Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 15:37   #511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This is what I understood long back when my brother was in the leather field:
Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post

am no expert on leather, but am pretty confident the hide of a cow is less than 1 cm thickness (maybe even less than .5 cm).
Well, I am no expert either. But that was the gist of what was explained to me, as I understood it!
Old 31st August 2010, 15:38   #512
Senior - BHPian

I think it is better we do not speak much about leather here. Else some leather expert may post all our posts in their forum titled Quirky logic and funny comments from non-leather experts

All the same, my doubt regarding mixing of leather with non-leather materials still remain

Last edited by mallumowgli : 31st August 2010 at 15:40.
Old 31st August 2010, 15:40   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

I know JC's comments should be taken with a pinch of salt, but i remember during the new phantom's review, he had mentioned that RR only uses leather from countries that have "no barbed wire"....how this relates to the thread is just so that i do not become a subject in here for using that nugget!!sounds far fetched as his comments and analogies go,but also seems like something RR "could" be a stickler for.PS:like the journo who asked his TD vehicle's bonnet to be opened on a public road, but was denied.
Old 31st August 2010, 15:53   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
All the same, my doubt regarding mixing of leather with non-leather materials still remain
AFAIK this is not possible. Leather is not some kind of fabric (read yarn) to be mixed / interwoven with some other fabric.
Old 31st August 2010, 16:10   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post

am no expert on leather, but am pretty confident the hide of a cow is less than 1 cm thickness (maybe even less than .5 cm).
You are right, it is typically between 0.7 to 1.3 mm.

Regards

GG
Old 31st August 2010, 16:31   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
I think it is better we do not speak much about leather here. Else some leather expert may post all our posts in their forum titled Quirky logic and funny comments from non-leather experts

Extremely well said.

And regarding the mixing of leather, it is not possible, but what that terminology means, is that, the inferior quality leather - 'split', as Gansan mentioned, is coated with rubber or some chemical composites of same nature, from one side, to form a thick durable sheet with a leather finish on one face. The same can be done by sandwiching the rubber by leather from both sides, to give leather finish to both sides of the sheet. This kind of material is used to make belts and i guess this has been referred to as mixed leater by the vendor.
Old 31st August 2010, 17:36   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar iswalkar View Post
3) "irridium plugs? you should put the ones shown on stunt mania"
They used standard bosch ones.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:06   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
this has nothign to do with being a petrol head or not..

I find this logic very funny. There are many of my friends who want to buy a diesel car because they think a diesel car is cheaper than the petrol one.

While i try to explain to them that on a small car a diesel does not make much sense because of the following.
- the mileage difference is not HUGE, i.e a diesel gives almost the same average as the petrol. While in a big car the difference is huge (viz a laura over an accord)
- one pays almost a lac more as compared to the petrol version
- one thing that almost everyone forgets to calculate is that if you buy your car on loan, you are pay more interest because of that extra lac.

Also as is the case with small cars, one tends to sell them off in around 3 years, and in 3 years to make up that 'lac' difference via the petrol - diesel difference is pretty difficult, unless you are doing more than 60 KM a day.

I try to explain this to my buddies but they still say that a diesel is cheaper.

So I rest my case with them.

cheers,
ac
+ 1 to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
I don't think so.
For example, The diesel 1.3l, 75hp national engine's FE is 17-18kmpl.
If you take Petrol, 1.3l engine will give a max of 12-13kmpl which is almost 30% lesser.

Maybe you have a different scale for 'HUGE'.
Well you are right on the mileage that the difference is 30% but again comparing the MJD and the old 1.3 Esteem Engine is not correct as both are different generation engines.But if you compare the MJD with the K -Series, the mileage figures are in the same band.

Also please note that with a daily running of 30 Kms and with the price of petrol @ 56 and Diesel @ 41 one needs about 6.25 Years to recoup the extra investment of 1 Lakh. On this I haven't even added the higher maintenance cost of diesels viz-a-viz petrol.

So unless you are driving about 60 Kms ( Recoup in 3.13 Years) or above, there is no point in buying a diesel hatchback.
Old 1st September 2010, 13:47   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
+ 1 to that

Also please note that with a daily running of 30 Kms and with the price of petrol @ 56 and Diesel @ 41 one needs about 6.25 Years to recoup the extra investment of 1 Lakh. On this I haven't even added the higher maintenance cost of diesels viz-a-viz petrol.

So unless you are driving about 60 Kms ( Recoup in 3.13 Years) or above, there is no point in buying a diesel hatchback.
That might be true with the K-series, as far as Punto is considered the price difference (Emo Pack 1.4L P vs 1.3MJD FGT) is maybe less than 55K only; the ex-showroom difference in price is Rs.45,935 in Trivandrum.

The mileage?: 13.8 kmpl vs 19.9 kmpl respectively. This means a fuel expense of Rs. 4.05 vs Rs. 2.06. If you use the ex-showroom price as a yardstick, you recoup that difference in roughly over 2.5 years @ 30 km / day. I am leaving out additional cost for insurance etc. but I am also not considering the factors like resale value and price hikes of petrol.
Old 1st September 2010, 14:12   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
That might be true with the K-series, as far as Punto is considered the price difference (Emo Pack 1.4L P vs 1.3MJD FGT) is maybe less than 55K only; the ex-showroom difference in price is Rs.45,935 in Trivandrum.

The mileage?: 13.8 kmpl vs 19.9 kmpl respectively. This means a fuel expense of Rs. 4.05 vs Rs. 2.06. If you use the ex-showroom price as a yardstick, you recoup that difference in roughly over 2.5 years @ 30 km / day. I am leaving out additional cost for insurance etc. but I am also not considering the factors like resale value and price hikes of petrol.
Even if you consider the hike in fuel prices, please note that the difference in Diesel and Petrol prices will get reduced to bring in parity over the next two years.

But I still feel unless your monthly running is not over 1000 Kms, diesel is not for you.
Old 1st September 2010, 17:15   #521
BHPian

Heard this from my BIL's friend. Filling Nitrogen in all tyres and driving over 300 kms gave 2Kmpl better mileage compared to the same drive with normal air filled in the tyres. I just let it go as the person said it with a lot of conviction and I didn't have the time to correct his misconception.
Old 1st September 2010, 17:33   #522
LNK
BHPian

AAA (looking at his Omni): High speed stability is very bad.
Me: High speed in Omni? Hmmm.
AAA: Yeah, anything over 50-60 and it vibrates a lot.
Me:
AAA: Yeah, I think I should go for one of those "rare spoilers". Any brand suggestion?
Me: Nope.

LNK
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:01   #523
BHPian

Today me and fellow bhpian YC.Baleno went to a mechanic to get my bikes speedo fixed, (was showing 190-150kmph speeds )

Two guys come on a Ct100 with a HUGE rope, and ask my mechanic to roll it around the leg gaurd,and they seemed quite proud about it. When my mechanic told me that the electronics in the digital speedometer are messed up and the wires are all fine, and i should take it to company service station, the guy with the huge rope says" Bhai ye speedometer mein koi problem nahi hai timing belt kharab hai in mechanics ko kuch nahi pata" !

there is nothing wrong with the speedometer timing belt is faulty.

Old 3rd September 2010, 08:53   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Today me and fellow bhpian YC.Baleno went to a mechanic to get my bikes speedo fixed, (was showing 190-150kmph speeds )
Man that was some superbike!!

My Dad's comments on Airbags- Those are gizmos you will never get to use

Well, I only hope what he says is true - that I never confront a situation where it is needed but..
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:43   #525
Senior - BHPian

Thsi might not be within the forum rules - but some bright guy commented in a rediff article:

'As the automatic cars come without manual gear & clutch, it should be costing atleast 10-15% less than the manual ones, why is it costing more. So no wonder nobody prefers because of the price.'
The best automatic hatchback cars in India : Rediff.com Business

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks