Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 16:19   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
SupremeBaleno that was a Indigo CS i think. Yes, it has some 23.xx kmpl and Tata had cleverly(sic) compared it to Swift Dzire.
Well two boot paste jobs are comparable isn't it ?

@ Baleno: Indigo Cs is lighter IMHO then Vista and has different engine ( DiCor 1.4 renamed to CR4 ) and different gear box so fully possible it is more fuel efficient.

Last edited by amitk26 : 21st July 2010 at 16:27.
Old 21st July 2010, 16:20   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Often heard from desis in the US

Friend: I bought the Camry
Me: great, did you get the V6?
Friend: No the V4
Atleast the guy knows he bought the 4 cylinder version ! Give him half the credit at least
Old 21st July 2010, 16:41   #168
BHPian

I had been to a Mahindra-Renault showroom where the sales rep was explaining me the features of the car. when I asked if the car had Airbags , he said they are not required for the city. When I told a friend about this he said have a driver instead of Airbags
Old 21st July 2010, 16:52   #169
BHPian

City S vs. Civic

I once overheard couple of my colleagues discussing the variants of ANHC and one guy confidently mentioned that there is really no difference between the ANHC Sports variant (I guess the one with paddle shifts) and Civic. They even look the same !

Other commonly heard ones (mentioned here in t-bhp too) is the aversion to Airbags as what if they deploy when a cyclist nudges the car.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:26   #170
Senior - BHPian

Talking of airbags, I have a doubt. Will they be good enough for the entire service life of the car, even if not deployed ever? Will they need replacement periodically and if yes, will they cost a lot?
Old 21st July 2010, 17:29   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Talking of airbags, I have a doubt. Will they be good enough for the entire service life of the car, even if not deployed ever? Will they need replacement periodically and if yes, will they cost a lot?
Not sure about that, except if they do deploy in the long run, you may have one dusty survivor !!
Old 21st July 2010, 17:42   #172
Senior - BHPian

I went for a TD of Ford Fiesta Dsl during it's launch.

Another customer: Petrol option hain?

Me: Two engines 1.4 & 1.6.

Another customer: 2 engines in 1 car?
Old 21st July 2010, 17:57   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Airbags are good for lifetime of a car (not lifetime of a human!). Generally they do not need to be replaced if not deployed, but if airbag sensors go wrong - the dash light will let you know. I invest in airbags as an investment to save my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Not sure about that, except if they do deploy in the long run, you may have one dusty survivor !!
One dusty survivor reporting here!
Old 21st July 2010, 19:24   #174
Senior - BHPian

My friend: M800 has a rear wheel drive(Myself: Why Audi then?)

I've one episode to share as well. One of my friend is just crazy about cars. His PC wallpaper shall not have anything other than a sports car. His favourite is Audi R8, 370Z etc.)

Background
Around early 2005, another of my friend had to visit a Maruti service center so he took him along, considering that he has tremendous knowledge about cars. He had to get the damaged rear axle of his car changed.

Main story
Once he was talking about NFS Most Wanted(Video game). He said he loves the rear wheel spin when the car is suddenly started at high revvs from a standstill and the resulting smoke generated by the burning rubber. Then he said that he'll love to try something similar with his M800 soon.
I told him that it is not possible as 800 is a front wheel drive.
He said "No. 800 is a rear wheel drive. Kyunki usme axle hota hai. Main us din apne dost ki 800 ka axle change karwake laya tha."
(800 has a rear wheel drive as it's got an axle. I know it's got an axle as I recently got the axle of my friend's 800 changed)

Decided not to take the discussion any further.
I asked myself, Why do people buy quattro then?

About a month later, he called me to tell that I was right. He went to a mechanic and got to know that 800 does not have a rear wheel drive. I'm sure he must have been trying to a do a burnout with his car.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:02   #175
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, the life of the Airbags if not used is 10 years after which the whole assembly has to be replaced and new airbags have to be installed. The replace will cost anything north of 25k.

Last edited by MihirC : 22nd July 2010 at 14:04.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:17   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
AFAIK, the life of the Airbags if not used is 10 years after which the whole assembly has to be replaced and new airbags have to be installed. The replace will cost anything north of 25k.
We used a 12 year old airbag equipped car without any hiccup or sensor errors in US. So I do not think that the 10 year old thing is a norm.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:42   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
when I picked my bullet. "You can get a Nano and also save some money for petrol"
Haha exactly the same thing I heard! I also heard a thing about you could get two splendors but I just moved away from the conversation...
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:50   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
We used a 12 year old airbag equipped car without any hiccup or sensor errors in US. So I do not think that the 10 year old thing is a norm.
I was a bit ambiguous in what I wrote, But I remember reading it somewhere on T-BHP, I guess it was a post by GTO,that the average life of an unused airbag is around 10 yrs. Could be more as well like in your case.
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:19   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
I asked myself, Why do people buy quattro then?
Becuase the Quattro can carry 4 people ?
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:58   #180
Senior - BHPian

In a mahindra showroom when i went to book a Scorpio mHawk (in 2008 when scorpio refresh with 4x4 was not launched)-

Me: i need mHawk with 4WD.
SP: sir, 4WD is not available in scorpio.
Me: yes, it is, but in CRDe, not in mHawk.
SP: no sir, i sell thousands of scorpios, i know, there is no 4WD in scorpio.
Me: good for you, but just because you have not sold any, that does not mean, there isnt any!
SP: i am sure sir!
Me: check with your manager.

Meanwhile, i was checking out the functions on the display car. After few mins,

SP: yes sir, you will get one, but its CRDe engine, its made to order, you will get only 7 seater...
Me: i know the remaining... so what was it? how many scorpios have you sold?
SP: :-)
Me: ok, so check whether i can get 4WD in mHawk.
SP: no sir.
Me: check with you manager brother!
SP: i did sir, he said not available.
Me: thanks.

Most Viewed