Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2010, 09:42   #526

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
This is a common known problem of the Maruti 5-speed gearbox. All service guys suggest having first engaged and then the reverse gear. Someone told me this is because of inadequate lubrication for the reverse gear as the lubrication vent for the same is small and usually gets blocked to some extent.

The same solution applies for all vehicles. I have seen the same done on a nissan sunny also.
Umm it would work as fine if you just press and release the clutch once. The logic is that the reverse gear is a spur gear and the teeth sometimes get stuck with the idler when they come face to face and cant engage. Engaging first gear (or for that matter pressing and releasing the clutch once) turns the gears a bit and the block is removed. (A chance that they reach blocked position is again there, in whic case you release teh clutch once again)

Talking of quirky comments, for someone who's worked in automobile design, "petrolhead" is a little bit of an irritating noun. A lot of times the so called "petrolheads" make statements very confidently which are "mostly true,borne out by observation" but the logic is wrong. Lots of examples abound in this thread...its funnier than the illogical remarks by "non-petrolheads"

By the way..for some petrolheads, with maruti cars, you can check the biting point of the clutch, and if it is disengaging fully by moving the gear lever slowly towards reverse (without pressing clutch pedal) until you hear a whirring sound.(This is the sound of the idler spur gear engaged with the shaft, but not yet engaged with the reverse gear). Now press the clutch slowly, and the point the sound disappars is when your clutch has disengaged the engine. Release clutch slowly and the sound appears when the clutch engages again. By the way, before people go up in arms, this wouldnt harm the engine or gearbox or clutch.
eternalmonotony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2010, 19:46   #527
BHPian

XX- Sigh, i should have bought Alto before launch of k10(yes he didn't knew that both alto co-exists).
ME- Why so? New one is better.
XX- What better? Now i have to pay 30-40k extra just for new 'fancy' sets of head n tail lights which don't even deserves few thousands!
ME- Almost fainted.
Old 5th September 2010, 22:18   #528
Distinguished - BHPian

not entirely logic,but something from m tv stunt mania...drink-spewing-from-nose funny!!

this girl was asked which automotive brands did tata recently take over?
"ans:eh......nano?
no,no, maruti??"

sorry,may be off topic, but had to be shared.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:07   #529
BHPian

Heard this joke a few years back (sorry if its a repeat)

Two guys talking about rising fuel prices.

A-Prices are going up like anything
B-It doesnt affect me at all.
A-Why?
B-I used to fill petrol of 200 Rs in my bike, and will continue to do so even after the hike! So why bother?
A-
Old 6th September 2010, 13:02   #530
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2010 at 10:41.
ch.nathan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th September 2010, 19:37   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

- Last day, I had a chance to testdrive the Figo. I asked the sales person details of the AC compressor. In a desperate attempt to please me, the sales person mentioned that the Figo's AC is better than a 1 ton home AC and will cool in exactly 4 seconds (irrespective of climatic condition). He was also going on and on about very some irrelevant facts. He was too much ignorant to be able to sell the car.

At this rate, I guess Ford will sell their cars through referral marketing, just like some ignorant housewives sell insurance.

P.S - There were 5 (sales)people from PVS Ford Calicut. The whole car was stinking, with the smell of cigarette and dampness.
Old 14th September 2010, 19:44   #532
BHPian

A friend of mine cracked this PJ, when you think about it, i personally liked it(p.s-you need to have a bad sense of humor to appreciate the joke)
Volkswagen Polo-the car with a hole..LOL
for those people wondering what the big fuss is,or didn't get the joke, Polo is also a mint who's tag line is "the mint with a hole"
Old 14th September 2010, 21:02   #533
BHPian

During my school days, A cousin of mine told me that the headlamps pop out when you press a switch in the Matiz

And....I bought it!
Old 14th September 2010, 21:16   #534
Senior - BHPian

For long time when i was young i never really knew the difference between alloys and wheel caps.I always used to be enthralled wonderfully designed wheel caps(which in those times were usually the case) and used to think they were some special wheels to make the car go faster!
Old 15th September 2010, 02:27   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
A friend of mine cracked this PJ, when you think about it, i personally liked it(p.s-you need to have a bad sense of humor to appreciate the joke)
Volkswagen Polo-the car with a hole..LOL
for those people wondering what the big fuss is,or didn't get the joke, Polo is also a mint who's tag line is "the mint with a hole"
I saw a new polo in our building delivered a few days drive into the parking lot today minus the VW logo at the front

Poor owner, but it really looked like the car with a hole
Old 15th September 2010, 13:10   #536
Team-BHP Support

Driving home one day with a colleague

A BMW X5 overtakes me - I go wow

She says "Looks like Innova"

Duh!
Old 17th September 2010, 11:17   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Driving home one day with a colleague

A BMW X5 overtakes me - I go wow

She says "Looks like Innova"

Duh!
At least it was an Innova. One of my friends who hates luxury vehicles challenged me to tell him the difference in styling between X5 and Tavera. Both vehicles had passed by us and he says he finds both same!! And yeah, I am still on speaking terms with him!
Old 17th September 2010, 11:42   #538
BHPian

I don't know if this should be here but this logic was surprising.

I was with a friend at a petrol pump to fill his car up. His petrol Swift had a lot of engine clatter (tappet noise i presume). As soon as my friend said, "Full tank karo", the guy brought out the diesel nozzle and was about to pump in diesel into it.

My friend started hailing adjectives at the pump man. The guy said, "aapka gaadi to diesel hai, petrol gaadi mein aisa awaz nahin hota" . My friend decided to leave the pump immediately without filling fuel due to reasons very evident.

P.S. Mods if this post is not appropriate for this thread then please move it to relevant thread.
Old 17th September 2010, 12:10   #539
BHPian

In my school days i always use to wonder why dont they have a reverse gear in bikes

i know it sounds really weird + stupid. To beat that my old pals still embarrass me with it

Last edited by dar3dev|l : 17th September 2010 at 12:11.
Old 17th September 2010, 12:16   #540
Senior - BHPian

There are bikes with reverse gear - super bikes to be exact! I think the Honda Gold wing has it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks