply artificial leather. It is used mainly for car seat covers.

This is what I understood long back when my brother was in the leather field:

When the hide of the animal (cow,typically) is removed, the top few centimetres is separated from the rest and this is the pure,first quality leather which is cured, tanned and used. Articles made from this are very expensive, and there are more expensive varieties even within this - kid leather, for example. Articles made from leather will be very durable and will retain their finish for the entire life as well.

The bottom half is called "split" and was discarded in the olden days. Now that leather has become so expensive, technology was developed to cure and use this portion too. Since it comes from the same hide, it looks and feels almost same as leather, but is inferior. Cheaper leather goods are generally made from this - typical items are belts, wallets and even shoes. Experts can tell the difference at a glance, but for us a closer comparison with genuine leather will reveal the truth. The grains will be absent when compared to leather, the finish will not be so great. Importantly, you get them soaked once and you are done for, generally. But all cheaper products need not be made of split - they can be made of scrap leather too, in which case they can be good. Typical items are belts.

am no expert on leather, but am pretty confident the hide of a cow is less than 1 cm thickness (maybe even less than .5 cm).

Most Viewed