Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2013, 10:25   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The non-petrol head in this case my uncle's driver... my uncle is 74 years old and has no idea about cars. #1 : The AC in the Honda City had stopped working. It used to get very hot within few minutes of driving and they had to lower the windows to let cooler air in. This was a problem even during rains or cool nights. The driver said it happened all of a sudden and he didn't cause it. My uncle was planning to get it to the service station. Then it happened. His sister happened to take a ride in his car and it started getting hot as usual. She has had a car in the family since the 70s, she knew a bit more about cars, so she looked at the AC controls. It was set to maximum heat. She turned it back to cool setting and the problem was solved. When she confronted the driver, he defended himself saying he knows nothing about those fancy controls, he just drives the car. #2 : This time both my uncle, his wife and his sister were the car. They were following a truck carrying small stones (Jally stones). They noticed that the stones were falling frequently from the truck. They asked the driver to back off and maintain safer distance. He ignored the advice saying nothing will happen. But it happened. One of the rocks hit the underside hard. Soon a red light appeared on the dash. My car savvy aunt noticed the red light and asked the driver about it. The driver says he doesn't know what that means and kept on driving. She didn't believe him and asked him to stop and check. So he stops, opens the hood and says everything is ok. My uncle notices an oil trail behind the car and shows it to the driver. The driver says it is just dirty water. My uncle points out it is oil and not water. Driver finally admits something may be wrong. So they decide to drive to the service station. But the car wouldn't start again. The driver gets into the driver seat, puts car on 1st gear and asks my uncle to push from behind. The car doesn't move. A pair of guys passing by on the bike see this 74 year old man pushing the car while a much younger driver is in driver seat. They stop and see the gear position, oil spill and abuse the driver. To cut the long story short, relatives came and took the ladies home, car was towed to the service station. The engine needs complete rebuild. The driver is no more in employment. Here is a driver who didn't how to set the AC control, and certainly didn't know the meaning of oil pressure warning light.
That's sad! A small stone hit and the engine needs a rebuild? Hope insurance is covering it.

Drivers always . I had one who refused to put on headlamps till it became pitch black, and I had to insist it's not his risk to take. Another who got offended when told not to ride the clutch constantly.
Old 29th September 2013, 11:01   #1142
Team-BHP Support

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
That's sad! A small stone hit and the engine needs a rebuild? Hope insurance is covering it.
The stone hit the oil filter, the oil started leaking, but the driver kept on driving with no engine oil. He stopped only when my aunt forced him to stop. By then enough damage had been caused. It doesn't need more than a minute for the oil to empty if the filter has a hole.

I know it by experience: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...terrupted.html
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 12:51   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't need more than a minute for the oil to empty if the filter has a hole.

I know it by experience: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...terrupted.html
I was also thinking how a 1 inch stone could break the sump. In your experience detailed in the link, it is an underbelly hit and that too with half feet rock. But then I re-read the word oil filter, I forgot about the weakest link. Does it come lower down.
Old 29th September 2013, 13:15   #1144
Team-BHP Support

It is a 9 year old Honda City, probably the plastic skid plates are missing. The oil filter does hang in the bottom for many cars. It certainly did for Baleno.

See the blue oil filter under the engine of this 2012 Honda City: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...12.02.20_2.jpg
Old 28th October 2013, 11:30   #1145
Team-BHP Support

Today morning I was listening to Indigo 91.9FM. They have this regular feature called battle of the sexes, where they ask girlie questions to guys and manly questions to girls.

Question to the girl=> Name the equipment used to lift the car while changing the tyres.

Girl : <without hesitation> No Idea!
Guy: <chuckling> Stepney

And then RJ Michelle Patrao gives it to him saying "Correct, it is called Jack or Stepney".
Old 28th October 2013, 11:35   #1146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today morning I was listening to Indigo 91.9FM. They have this regular feature called battle of the sexes, where they ask girlie questions to guys and manly questions to girls.

Question to the girl=> Name the equipment used to lift the car while changing the tyres.

And then RJ Michelle Patrao gives it to him saying "Correct, it is called Jack or Stepney".

So between the battle of the sexes between the guy and the girl, the RJ lost.
It must take a special gene to lose at something you didnt partake in!
Old 28th October 2013, 13:26   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

LMAO!

why don't you post it on their FB page. would be fun to see the reaction
Old 10th April 2014, 08:05   #1148
Senior - BHPian

I had a raid de himalaya T2 category spec rally prepped gypsy of a friend with me for a few days.Rolled in to a eating joint.A crowd gathers and one of them asks me.

Ye Yamaha ki gaadi hai

Translation.

Is this car made by Yamaha

They probably related to Yamaha due to its FFE music.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 10th April 2014 at 08:07.
Old 15th April 2014, 11:14   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Not surprisingly this came from a supposedly good mechanic based in Hormavu, Bangalore. Auto-Mac is the name.

I had gone there on throttle not responding at times when revv'd in neutral and only wanted to know his view and nothing else and instead got looted.

My car has a BMC Cold Air Intake installed and this guy looks at it and after listening to my issue asks , was the Mass Airflow Sensor removed as well along with the stock intake set up.

I had visited him on recommendation from a friend who is obviously getting fooled over the years.
Old 29th April 2014, 17:17   #1150
BHPian

Here is my list -

1. I went to check a pre-owned Pulsar 180 in 2006 and the owner claimed that it is a unique piece as government forced Bajaj to stop production of Pulsar 180 as it is too powerful and people meet with accidents on this bike. I have tuned my bike so now it is safe to ride it.

2. I parked my P220 and one guy came over and asked if the bike came with speakers! He was referring to the honeycomb design on either sides of fairing. I said "yes" it has an inbuilt radio..

3. My boss got himself a pre-abused Honda City (an accidental one), after discovering the issues with the car he justified that he really liked touch screen music system and seat covers of the car.

4. During school time my friend used to claim that his father drifts his Fiat Padmini and he helps him in pulling the handbrake!
Old 30th April 2014, 18:06   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Not surprisingly this came from a supposedly good mechanic based in Hormavu, Bangalore. Auto-Mac is the name.

I had gone there on throttle not responding at times when revv'd in neutral and only wanted to know his view and nothing else and instead got looted.

My car has a BMC Cold Air Intake installed and this guy looks at it and after listening to my issue asks , was the Mass Airflow Sensor removed as well along with the stock intake set up.

I had visited him on recommendation from a friend who is obviously getting fooled over the years.
What exactly is quirky or funny about the mechanic's question?
Old 30th April 2014, 19:02   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
What exactly is quirky or funny about the mechanic's question?
Well, I should have explained more, my bad.

I had explained quite clearly to him about my car's set up and that I just came there for his views. I also suggested cleaning the Mass Airflow sensor since it had resolved a similar issue on a fellow Bhpian's Fiesta, for which he asked me was the sensor removed when the CAI was fixed. I had also mentioned to him that I had been running with this set up for over 2 years without any issue or drop in mileage.
Now when a mechanic who is supposedly good at his work asks me if the sensor is missing just because the car had a CAI fitted and to top that when I was pointing at the sensor in front of his face, for me it will for sure will qualify for this thread.
Unless a Ford can run fine without this sensor at all and that I did not know that.

Last edited by tharian : 30th April 2014 at 19:08.
Old 7th May 2014, 12:46   #1153
Senior - BHPian

A colleague bought a 3 series, we went to check it out.

One of the guys comments: "No spoiler? Why did you buy a car without the spoiler?"

The buyer (confused): "Huh? No it doesnt have a spoiler"

Me (smililng): Car looks good, why spoil it?

Guy who commented first (explaining in a patient tone): "No no.. spoiler doesn't spoil the car. Spoiler is to spoil the accident".

I have no idea what he meant by that
Old 7th May 2014, 12:58   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
Here is my list -

1. I went to check a pre-owned Pulsar 180 in 2006 and the owner claimed that it is a unique piece as government forced Bajaj to stop production of Pulsar 180 as it is too powerful and people meet with accidents on this bike. I have tuned my bike so now it is safe to ride it.

2. I parked my P220 and one guy came over and asked if the bike came with speakers! He was referring to the honeycomb design on either sides of fairing. I said "yes" it has an inbuilt radio..

3. My boss got himself a pre-abused Honda City (an accidental one), after discovering the issues with the car he justified that he really liked touch screen music system and seat covers of the car.

4. During school time my friend used to claim that his father drifts his Fiat Padmini and he helps him in pulling the handbrake!
In our 1983 PP,the hand brake was located in the passenger side footwell.
So he might be correct,and yes a PP can drift in hands of a good driver.
Old 7th May 2014, 13:12   #1155
BHPian

Mods: Don't know if it pertains to this section .Pls modify/delete according to the rules of the forum.

At the MASS.

Me:Tires are not properly aligned after you did the alignment service last time
SA:Saar,your tires had problems ,it requires changing.
Me :(Showing him the alignment report) .Why is it showing 13" size when my car is on 14" wheels?
SA :It doesn't matter sir.This car also comes in 13" .

Second one (Same SA)

SA :Sir we had put pollen filter for AC in your car
Me:You had put it last time I came and I paid for that.
SA :It needs frequent change
Me :How much is the interval ?
SA:5000 Km .
Me :My car came in just 500 KM earlier.(Showed him the old bill)
SA:(Called his mechanic and asks ) Haven't you noticed it
Mechanic :Sir,Err,Brr,Hmmm
Me : I know you had not put anything inside that. Don't inflate my bill like that.

I didn't pay for that item !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks