Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 11:58   #1126
Team-BHP Support

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
This was funny as hell, i only have pity for the poor soul of a driver who ended up in that situation. I bet he would accuse us of selling our stuff when he sees our rides with the spare tyres at the back . No offense intended but if this is true, i really hope you do educate your friend so more drivers don't lose their jobs.
Oh I was misunderstood.

When I said my friend "fired his driver" he did not fire the man out of his job, just gave him a shelling.

I assume the driver must have thought "Saab thora gussa main hain" and continued with his work.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 12:12   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Oh I was misunderstood.

When I said my friend "fired his driver" he did not fire the man out of his job, just gave him a shelling.

I assume the driver must have thought "Saab thora gussa main hain" and continued with his work.
My misunderstanding made it a little more entertaining but anyway, i giggled a bit when i imagined a guy losing his job for carrying something which came with the car. Thanks though .
Old 13th September 2013, 23:35   #1128
BHPian

A friend of mine tells me he went to test drive the older E91 320D bmw, so i ask him how did it go, he says what an undriver oriented car, now i ask what happened he says the first thing i see when i sit in the car is the Hand brake right next to my hand.
i just say ok and make a mental note note to ignore everything said further.
Old 14th September 2013, 23:54   #1129
BHPian

The funniest conversation I came across in a car dealership -

I was at Trident Renault with a very good friend of mine. My friend was confused about 'What car to buy under 6 lacs'.

The sales guy introduced himself and asked my friend "Sir, what are you looking for in your new car?"

I expeted something like - looks, cost, mileage, power or interiors etc etc.

My friend took 2-3 seconds to say "A very good music system"
Old 22nd September 2013, 19:22   #1130
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I was cleaning my bike today and a colleague who has moved into a house nearby was walking past and talked to me about the money I paid for it and how much I get on 1 Ltr of fuel. He looked quite intrigued by a Royal Enfield and kept looking at the rear tire and shock absorbers. Then he commented...

"The rear shock absorbers in this are slanting towards the front of the bike... normally in pulsars the are slanting towards the rear! Hmm.. interesting!"

I only wonder if he has ever had the common sense of figuring out why they always slant forward. People like these who cannot visualize the working of linkages when seeing a working model should not be allowed to talk about machines leave alone own or handle them.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 03:45   #1131
BHPian

My 2003 Nissan Maxima has speed sensitive volume control for the CD Player which gradually increases the volume as the speed of the car increases. My better half didnt know about this option. We were having some heated arguments in the car as we were approaching the freeway. Once the car touched the freeway and I increased the speed - and the volume of the song also increases..A statement came from other side "You cannot make me keep me quiet by increasing the volume....."
Old 24th September 2013, 09:53   #1132
Senior - BHPian

^^^ On similar lines... I used to drive a Honda Accord V6, which is super silent when driven sedately and when you push the pedal hard, makes that sweet vroom sound as the VTEC kicks in (Yo!). On that fateful day when we set out on a long trip, I wanted to enjoy the sound of the engine, so turned off the radio. When I merged onto an Interstate Highway, I pressed the pedal hard to accelerate from almost stand-still to a decent 80mph in no time. My friend, on hearing the sound (he'd never bothered to listen to the engine sound before) screamed so loud that I was startled and freaked out that I almost crashed onto the curb!!! Later on, he asked me if I had done something to the car to make it scream like that
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 16:10   #1133
BHPian

One of my colleague, "I wanted to buy a hatch back, I have asked Nandi Toyota to bring Etios, the sales guy said is it Etios Liva sir. I told him no I need to TD Etios."
Old 25th September 2013, 12:12   #1134
BHPian

A common one that I hear from my FIL every time at my native. As soon as he is seated I request him to put on the seat belt.
"Seat belt? hmm, that is only for cities, nah?
Here, no need. Police will not catch you. Also, even if you drive fast, you will not have accidents"
My wife then comes to the rescue, forcing her dad to put it on. I remain silent!
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 12:25   #1135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
"Seat belt? hmm, that is only for cities, nah?
Here, no need. Police will not catch you. Also, even if you drive fast, you will not have accidents"
Do pardon me, but even non-petrolheads realize the importance of seatbelts and other safety features. My own child has known since she was about 4 that she isn't allowed to sit in front because of airbags (she used to call them "air balloons" ) and that she is safest in her booster seat in the back belted up.
No offence but some "training' is called for
Old 25th September 2013, 12:36   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Do pardon me, but even non-petrolheads realize the importance of seatbelts and other safety features. My own child has known since she was about 4 that she isn't allowed to sit in front because of airbags (she used to call them "air balloons" ) and that she is safest in her booster seat in the back belted up.
No offence but some "training' is called for
I think its more to do with the thinking that "nothing will happen to me". They know what the seat-belt is there for. But they just won't do it. I have had a hard time convincing my dad. He does it now religiously. Its another thing with my FIL.
On the other hand, my 3 year old son is stead-fast on wearing the belts. He sits at the back and seeing both my wife and myself do this first, he wants it done at all costs, every time. Even when i delay for a few seconds making sure he is comfortable, his hands are trying to reach for the belts on his seat. Feel proud that he's got his training .
Old 25th September 2013, 12:48   #1137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I think its more to do with the thinking that "nothing will happen to me". They know what the seat-belt is there for. But they just won't do it. I have had a hard time convincing my dad. He does it now religiously. Its another thing with my FIL.
On the other hand, my 3 year old son is stead-fast on wearing the belts. He sits at the back and seeing both my wife and myself do this first, he wants it done at all costs, every time. Even when i delay for a few seconds making sure he is comfortable, his hands are trying to reach for the belts on his seat. Feel proud that he's got his training .
Is your 3 year old son wearing an adult seatbelt without an age appropiate child seat?

Please note that if he is then in an accident he could suffer severe stomach trauma.
Old 25th September 2013, 12:50   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Is your 3 year old son wearing an adult seatbelt without an age appropiate child seat?

Please note that if he is then in an accident he could suffer severe stomach trauma.
Not at all. Can't risk his life in this meyhem. His child seat is fixed at the back.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 09:41   #1139
Team-BHP Support

The non-petrol head in this case my uncle's driver... my uncle is 74 years old and has no idea about cars.

#1 : The AC in the Honda City had stopped working. It used to get very hot within few minutes of driving and they had to lower the windows to let cooler air in. This was a problem even during rains or cool nights. The driver said it happened all of a sudden and he didn't cause it. My uncle was planning to get it to the service station. Then it happened. His sister happened to take a ride in his car and it started getting hot as usual. She has had a car in the family since the 70s, she knew a bit more about cars, so she looked at the AC controls. It was set to maximum heat. She turned it back to cool setting and the problem was solved. When she confronted the driver, he defended himself saying he knows nothing about those fancy controls, he just drives the car.

#2 : This time both my uncle, his wife and his sister were the car. They were following a truck carrying small stones (Jally stones). They noticed that the stones were falling frequently from the truck. They asked the driver to back off and maintain safer distance. He ignored the advice saying nothing will happen. But it happened. One of the rocks hit the underside hard. Soon a red light appeared on the dash. My car savvy aunt noticed the red light and asked the driver about it. The driver says he doesn't know what that means and kept on driving. She didn't believe him and asked him to stop and check. So he stops, opens the hood and says everything is ok. My uncle notices an oil trail behind the car and shows it to the driver. The driver says it is just dirty water. My uncle points out it is oil and not water. Driver finally admits something may be wrong. So they decide to drive to the service station. But the car wouldn't start again. The driver gets into the driver seat, puts car on 1st gear and asks my uncle to push from behind. The car doesn't move. A pair of guys passing by on the bike see this 74 year old man pushing the car while a much younger driver is in driver seat. They stop and see the gear position, oil spill and abuse the driver. To cut the long story short, relatives came and took the ladies home, car was towed to the service station. The engine needs complete rebuild.

The driver is no more in employment. Here is a driver who didn't how to set the AC control, and certainly didn't know the meaning of oil pressure warning light.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 10:02   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The driver is no more in employment. Here is a driver who didn't how to set the AC control, and certainly didn't know the meaning of oil pressure warning light.
This is the case with most drivers. They are not educated and don't have an opportunity to read and understand the owner manuals. Before employing a driver, its our duty to check what all does he know and the rest should be taught.

In your Uncle's case, he himself did not know much about cars, so this was not an option to 'interview' the driver. Taking help of a known person is always a good option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks