Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2010, 18:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
When you come to my locality, you will see only a single (or two) jazzes and 20 dzires. Most dzires are LXI or VDI models.

When my dad bought the jazz, and we told the price as 7,50,000, many people scratched their heads and started quibbling about the car. They said-dzire le lete..badi gaddi hai..

My reply," you call dzire a badi gaddi? I mean come on, it looks like a swift with an unhatched egg....like I call-pregnented cars which will never deliver and ultimately suffer from miscarriage....I asked them-does your so called dzie have magic seats? audio controls on steering? Tilt steering? or defogger with wiper for safety? or ABS and airbags? or even 90 horses from 1.2....your nannys just have underpowered 1.3s with 87 horses and some of your cars didn't even have wheelcaps...really looks like a villagers "badi gaddi" etc...."

and there you go, people running away quibbling their heads..feeling embarrassed on if I would stop a hapless owner of a dzire lxi or ldi and want to ask him, poor guy will roll down windows sweating and will feel shortchanged....

Awesome reply!

what I dont like now is that the passion of owning a car has died down! Almost everyone's priority is FE! (as one of the priorities its fine! but I've seen ppl base their decisions solely on FE)

I bought my i20 because I fell in love with it the first time I laid my eyes on it, draped in sparkle blue!
Old 17th July 2010, 21:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Both the things she said could potentially be atleast partially true....
Absolutely. Ask your aunt to join TBHP..no kidding. She's (especially) 100% right about the Philips CRTs. I was shopping for a LCD TV in 2008 and instead ended up buying a Philips 100 hz CRT HDTV (model: 29PT8836/94) which can do 1080i (not 1080P). Pure bliss !

When I bought my Punto some 15 days back some reactions were:
- "you should've considered the Tavera" - a BANK MANAGER
- "you should have bought the Swift" - at least 100 people
- "Poonto? what kind of car is that? never heard it before" - a college teacher who has a doctorate in English
- "Anna! Punto kidilan vandy alle? (Punto is a very good car!) " - an Auto rickshaw driver when I went to a small workshop to fit the HSR number plate
- "I like everything, except this" - another rick driver, pointing to the Exide battery

Lesson: You cannot identify probable petrol heads on the basis of their education/background.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 17th July 2010 at 22:09.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2010, 23:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Awesome reply!

what I dont like now is that the passion of owning a car has died down! Almost everyone's priority is FE! (as one of the priorities its fine! but I've seen ppl base their decisions solely on FE)

I bought my i20 because I fell in love with it the first time I laid my eyes on it, draped in sparkle blue!

And Maruti are shamelessly using it in their latest ad.
Old 17th July 2010, 23:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Could relate to every single post in this thread. Unfortunately this would be true to 99% of the population. However, I would probably go out and say, its not only just automobiles, name anything and people would have the same generic answers/viewpoints/indifference, be it while you are buying a pair of shoes or ordering chicken from KFC in original recipe.
Old 17th July 2010, 23:26   #20
BHPian

I heard from one of my clients that Innova is a failure and qualis was better. We Indian's considered qualis as a good vehicle since we did not seen anything as good and reliable as a Toyota vehicle that time. I tried to prove him, Innova is the segment leader and a success. What to do? certain people believes certain things and it is better to keep silent and agree with them in such situations. I had traveled in 1lac+ high mileage Innova of my friend and still felt the vehicle better than my 4 year old ikon flair.(No offence to ikon owners as i love my car very much too, but i felt Innova better in terms of comfort)
Old 17th July 2010, 23:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
When you come to my locality, you will see only a single (or two) jazzes and 20 dzires. Most dzires are LXI or VDI models.

When my dad bought the jazz, and we told the price as 7,50,000, many people scratched their heads and started quibbling about the car. They said-dzire le lete..badi gaddi hai..

My reply," you call dzire a badi gaddi? I mean come on, it looks like a swift with an unhatched egg....like I call-pregnented cars which will never deliver and ultimately suffer from miscarriage....I asked them-does your so called dzie have magic seats? audio controls on steering? Tilt steering? or defogger with wiper for safety? or ABS and airbags? or even 90 horses from 1.2....your nannys just have underpowered 1.3s with 87 horses and some of your cars didn't even have wheelcaps...really looks like a villagers "badi gaddi" etc...."

and there you go, people running away quibbling their heads..feeling embarrassed on if I would stop a hapless owner of a dzire lxi or ldi and want to ask him, poor guy will roll down windows sweating and will feel shortchanged....
Talking of the Dzires with Monkey-proof ORVM's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
My aunt fits into every category you guys mention.

She drives an indica 2000/01 model diesel (hard on clutch and is a dead car) and was convinced to pick up an i10 automatic kappa. For a month she kept cribbing that the i10 is slower off the signals and her indica was so fast off the blocks.

I was

Off the topic,

she was presented a panasonic LCD tv, migrating from their 98 philips. She still claims the lcd tv clarity is poorer compared to her philips.
You should've convinced her for a Pocket Rocket like Getz, wonder how her reaction would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The Yacht one, a creative way of taking a dig at the Indian consumer. Anyhow, it's Shameless indeed.

Whenever I crib about the lack of torque in a loaded Xing on an uphill slope and talk of a much more powerful car, my uncle is sometimes like 'Kaha chalayega'? Considering the traffic mess in Delhi, he's right to some extent but Petroheads are headstrong people, difficult to convince.
Old 18th July 2010, 00:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
"Anna! Punto kidilan vandy alle? (Punto is a very good car!) " - an Auto rickshaw driver when I went to a small workshop to fit the HSR number plate
Translating in spirit that would read like ' Punto is a rockin' vehicle, bro!'

A family friend of ours once told us that safety belts are not suitable for our country. The example he gave was that a 'US-return' relative of his, wearing a seat belt, once got stuck in his vehicle which turned turtle after hitting a median. If he hadnt worn the seat belt, it would have been easier to pull him out!!

I told him that this guy was worth pulling out since he had worn the set belt. Otherwise they could have given him a state burial along with the vehicle
Old 18th July 2010, 02:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was shopping for a LCD TV in 2008 and instead ended up buying a Philips 100 hz CRT HDTV (model: 29PT8836/94) which can do 1080i (not 1080P). Pure bliss !
By this statement alone, I would have guessed that you'd have bought a Punto. I think it's the way we think, instead of going with the herd.
Quote:
Lesson: You cannot identify probable petrol heads on the basis of their education/background.
Very true, in fact many auto-drivers/taxi wallahs, who drive their own vehicles, love their vehicles. That is why they don their pride and joy with weird stickers and paint jobs. While that might not seem to be in good taste to us, it can be taken as a measure of their love for the car/auto (not always, but mostly). In that sense, they are true petrolheads at the core.
Old 18th July 2010, 04:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

- why wear a seatbelt ?, the belt is so loose anyway when i pull it and not even holding you back.

- a common take on ABS esp by all car salesmen - "ABS is required only if you drive above 100 kmph, otherwise its a waste."
( ABS is most helpful in slippery road conditions esp on curves)

- 1 - does your car give only 10 kmpl in city ??!! very less
2 - how much does yours give?
1- I get good mileage 12 in traffic (the perception of a car being fuel efficient changes drastically even if it gives 1 or 2 kms extra per litre.)
Old 18th July 2010, 06:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

Come on guys. If people want to buy their cars based on FE, there's nothing wrong with it. Its not irritating logic or idiotic and does not belong to this thread. Its like saying every person who takes pictures must own a DSLR camera. Some people are passionate about some things and we all should accept and respect it.
Old 18th July 2010, 07:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

The funniest I have heard is one old guy telling me I don't know how to drive because I rev the engine. "Shift up at 2000RPM!" he says. "This thing idles at 2000RPM. It's not your old Amby, Sir.", I politely told him. He just shook his head and walked away, making the best impression of 'Kids today, pfeh!'.
Old 18th July 2010, 07:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Maruti (or just any ad for that sake) is just playing psychology with the minds of the junta. This ad will make you feel implicitly that if you are going away from maruti, then you are getting away from the crowd, which some people may feel insecure.

No offence meant to maruti owners/fans, but the way some people say things, like, 'you cant go wrong with any maruti' just pulls out the logic from the decision of car purchase.
Old 18th July 2010, 07:57   #28
BHPian

One fine day me and my friend were struck in traffic and their was a bus in front of us on which ABS was written (obviously this was just a sticker job bus was not having ABS) my friend on seeing it told me “what’s the fun of installing ABS in a bus? The driver won’t even use it!”
And one more according to my friend Verna and Swift got same engines as they got similar acceleration feel!
Old 18th July 2010, 08:45   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
for_cars1 : .. the perception of a car being fuel efficient changes drastically even if it gives 1 or 2 kms extra per litre.
If you want to compare FE, then also look at % improvement than just numbers. That 1 or 2 kmpl means 10% or 20% better FE. A fair improvement.
Old 18th July 2010, 09:01   #30
BANNED

One simple fact. Follow the age old adage

He who knows not, and who knows not that he knows not is a fool, leave him....

In India we have been brought up on the duopoly of Amby and FIAT and have never grown out of it. I remember in 1979 when I bought my Padmini Deluxe I was crucified for wasting money, and also for losing one seat due to the buckets.

Most Viewed