Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 00:34   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
A few months ago I'm going to a restaurant with a friend of mine, and his friend who I'd never met before then. Both of these guys were then, 1st year students in IIT Powai. We were going in my Civic.
On the way, I stop to fill petrol in the Civic. I ask the Petrol Pump attendant to fill regular unleaded petrol.
My friend's friend (just a reminder, this guy is in IIT Powai), tells me,
"Arrey what are you doing putting petrol in your car, you should put diesel, it is 10 rupees less and gives better average."

I was so stunned at hearing this statement, I couldn't even muster up the courage to correct him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amulu10 View Post
Now this one takes the cake! Are you sure he wasn't kidding? If he wasn't then i am really worried with the selection process at IITs . Agreed he is in first year but atleast this basic knowledge is expected from a guy in college(having passed high school) , let alone one in IIT!
To answer you question, Yes, he was serious. This guy doesn't own a car or know anything about them.
He's one of those guys from some village, who study really really hard and thus do end up getting into IIT. You find a lot of these types in the IIT's and various engineering colleges, who mug up the text books, but don't have a lot of real life knowledge beyond that, yet they are able to score very high on the entrance exams and tests by sheer hard work and effort.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 19th July 2010 at 00:53.
Old 19th July 2010, 00:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

Tyre & Air Pressure

I asked the guy near the petrol pump filling air to reduce the air, which he did not intend to, as it was more than the recommended one.

"Sir jee, rehne do nahin to dubara jaldi aana padega!"

Leave it like that, else you will have to back again earlier.

What a logic! Felt like as if tyre is like a fuel tank.
Old 19th July 2010, 01:24   #63

Recently when I got an Acura, a friend of mine was asking me over the phone "which car did you get?" I said "Acura TL" he was like "ohh (sounded un-impressed) koi dusra accha japanese car kyon nahin liya like Toyota Honda"? ...I didn't know how to explain..
Maverick0129 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2010, 06:17   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0129 View Post
Recently when I got an Acura, a friend of mine was asking me over the phone "which car did you get?" I said "Acura TL" he was like "ohh (sounded un-impressed) koi dusra accha japanese car kyon nahin liya like Toyota Honda"? ...I didn't know how to explain..
Congrats on your Acura TL. About 10 years back when I got my Acura TL, many of my desi friends told me "Geez, you wasted money, Acura TL is same as Honda Accord with Acura badge, should have got the Accord and saved a bundle."
Old 19th July 2010, 07:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
To answer you question, Yes, he was serious. This guy doesn't own a car or know anything about them.
He's one of those guys from some village, who study really really hard and thus do end up getting into IIT. You find a lot of these types in the IIT's and various engineering colleges, who mug up the text books, but don't have a lot of real life knowledge beyond that, yet they are able to score very high on the entrance exams and tests by sheer hard work and effort.
Do I detect an undertone of sarcasm? Though anyone will be expected to possess this basic info, if someone does not know it (because he or the immediate family does not own a car) it does not make him an ignoramus. Surprising from an IIT student though. Any city urchin will have this knowledge, but does that make him better than this guy? Kudos to him if he got in to IIT from such a rural background. He will buy plenty of cars after graduating, and then acquire all the info about them. Right now his mind is focused elsewhere, that is all!
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2010, 07:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Mine idles at 800RPM. Eesh, ever heard of hyperboly?
Not to be used in a technical conversation when taking to someone who doesn't know about cars. He might have actually trusted you only to be corrected by someone else later.
Old 19th July 2010, 08:04   #67
Senior - BHPian

Dude, I said it in Malayalam. Doesn't exactly translate straight. And he knew I was not exactly pleased. This is the same person who, when told it is automatic and needs no gear changes, asked me how turn my car around. "No gear, so no reverse gear. So..."
Old 19th July 2010, 08:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I bought my Safari, my MIL told me it is too big to be driven on Bangalore roads - "either you will bang into someone, or someone will bang into you"! And my wife has steadfastly refused to try driving it - "it is too big for me to control". There are many people who have asked me "Don't you feel more tired after driving such a big vehicle?" Errr... saar, why?
I too had a similar experience recently, some of my distant relatives on seeing me drive in with a safari were wondering if it is not too strenous to drive it, so another wit piped up saying "he had a sumo before, so compared to the "heaviness" of sumo, Safari is nothing!!"

Another misconception, this time from a tbhpian, was "why do you say parking can be problematic for the safari with 4x4"?
When asked what he meant, his reply was "In 4x4, you can do it easily as all 4 wheels can be steered".
Me and another Tbhpian with me were like .

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 19th July 2010 at 08:36.
Old 19th July 2010, 09:05   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Your friend's statement is not stupid. Usage of electrical/electronic equirments affect fuel efficiency. The electrical power comes from the battery and the battery in turn is charged by the engine.
That's not the whole truth. You have alternator for that.

The alternator runs on a smaller pulley as compared to engine drive shaft. In simple terms, your alternator magnet rotates faster than your engine, powered by engine; thus increasing output while idling. When you say powered by engine, doesn't mean that with higher usage of electrical equipments your power consumption goes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Not sure this is an idiotic comment. I have seen myself, when music system of heavy load, or head light turned on while car idling, it automatically increases engine RPM by around 100 rotations. Also noticed if I go below 900 RPM in tight traffic, ECU unit cut off AC compressor to reduce load on engine. So I feel this could affect average FE.
Dude, I am not so sure about your engine rev going up. It should not. Above rationale holds true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
Off-Topic:

What does happen when the reverse gear is engaged by accident? Ive never really known this...
Amit, in such a case, first thing to get damaged will be your gear threads. The collar (engager) would not be able to engage with the reverse rotating gear. You will hear a KKHHRRRRRRR sound as a warning.

Last edited by prateek99 : 19th July 2010 at 09:23.
Old 19th July 2010, 09:58   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats on your Acura TL. About 10 years back when I got my Acura TL, many of my desi friends told me "Geez, you wasted money, Acura TL is same as Honda Accord with Acura badge, should have got the Accord and saved a bundle."
Thanks Samurai! I hate it when people compare Acuras with Hondas and Lexus' with Toyota etc....

on another note, do you still have your TL? is it a 2G?
Old 19th July 2010, 10:34   #71
Senior - BHPian

If you Own a Safari these sort of comments comes as a package , The recent one was from a prospective buyer from ANHC who took a ride in co-passangers seat,He asked why did you buy this ? I replied ride quality , GC and ability to do long distance drives.

Then he replied , "Lekin Honda City le sakte they na itne hi paise main"

@Prateek99 : Yes Alternator is there but energy does not come out of nothing,
If an alternator is loaded it loads the engine in turn , shaft of a loaded electrical generator ( Alternator here) will always take more torque to be rotated from engine then unloaded one ( Lenz law in application ).
On a small car you can see this very well turn on all the lights , fog lamps , Amplifier etc and the RPM goes up by a little.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
On a small car you can see this very well turn on all the lights , fog lamps , Amplifier etc and the RPM goes up by a little.
That is correct. In my Alto the RPM goes up a notch even when I switch on the parking lights. I have noticed it many times during idle, when everything else was off.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:55   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If you Own a Safari these sort of comments comes as a package , The recent one was from a prospective buyer from ANHC who took a ride in co-passangers seat,He asked why did you buy this ? I replied ride quality , GC and ability to do long distance drives.

Then he replied , "Lekin Honda City le sakte they na itne hi paise main"

Same here from another safari owner
Another comment i have heard is "why did'nt you buy an innova which can seat 8 people"
Old 19th July 2010, 11:03   #74
Senior - BHPian

A lot of people still consider Amby as the benchmark in ride quality.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Same here from another safari owner
Another comment i have heard is "why did'nt you buy an innova which can seat 8 people"
infact i think every scorpio & safari owner faces the same dilemma! "why not innova?" innova has become like the standard choice for those looking for a 8 seater in 10 lakhs!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks