Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 11:05   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
A lot of people still consider Amby as the benchmark in ride quality.
It is, if you sit in the back seat!
Old 19th July 2010, 11:13   #77
Senior - BHPian

When I bought my Civic, some of my relatives and neighbors at my home town could not even recognize it. They asked if it is an imported car and if it is how it could run on "Indian roads" ? What happens if there are gutters in the road and above all what if it rains heavily like in Kerala? And what about spare parts? Will regular petrol work on this? According to them, these cars are not suitable for the roads in Kerala and best suited for "excellent roads" in places like Bangalore ! They've never seen Bangalore for sure... Immortalz and other Civic owners of Kerala, I think you should migrate to Bangalore
Old 19th July 2010, 11:27   #78
Senior - BHPian

When I was planning to buy a Scorpio, I got a wise crack "You will drive it or it will drive you" referring to my slender 5'11 frame.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:36   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
@Prateek99 : Yes Alternator is there but energy does not come out of nothing,
If an alternator is loaded it loads the engine in turn , shaft of a loaded electrical generator ( Alternator here) will always take more torque to be rotated from engine then unloaded one ( Lenz law in application ).
Yes buddy, but the question here is 'whether higher usage of electrical equipments results in higher fuel consumtion?'. The loading is constant and does not vary with your electrical usage.

Quote:
On a small car you can see this very well turn on all the lights , fog lamps , Amplifier etc and the RPM goes up by a little
When you have all of them ON, the voltage requirement is higher than the battery capacity. In such case, your alternator comes to aid directly.

I still trust that with just Music System and Head Lights ON, there will not be any increase in fuel consumption.

phew! And this was supposed to be a funny thread.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:07   #80
BHPian

Back in my home state Kerala, I often witnessed (irritating) praises on Amby - "safe", "powerful", "comfortable". While I do agree that the back seat is a sofa, the first two are not true at all - (considering that most of the comments are from taxi owners who used to drive the Nova).

In the IT crowd in Bangalore, the most often heard comment is "Buy a Maruti always as the service network is here to stay for ever". True, but never look elsewhere at all?
Old 19th July 2010, 12:10   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek99 View Post
Yes buddy, but the question here is 'whether higher usage of electrical equipments results in higher fuel consumtion?'. The loading is constant and does not vary with your electrical usage.
No it will not constant always if you are putting a 600W (peak) amplifier for instance and have upgraded lights to 90/100 then once you turn on lights the load of alternator is more so engine needs more torque to turn.
In fact on small cars ( which have smaller AH alternators ) you can see headlights flickering with beats of music this is because when Amp is running towards it's peak it provides uneven load on electrical system.
Quote:
When you have all of them ON, the voltage requirement is higher than the battery capacity. In such case, your alternator comes to aid directly.
Current requirement actually , Volatge is supposed to be constant , If the load ( current requirement) is more then only voltage will dip.
Quote:
I still trust that with just Music System and Head Lights ON, there will not be any increase in fuel consumption.

phew! And this was supposed to be a funny thread.
Even with stock music system and lights ECU is designed to up the RPM when they are switched on and reduce when off in some cases to give maximum fuel efficiency test using a Multimeter and a ODB II scan gauge in ECU equipped small cars to check yourself.

Is it not funny now
Old 19th July 2010, 12:27   #82
BHPian

when I picked my bullet. "You can get a Nano and also save some money for petrol"
Old 19th July 2010, 12:47   #83
BHPian

Quote:
you can see headlights flickering with beats of music this is because when Amp is running towards it's peak it provides uneven load on electrical system.
How will this increase fuel consumption?

Quote:
Even with stock music system and lights ECU is designed to up the RPM when they are switched on and reduce when off in some cases to give maximum fuel efficiency test using a Multimeter and a ODB II scan gauge in ECU equipped small cars to check yourself.
I would not like to believe that alternators are not designed keeping minimum requirement (Music System and Head Lights) of the vehicle in mind. RPM going up everytime you switch ON the light doesn't sound proper to me.

Enlighten us with any text you have on this matter.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:48   #84
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
"Arrey what are you doing putting petrol in your car, you should put diesel, it is 10 rupees less and gives better average."
This takes the cake dude!

By the way just recollected one incident from my office,

My company owns one innova and one optra, explicitly for the guests (by the way both of them are petrol). One fine day, while chatting with the admin personnel (not head but one who looks all transport related matters), he mentioned that as both cars are aged, will be replaced sooner. He is already looking for the cruze to replace optra and innova by the new one (again both petrol). I suggested him to go for diesel ones as both the current cars do not run any lesser than 50k per year.
He rejected immediately saying "Truck aur bus ke liye thik hai re. Car petrolwali hi chahiye. Waise bhi diesel cars are costlier to buy. They also have lesser power output aur Diesel gadi ke maintenance par bahot kharcha hota hai"

Note: Once again this guy handles transport for our company
Old 19th July 2010, 12:58   #85
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I too had a similar experience recently, some of my distant relatives on seeing me drive in with a safari were wondering if it is not too strenous to drive it, so another wit piped up saying "he had a sumo before, so compared to the "heaviness" of sumo, Safari is nothing!!"

Another misconception, this time from a tbhpian, was "why do you say parking can be problematic for the safari with 4x4"?
When asked what he meant, his reply was "In 4x4, you can do it easily as all 4 wheels can be steered".
Me and another Tbhpian with me were like .

I had seen a Mazda 626 with all wheel steering(AWS). That feature was many time misunderstood for AWD ( all wheel drive - or 4x4) and vice versa.

I had driven that care once and believe me, it was super convinient to turn and park.

I had not seen any car with AWS after 90s, I guess this feature was dropped.

Regards,

JLS
Old 19th July 2010, 13:00   #86
BHPian

This one happened just now. My wife got a call from her cousin who is jealous that we bought a Punto compared to her I10. She hadn't seen the Punto before and now she says that the I10 looks much better than the Punto and that the Punto looks just like the Indica. Infact , according to her , the Punto is just a copy of all cars like Indica, Swift etc. Another comment, I10 is as big as the Punto and that her husband measured the lengths of both cars personally.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How will this increase fuel consumption?
Law of conservation of energy , Please do some search on why torque required to turn shaft of a loaded generator should be more one with less load.

Quote:

I would not like to believe that alternators are not designed keeping minimum requirement (Music System and Head Lights) of the vehicle in mind. RPM going up everytime you switch ON the light doesn't sound proper to me.

Enlighten us with any text you have on this matter.
Don' believe then you are fully entitled to hold your views.

This may not sound proper to you but it sounds very prim and proper to Maruti udyog limited and possibly many others who want's to keep the idle RPM to bare minimum to give best fuel efficiency.Many Maruti owners have vouched on this thread.

There can not be any documentary evidence best is you invest some money in buying an ODB tool like scan gauge and a multimeter and plot the graph of load vs RPM to check yourself or take help of any friendly neighborhood garage who can do this for you.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:12   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
My reply," you call dzire a badi gaddi? I mean come on, it looks like a swift with an unhatched egg....like I call-pregnented cars which will never deliver and ultimately suffer from miscarriage....I asked them-does your so called dzie have magic seats? audio controls on steering? Tilt steering? or defogger with wiper for safety? or ABS and airbags? or even 90 horses from 1.2....your nannys just have underpowered 1.3s with 87 horses and some of your cars didn't even have wheelcaps...really looks like a villagers "badi gaddi" etc...."

and there you go, people running away quibbling their heads..feeling embarrassed on if I would stop a hapless owner of a dzire lxi or ldi and want to ask him, poor guy will roll down windows sweating and will feel shortchanged....
Most of the things / features you mentioned are available in both Zxi & Zdi versions. So you cant say Jazz is best than Dzire. Though Jazz is good car, its one of the flop cars. Its very costly too. So people will definitely look for better options. Also Diesel Dzire's economy Jazz cant match in dreams as well.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:23   #89
Senior - BHPian

After paying a shade above 10 lakhs my dad still finds the scorp' to be a truck. He casually makes comments saying that lets not go by the lorry we could as well use the car. Puts me off completely.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:23   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Please do some search on why torque required to turn shaft of a loaded generator should be more one with less load.
I fail to understand how a flickering headlight is related to torque.

Quote:
Don' believe then you are fully entitled to hold your views.

This may not sound proper to you but it sounds very prim and proper to Maruti udyog limited and possibly many others who want's to keep the idle RPM to bare minimum to give best fuel efficiency.Many Maruti owners have vouched on this thread.
You mean a faulty design? RPM going up with just your stock headlights ON.

Quote:
There can not be any documentary evidence best is you invest some money in buying an ODB tool like scan gauge and a multimeter and plot the graph of load vs RPM to check yourself or take help of any friendly neighborhood garage who can do this for you.
It seems you have done some study. We are all eyes for your results.

Most Viewed