Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 19:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Not sure this is an idiotic comment. I have seen myself, when music system of heavy load, or head light turned on while car idling, it automatically increases engine RPM by around 100 rotations. Also noticed if I go below 900 RPM in tight traffic, ECU unit cut off AC compressor to reduce load on engine. So I feel this could affect average FE.
Yes. I've noticed my car idle at 100 rpm more, at least with the high beam.
Old 18th July 2010, 19:52   #47
BHPian

Heard this from some senior alumni frm my b-school -
Person1:"my wife's i10 automatic gives 16-18 kmpl in traffic with AC on: best car you know"
Person2:" But for slopes and hills automatic is not good, you need manual geared car"
Person1: "yes yes, we never take that i10 to hills. For hills you need some strong car, like the Indica. All these foreign cars can't handle Indian hills man!"

I am just standing there dumb-struck. Thought about talking sense to these people and then realising the enormity of the task, just kept shut!

As someone said, education has no real relevance here. And, yes I have heard the 'strong-as-a-Inidica/Amby' comment quite often but I somehow manage to get dumb-struck each time I hear that!
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2010, 20:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

When I bought my Safari, my MIL told me it is too big to be driven on Bangalore roads - "either you will bang into someone, or someone will bang into you"! And my wife has steadfastly refused to try driving it - "it is too big for me to control". There are many people who have asked me "Don't you feel more tired after driving such a big vehicle?" Errr... saar, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
... A normal street car ABS system ... if the driver ... brakes correctly, without any lockup, while hitting a pothole or a bump.
Street cars don't have ABS (Trams are called Street Cars in US)!

Jokes apart, going over a pothole or bump will not cause ABS to act. ABS only reads wheel RPM to see if there wheel lock, not how high or low the wheel articulated. If there is wheel lock (can happen on dry even road too) it will act.

Quote:
... the ABS is, IMHO, definitely getting confused, surprised, ...
Programmed electronics don't get surprised - only humans do. And ABS doesn't care about road imperfection. @Samurai was explaining about ABS, though acting correctly as it is programmed to do, interferes with off-road driving. There are situations that ABS infers that it should take corrective action, but are quite normal and expected by the driver in off-road driving.

Last edited by DerAlte : 18th July 2010 at 20:36.
Old 18th July 2010, 20:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

From the Bajaj Chetak days:

"Don't use front brake, you will go flying over the handlebars. Use only rear brake"

From the late 90s

"Disc brake for bikes is not good, you will go flying over the handlebars because its too powerful"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
. "This thing idles at 2000RPM. It's not your old Amby, Sir.", I politely told him. He just shook his head and walked away, making the best impression of 'Kids today, pfeh!'.
Only F1 cars idle at 2000 rpm. BMW's Valvetronic engines have achieved 600 rpm idle.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th July 2010 at 17:24.
Old 18th July 2010, 21:03   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While driving in either rain or snow, the ABS never activated, never got confused, and definitely did not activate prematurely unless I, the driver, incorrectly applied excessive brake pressure for the given conditions. It was always driver error and not computer error. Also, vehicle speed was not a factor.
When I say confused, I don't mean like humans do. I am a programmer, so let me use the right term as false positive. I have driven extensively in ABS/TCS equipped car on ice/snow. When you try braking on fresh snow (say 4-6 inches), because of lack of traction, the wheels lock even at very low speeds. Same goes for ice. With experience we all learn not use brakes or use it very carefully in slippery situation. The point I am trying to make here is that ABS is not for slippery road driving.
Old 18th July 2010, 21:06   #51
BHPian

I went to the garage with my accent gls for a body work.
One of the workers at a nearby shop came and peeped into the engine bay and asked me - Saar This car has a six cylinder engine right..? I wanted to say that it had 12 cylinders. He would ve believed that too.

According to my local mechanic Innova is a better buy than a merc.. It can seat 7 and you can add extra ac vents on the roof.
Old 18th July 2010, 21:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

My relative who is planning to buy a new car told me last week " I am going to buy a TATA Aura.
Old 18th July 2010, 21:14   #53
BHPian

This one I have read on a forum, not T-BHP, mind it.
"I got a mileage of @# kmpl with 100% AC and music system

In all probability the person would have been talking about Reva electric. I am sure if you used AC and any other electrically operated stuff, it would reduce the mileage of the car.

Warm Regards
Andy
Old 18th July 2010, 21:25   #54
BHPian

Ha Ha,

I use to hear below statement from almost all the people who are above 60 now , when we brought our first 800.

Fiat ( Padmini ) , ambassador are very good cars compared to Maruti 800.
Reason , "Patra jaad aahe" ( The car body metal is thick )

Nobody cared about the revolution 800 bough in terms of gear shifting , reliability , handling compared to cars of those days.
Old 18th July 2010, 21:46   #55
BHPian

Few months back I along with my BIL was helping his friend (who's a Prof) narrow down on the hatchback he wanted to buy. He was constantly referring to a Hyundai car which in his opinion was really good. It took us more than few seconds to figure out which car he was talking about as he referred the car as Hyundai "ILO".
Old 18th July 2010, 21:58   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Ha Ha,

Fiat ( Padmini ) , ambassador are very good cars compared to Maruti 800.
Reason , "Patra jaad aahe" ( The car body metal is thick )
Does anyone remember the cartoon by Ninan in India Today in the early eighties? The headline of the cartoon was "Jai Japan, Jai Nissan." It was something about the way Japanese goods are making inroads into India.

On the same page, there was also another sketch of a Martui 800 after it had had a brush with a street dog. The dog was shown licking its backside while the front of the car was in shambles!
Old 18th July 2010, 22:21   #57
BHPian

Why put petrol, Diesel Bharo

A few months ago I'm going to a restaurant with a friend of mine, and his friend who I'd never met before then. Both of these guys were then, 1st year students in IIT Powai. We were going in my Civic.
On the way, I stop to fill petrol in the Civic. I ask the Petrol Pump attendant to fill regular unleaded petrol.
My friend's friend (just a reminder, this guy is in IIT Powai), tells me,
"Arrey what are you doing putting petrol in your car, you should put diesel, it is 10 rupees less and gives better average."

I was so stunned at hearing this statement, I couldn't even muster up the courage to correct him.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 18th July 2010 at 22:23.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2010, 22:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Only F1 cars idle at 2000 rpm. BMW's Valvetronic engines have achieved 600 rpm idle.
Mine idles at 800RPM. Eesh, ever heard of hyperboly?
Old 18th July 2010, 22:55   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
A few months ago I'm going to a restaurant with a friend of mine, and his friend who I'd never met before then. Both of these guys were then, 1st year students in IIT Powai. We were going in my Civic.
On the way, I stop to fill petrol in the Civic. I ask the Petrol Pump attendant to fill regular unleaded petrol.
My friend's friend (just a reminder, this guy is in IIT Powai), tells me,
"Arrey what are you doing putting petrol in your car, you should put diesel, it is 10 rupees less and gives better average."

I was so stunned at hearing this statement, I couldn't even muster up the courage to correct him.
Now this one takes the cake! Are you sure he wasn't kidding? If he wasn't then i am really worried with the selection process at IITs . Agreed he is in first year but atleast this basic knowledge is expected from a guy in college(having passed high school) , let alone one in IIT!
Old 18th July 2010, 23:18   #60
BHPian

I can recollect two separate incidents
a. ABS - When I insisted on waiting for a ABS equipped Santro, the salesman went - Saar - its a waste of Rs 18k. It wont add to the resale value of the car and it's useless in Bangalore city traffic. Needless to say, I stuck to my decision, and the ABS proved its worth in a situation - read it here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...saves-day.html

b. Seatbelts - I expect anyone who sits in my car to wear seatbelts - at least at the front. Most comply, except one of my cousins. His argument is - Seat belts are for learners!

Most Viewed