Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2012, 11:11   #1066
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Well, her logic would be "I push down to indicate right in Swift, same for Ikon". Kind of understandable, in a way. The mind will think that way if the connection between direction of turn-turning steering-indicator stalk pushing has not been made.
The point is that the WRONG connection has been made. You need to think with reference to the steering wheel and not the direction of the turn per se. Meaning to turn left you turn the steering anti-clockwise and the light indicator needs to be flipped IN THAT DIRECTION regardless of whether the stalk is placed to the left or right of the steering column.

In my honest opinion, if someone doesn't know this, they shouldn't be driving at all. Sorry.

Quote:
Similar case on usability is the classical elevator button problem. You are on the 4th floor of a 15-storey building. Lift is on the 10th floor, you want to go to 7th floor. You press the button to call the lift. Do you press "UP" or "DOWN"

Half will say "UP" because I want to go up.
Other half will say "DOWN" because I am calling the lift and it has to come down to my floor.
You don't bother where the elevator is coming from. You need to only go where you are going: UP or DOWN. And press the relevant button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiju.dba View Post
1) Mahindra launched diesel engined gearless scooters.
Serves them right for naming the model Duro DZ. The first time I saw the advert, even I got excited imagining it was an oil burner (DZ sounds a lot like diesel). In fact Anand M himself joked about this is a press conference that I'd attended!

Quote:
2) Ambassador back seat comfort is better than Mercedes Benz S Class !!!
Don't know about S-class but it sure beats most D-segment sedans

Quote:
3) Maruti Gypsy's actual top speed is highly classified information since it is using by Indian Military.

Last edited by noopster : 27th September 2012 at 11:15.
Old 27th September 2012, 11:55   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Don't know about S-class but it sure beats most D-segment sedans
I've said this earlier in this forum - Amby back seat is comfortable only when the car is stationary. Ultra spongy suspension means when travelling at speed it is like sitting in a rocking boat at high tide!! Amby was part of our family for a very long time
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 12:35   #1068
Ice
BHPian

"Why da you are worrying about mileage and all? I see you keep coming into neutral gear (??!!) at signals and traffic jam. Instead, press the clutch and keep it in 5th gear. Overdrive, maga. You'll get great mileage"

I cringe.
Ice is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 12:40   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
"Why da you are worrying about mileage and all? I see you keep coming into neutral gear (??!!) at signals and traffic jam. Instead, press the clutch and keep it in 5th gear. Overdrive, maga. You'll get great mileage"

Lord save your friend's soul!
Old 27th September 2012, 13:32   #1070
BHPian

Overheard a conversation between two Englishmen on a flight back from Bangalore.

Englishman 1 - "Did you see the bus on our way to the airport?"

Englishman 2 - "Couldn't take my eyes off it. There were passengers hanging off other passengers who in turn were hanging on with their dear lives to the railing. The whole bus was virtually leaning to the left"

Englishman 1 - "It completely defies laws of gravity"

Englishman 2 - "But it obeys laws of surface tension"
arup.misra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 13:51   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
In my honest opinion, if someone doesn't know this, they shouldn't be driving at all. Sorry.
I completely agree, hence the "God save you" comment

On a serious note, I think it has got a lot to do with the way in which we control how driving licenses are "rewarded" in our country. This indicator mess up is just one example, most of the people don't know when to use a high beam, what is the purpose of hazard lights, flashing headlights to budge your way in is the norm. The list is endless. I really feel if we need to make our roads safer, we need to completely revisit our attitude towards driving and who we allow to drive on our roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Englishman 2 - "But it obeys laws of surface tension"
Tell me about the English sense of humour!! At my office, we have a honorary badge called "I survived India" for all those who visit India and come back without scratching a car (Lot of Brits have to visit the TATA facilities in Pune now, and invariably they have to drive around for purpose of testing/validation/homologation feedback etc).
dgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 18:07   #1072
BHPian

This happened recently when I was riding passenger in my colleague's Alto K10. Monsoons were receding, except for the occasional shower that would wreak havoc on Hinjewadi streets. Although it was only drizzling, the roads were mucky and slushy. The car ahead of us was spraying a fine mist of dirt on my colleague's windscreen.

I asked him to use the washer/wiper to clean his windscreen. He answers "The water is over. Can't clean it."

I ask him "Why didn't you fill it up, you need it a lot during monsoons..."

To which he replies "Fill it up? How? There should also be enough rain to fill up the water tank, na?"

I was like on his idea of rainwater harvesting! Explained to him that he needs to open the bonnet and pour water into the washer/wiper reservoir.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
DueLLeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 20:27   #1073
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ What does he do to recharge the battery? Leave the car with bonnet open in the sun?
noopster is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 21:34   #1074
BHPian

Recently while traveling in my car and discussing about the small cars one of my colleague saw spark car in front of our car.I told him that this is also the good option for a small car.He said he did not consider this car because this car is made by those who manufacture Ambassador cars as well.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 24th October 2012 at 21:50.
Old 24th October 2012, 21:42   #1075
BHPian

Met service manager of Chevy few days back thru common friend over a tea. The conversation goes like this

Me" New Sail is getting good reviews"
SM" This car is great"
Me" The diesel engine is said to be in best state of tune"
SM" The fact is that chevy cars have engine which is decided when it is made and not like maruti which retrofits the engine in it's cars. They can never get it perfect"
Me"uhhhh...."
SM" see the Diesel engine on beat was specially made for this car and same is for sail, this engine is made specially fir sail only"
Me" but this engine is present in Punto, swift etc etc"
SM" no this is different engine and made only for Sail"
I keep quite.....

Another conversation ends when Sm says" Wagon R is dead...Maruti is offering huge discounts because they are not even able to sell even 800 cars per month all over india for last six month"....I thought how can such a ignorant person be ever be service manager with such great knowledge"
Old 25th October 2012, 14:02   #1076
Senior - BHPian

My then 5 year old son speaking from the rear seat as I turn out of the society main gate onto the main road: What gear are we in?
Me: now 2nd
He, after a few secs: now?
Me: 3th
He: now?
Me: 4th
I slow down to make a u turn.
He: Now?
me: 3rd, 2nd. I learn the game (or so I think) and start saying the gears when I shift. eventually he gets bored and looks out at nothing really. in a few minutes, we reach a free stretch and suddenly he is interested again. I move into 5 and say the number.
Theres a big shout and yoo hoo'ing from the rear seat
he: we are in Top Gear!!!
A Hammond fan, because apparently he can fit into all cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
"Why da you are worrying about mileage and all? I see you keep coming into neutral gear (??!!) at signals and traffic jam. Instead, press the clutch and keep it in 5th gear. Overdrive, maga. You'll get great mileage" I cringe.
Please please get your friend to describe how automatics function and post it here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
He said he did not consider this car because this car is made by those who manufacture Ambassador cars as well.
Generally confused whether the motor is from Hindustan or GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
I thought how can such a ignorant person be ever be service manager with such great knowledge"
Is that why he is service manager, not sales manager

Last edited by selfdrive : 25th October 2012 at 14:16.
Old 28th October 2012, 22:08   #1077
Senior - BHPian

So was having a conversation on highway travel with my uncle (learn't driving 2 years ago) and that's when he said these golden lines:

Uncle: You know, on a recent highway journey I covered 200 kms in 2 hours flat!
Me: Whoa! You must have done some serious high speeds. Not a safe practice on our highways.
Uncle: Nah! never went above 100km/hr.
Me: Then how did you cover 200 kms in 2 hours I've never managed an avg speed of more than 80 kms/hour in 5 years of highway driving
Uncle: See, I drove at exact 100kms.hr on the speedo for 2 hours,and after two hours the odo showed I'd covered 200 kms.
Me: Are you sure you calculated the distance right ?
Uncle: Very sure! I even reset the trip meter before I started
Me
Old 29th October 2012, 12:01   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
So was having a conversation on highway travel with my uncle (learn't driving 2 years ago) and that's when he said these golden lines:

Uncle: You know, on a recent highway journey I covered 200 kms in 2 hours flat!
Me: Whoa! You must have done some serious high speeds. Not a safe practice on our highways.
Uncle: Nah! never went above 100km/hr.
Me: Then how did you cover 200 kms in 2 hours I've never managed an avg speed of more than 80 kms/hour in 5 years of highway driving
Uncle: See, I drove at exact 100kms.hr on the speedo for 2 hours,and after two hours the odo showed I'd covered 200 kms.
Me: Are you sure you calculated the distance right ?
Uncle: Very sure! I even reset the trip meter before I started
Me
Theoritically nothing out of place.
But in India, very highly unlikely (next to impossible) that you get to drive at 100kmph without the need to slowdown even once for 200km at a stretch!
It is very common to come across people claiming that since the distance is X km and I'll be driving at Y kmph, hence I will cover the distance in X/Y hours!

Last edited by anuragn : 29th October 2012 at 12:02.
Old 29th October 2012, 13:04   #1079
BHPian

According to one of my friend who recently bought a Jetta comfortline, his car goes from 0-140kmph in 7.2 seconds in stock condition.

Here is the conversation while we were travelling to gurgaon in our newly bought merc C250 cdi

Me: How are u finding the car?

Friend: Its nice. I love the turbo diesel. It is fast.

Me: Yeah, have u observed the handling at high speeds? It is a very sorted and capable car.

Friend: Nah, i am busy doing drag races. I beat so many people on red lights. U wont believe it does 0-140 in 7.2 seconds. I can even beat this merc of yours.

Note From T-BHP Support-Staff: Editing reference to street-racing as we do not encourage it (and related discussions) on the forum. Please go through the Announcements carefully. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th October 2012 at 13:45. Reason: see note in post :)
Old 29th October 2012, 13:30   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Re: Comedy of Errors at Indian Dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
SUC: Oh now I get it! 2 reverse gears...
YT: Excuse me?!
SUC: When you want to reverse normally, you use #7! When you want to reverse very fast, you use #8!!
YT: Er...

I was dumbstruck and had no repartee to this 'blond moment' that I witnessed first hand. So I decided to quietly exit the scene of crime.
To be fair there was a German car released recently (can't remember Merc or BMW I think), which came with two reverse gears. Kinda along the lines he mentioned. One slower and one faster.

But the minute I read the post I was ROFL.

Don't we all just love "blonde" moments. Makes our days worth living and really keeps us energetic the whole day just thinking about it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks