Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 16:51   #766
BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

This logic was fired at me by one of sales assistant at Maruti's showroom while we were evaluating Ritz.
"Sir the rear end of this car is futuristic, its called Boomerang rear technology. Generally what happens in other cars that while driving at high speeds a vacuum is created at the rear end of the car which can make the car skid at the rear. But this new technology in Ritz helps to avoid that rear vacuum and its absolute rock solid at high speeds . This concept is taken from areodynamics!!!"

I just smiled and patted his back for one heck of a Vaccuum logic. He just made my day!!!

Last edited by headbanger : 11th June 2011 at 16:52. Reason: spelling correction
headbanger is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 19:17   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
This logic was fired at me by one of sales assistant at Maruti's showroom while we were evaluating Ritz.
"Sir the rear end of this car is futuristic, its called Boomerang rear technology. Generally what happens in other cars that while driving at high speeds a vacuum is created at the rear end of the car which can make the car skid at the rear. But this new technology in Ritz helps to avoid that rear vacuum and its absolute rock solid at high speeds . This concept is taken from areodynamics!!!"

I just smiled and patted his back for one heck of a Vaccuum logic. He just made my day!!!
ha ha ha ha Sales men are forced to think out of the box to sell their cars these days! You should have immediately questioned him if all other cars from the Suzuki stable, including the Swift are unstable due to the vacuum created by the absence of the boomerang technology
aravind.anand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 02:25   #768
Senior - BHPian

That part about others cars being unstable could be ignored,but can there be some truth in the boomerang design of the rear of Ritz that has some aerodynamic reason?
Old 12th June 2011, 02:52   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
That part about others cars being unstable could be ignored,but can there be some truth in the boomerang design of the rear of Ritz that has some aerodynamic reason?
As far as my basic knowledge of air dynamics go, the inverted shape of Ritz will lead to more negative pressure then a non inverted shape aka swift
Old 12th June 2011, 03:19   #770
Senior - BHPian

the Ritz aerodynamic logic is hilarious! The sales guy has incredibly funny imagination! Wonder how me made all that up!
Old 12th June 2011, 08:51   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post

This chap should be given a pat on his back for thinking out of the box.

I mean it. Seriously, how many times does someone come up with such rock solid and convincing answers?
Old 12th June 2011, 12:35   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Amazing thought. To think of it, it is possible to do that isnt it. I mean the 800 engine bay is small, so we will have to cut the firewall, weld the front door in place, remove the dash and put the 3000 cc or even 4000 cc V 12 in the car. Then you sit on top of the car and drive!

Somewhat like this!
Attachment 558260
Nice one but instead of mounting the engine in the front, better to mount it behind the driver after removing the rear seats, a bit like the Clio V6 (previous generation). But I still wonder, will there be enough space at the back?
Old 12th June 2011, 20:55   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
ha ha ha ha Sales men are forced to think out of the box to sell their cars these days! You should have immediately questioned him if all other cars from the Suzuki stable, including the Swift are unstable due to the vacuum created by the absence of the boomerang technology
To be honest, I was not ready to digest any other super-tech idea. Thats why I just patted his back and went my way. But I do thank him for giving me a reason for enjoying a little smile whenever I think of him and his "super- boomerang" technology!!!
Old 14th June 2011, 11:36   #774
BHPian

Almost an year back - My friend decided to buy Ford Figo. Was told that only "Squeeze Green" is readily available and for other colors he has to wait for some time. He and his parents were quite happy with the color. After doing the booking etc., one day for some reason he drops at the Ford showroom and this is the conversation

SE: blah blah blah, btw which color did you say sir?
Friend: Green
SE: Sir, we do not have a Green color in Figo.
Friend: WHAT? (has his heart in his mouth )
SE: Yes sir, we do not have a Green color in Figo. Please check out the brochure, sir.
Friend: But its your showroom staff who said only Green is readily available.
SE: Ohh!! Thats not Green sir. Thats Squeeze.
Friend:

Last edited by callvvijay : 14th June 2011 at 11:37.
Old 1st July 2011, 23:34   #775
BHPian

Is it safe to drive an a/c car with the a/c turned off?

Sorry if this question has been asked before.I searched the forum but couldn't find anything similar.

A few of my friends told me recently that an ac car should always be driven with the ac ON. And driving it with the ac turned off can damage the 'systems'. They don't know what these 'systems' are but they said that all the components inside the car are created to work with the ac ON so it should be driven with the ac ON.

It might sound like a stupid statement but as a car lover, I don't want to do anything that is not good for my car.So I'm looking for some expert opinions here.
Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 02:04   #776
BHPian

^^^ Utter nonsense. Not true. The only systems being damaged by not using the AC "all the time" is that your interiors will be a bit dirtier as you will probably have your windows kept open
Xehaust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 12:23   #777
BHPian

Thanks Xehaust.

I thought it's true when I saw the crankshaft connected to the ac compressor in a diagram in the manual.
Old 4th July 2011, 00:18   #778
BHPian

It may be connected, but thats for the AC to actually work
Doesnt mean that the AC has to be turned on for other systems or the engine to work
And your very welcome.
Old 4th July 2011, 02:12   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is it safe to drive an a/c car with the a/c turned off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
A few of my friends told me recently that an ac car should always be driven with the ac ON. And driving it with the ac turned off can damage the 'systems'.
You have been answered this anyway. But since your friends made this statement, lets think in a different way too.

Its not good for a car to be started with A/C in the ON position! This will put a lot of load on the battery, so we need to make sure A/C is OFF when we start the car. Also its a good practice to start the FAN / BLOWER first and then switch ON the A/C. And while switching off the A/C, first the A/C should be OFF and then the Blower brought to zero.

Your friend might have meant this too, but would have put it in a different way.
Old 4th July 2011, 07:47   #780
Distinguished - BHPian

Had to pick up a couple of colleagues, and the topic of cars came up. One guy says that petrol vehiclesare naturally more FE than diesel cars. This came after mentioning the relationship between taxis of the Indicas. Realised there was no point in trying to explain & explain to him.
Quote:
fast&furious : A few of my friends told me recently that an ac car should always be driven with the ac ON. And driving it with the ac turned off can damage the 'systems'.
A small correction : You need to use the a/c atleast once a month so that the components get required lubrication and use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks