Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2012, 12:00   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Mazda has/had something similar in the RX8 with two rotary engines welded together to form one engine.
Old 28th December 2012, 12:07   #1097
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Guess you meant to say the Atom's V8 engine since the Busa already has an I4.
Oh yes, that was a typo. The Atom's V8 is two 'Busa engines welded together.

But, is the RD350's motor really the amalgamation of two Rajdoot 175 engines? I'm not sure?
Old 28th December 2012, 13:36   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Oh yes, that was a typo. The Atom's V8 is two 'Busa engines welded together.

But, is the RD350's motor really the amalgamation of two Rajdoot 175 engines? I'm not sure?
I can say with a lot of confidence - no. The Rajdoot 175's engine was a very primitive 2-stroke motor. I have opened one up and serviced it. You could, if you kicked it right, start the engine in the reverse direction of rotation. I have done that also - put it in 1st gear and gone backwards

The RD350 was way more sophisticated.
Old 29th December 2012, 09:21   #1099
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : Please stick to the topic. Thanks!
Old 29th December 2012, 13:56   #1100
BHPian

A comment from my non-enthusiast friend.

When the reverse gear is used, the AC must be compulsorily switched off as it puts extreme load on the engine :-D
Old 20th March 2013, 17:14   #1101
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice posts friends,

Here's my experience.

In Ranchi...some 3-4 years ago. We were invited (by the owner) to test drive a used Maruti 800 in which my friend was interested. Before seeing the car, I asked the year/ model of the car and the owner stated that it's a 2004 model and he won't except anything less than 2 lacs for it in a very stern voice! I was little fumed from inside as the statements were made in wrong tone...As if he is doing a charity by selling his 800 in 2 lacs to us!

Now that we had come to see the car, we proceeded to the parking space. It was a white, new model 800 looking in acceptable cosmetic condition from outside. Before starting the car, I asked the owner to open the bonnet. He insisted on cranking the car...but I insisted that I want to have a look inside.

Next what happened was something I could not have asked better...a point to give him back what he gave to us. There was a nice old carburetor greeting us when the bonnet was raised. I said it's no way a 2004 car, will you tell us the actual year of manufacture of your car...but he insistent in an arrogant way that it is a 2004 made car and he bought it brand new.

This time, I asked him in a stern tone which he offered us a little back that how come a 2004 model car is not an MPFI car? and why he is trying to fool us. Also, the car had repair marks on the left side in the fender area. I asked if he had an accident with the vehicle; which finally he said yes..."once it happened"!

About the MPFI thing, the reason he gave was hilarious... & stupid enough
He said that he intentionally bought a 'carbureted' version of 800 as he did a lot of 'highway trips' & MPFI cars were not reliable and if they broke down on the highway, we cannot repair it...so its better to have a carburetor model. I went

We walked away even without cranking/ starting the car leaving the man disgusted. He offered a 'final' price of 1.6 lacs when he saw us walking away. But more than price, the guy's attitude and the fact that he lied had put me off long before. & I was happy that I gave him back what he deserved.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 20th March 2013 at 17:16.
Old 20th March 2013, 21:56   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Nice posts friends,

Next what happened was something I could not have asked better...a point to give him back what he gave to us. There was a nice old carburetor greeting us when the bonnet was raised. I said it's no way a 2004 car, will you tell us the actual year of manufacture of your car...but he insistent in an arrogant way that it is a 2004 made car and he bought it brand new.

Regards,
Saket
I think its the Euro 1 model of 800 which came with carb. I have a 2005 model 800 Euro 1 version which isnt fuel injected (mpfi). His claim cannot be entirely dismissed.
Old 5th April 2013, 09:24   #1103
Senior - BHPian

In the context of discussing mid size sedans, my friend: all other cars are ok, but I hate the Passat and Camry!

Me (curious): why so?

Friend: In passat they put the wall clock on the car. They can't even afford a digital clock.

Me: well... And the Camry?

Friend: I don't like the Toyota logo.

Guess car selection is based on a completely different set of criteria for non-petrol heads :-)
(Not that I would buy either of these cars though)
Old 17th May 2013, 10:11   #1104
BHPian

This happened yesterday morning. I was going to my office along with my colleague after parking my bike in the basement floor when he noticed a Jeep(MM540) sitting in the parking lot. He suddenly turned excited and pointed out to me,"Look, they have fitted the silencer in the front of the car, just like the old tractors."
Bemused, I turned around to notice the 'Silencer', a fake snorkel attached to the side of the jeep.
I later explained him the whole concept of a snorkel and he just nodded his head all along, probably thinking the silencer idea is a gem that he should be trying out for his vehicle!
Old 17th May 2013, 12:27   #1105
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine who moved to US recently, pinged me in a chat and said, "I bought a 2005 Accord".
Me: oh, so you are a typical Indian in the US. BTW, which engine is it? 2.4L, 3L or 3.6L?
He: oh, what is that?
Me: that's the engine capacity dude.
He: how do I find that out?
Me: don't tell me you didn't check it out before buying!

After a few minutes, he pinged again and said: It is a 2.4L
Me: how did you know?
He: I checked the invoice!
Old 17th May 2013, 15:22   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Long ago, a friend of mine who had bought a brand new LML Vespa told me he had bought a "Bajaj LML Vespa 150 NV"!
Old 17th May 2013, 17:17   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Long ago, a friend of mine who had bought a brand new LML Vespa told me he had bought a "Bajaj LML Vespa 150 NV"!

Your friend was right actually.
Long ago, Bajaj did build the 150 under license from Piaggio.
Old 17th May 2013, 17:24   #1108
Senior - BHPian

^^ No, he was not! He was referring to his LML Vespa 150 NV made by Lohia Machines! By that time the Bajaj - vespa venture was dead for a couple of decades!
Old 17th June 2013, 14:16   #1109
Senior - BHPian

One of my friends recently told me, that "Tata have launched the Safari Storme. Know what? It has wheels that can turn 90° ! And all 4 wheels turn 90° in place. The car can turn in some seriously short space!! "
Old 18th June 2013, 09:29   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
In the context of discussing mid size sedans, my friend: all other cars are ok, but I hate the Passat and Camry!

Me (curious): why so?

Friend: In passat they put the wall clock on the car. They can't even afford a digital clock.

Me: well... And the Camry?

Friend: I don't like the Toyota logo.

Guess car selection is based on a completely different set of criteria for non-petrol heads :-)
(Not that I would buy either of these cars though)
Same friend ruled out Mazdas and Subarus too. Here's why:

- "When you say Mazda I remember Swaraj Mazda"
- "Subaru sounds like Subbarao"

Most Viewed