Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:53   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Interesting topic
I don't know about you guys, but I've heard this from a lot of women. We have a X and Y cars at home (x-swift equivalent, small hatchback, and y being either a sedan or a Innova kinda SUV)
and i drive only the x, why not y? because its too big!
I don't understand the logic, It's the same mechanism, 5 gears, they all shift in the same way, (probably the reverse is different in cars like skoda, and GM) and maximum the indicator switches are reversed but that shouldn't prevent anyone with a valid driving license to stop them from driving a car, because its big! how are they going to get over it if they don't even try?
90% of women drivers i know are basically scared of driving. Its too big is just an excuse
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:59   #197
BHPian

Ironically one of the most idiotic comments I have heard was from meself. This was way back in the mid eighties when i was a 5 yr old kid. My neighbour had bought a FIAT and I had recently bought a BSA SLR cycle. I challenged my neighbour to a kind of 50 feet drag race. a cycle versus a Fiat(it was a 137D or something) as I was sure that my cycle was faster than any other vehicles. He tried explaining me that it was a fuel based car and I would have to pedal. I told him since I can pedal I ll be faster. Weird logic I must say.that day I learnt what it feels and means to be smoked. I didnt give up next day I challenged him again with his enfield and that was worse

Last edited by MihirC : 23rd July 2010 at 14:09.
MihirC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:00   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me@fiat View Post
friend of mine who is looking for his first car told me that he test drove many hatchback and most he loved was Fiat's Ritz!!!!!!

I tried to explain him that ritz is Maruti product where as Punto and palio are from Fiat. he just smiled at me. Being Fiat Fan I couldnt bare it, felt like throwing out this fellow out of local.
Ha ha! Long time ago a colleague told me he had bought a "Bajaj LML Vespa 150 NV"!
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:02   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What would you like to commute in?

Alto or Innova?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:10   #200
BHPian

THis thread is interesting.

Couple of weeks back, I was chatting with a Maruti SP on SWIFT VDI . Told him i was looking for ABS version specifically.

" Why Sir? Its unnecessary, only 1 out of 100 is ABS in swift , its only required if you are driving 150 plus "

To be highlighted is the solid punctuation which is the outcome of his self confidence. !!!
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:54   #201
BHPian

its not about commuting, they havn't even tried the bigger car simply because its too big! On a regular basis, I'd agree, bigger car could be a problem in the city etc, but atleast try driving it, to the closest supermarket if not anything else
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:02   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting topic
I don't know about you guys, but I've heard this from a lot of women. We have a X and Y cars at home (x-swift equivalent, small hatchback, and y being either a sedan or a Innova kinda SUV)
I don't understand the logic, It's the same mechanism, 5 gears, they all shift in the same way, (probably the reverse is different in cars like skoda, and GM) and maximum the indicator switches are reversed but that shouldn't prevent anyone with a valid driving license to stop them from driving a car, because its big! how are they going to get over it if they don't even try?
Women's spacial skills (ability to judge distance) is not as good as Men's. So it is more difficult for most women to drive a bigger vehicle as compared to most men.

There can always be exceptions to the above rule.

And what's wrong with driving a smaller car ? They are more convenient to drive in congested areas.

There are several members on this forum who have several cars, but prefer to drive the smaller car because of the maddening traffic.

I distinctly remember a post from one of our mods, in which he mentioned that he prefers to drive his Santro in the morning during rush hour and uses his Baleno in the afternoon when there is less traffic.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 23rd July 2010 at 15:19.
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:37   #203
gou
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Karizma doing 160 i have not heard,unless its in race trim.
Yes it can happen - down the hill . On serious note, best I have heard (seen video in xbhp) of Pulsar220 going at 153 kmph. Yes otherwise a racetrim, and not stock can achieve that.
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:50   #204
BHPian

Philips CRTs - especially the matchline/pixel plus series ones had excellent SD image quality and panasonic LCDs have horrible SD image quality. If all she watches on the LCD is standard definition, then the philips CRT is definitely gonna look better.[/quote]

Very well said, I do have a LCD as well as a Philips CTV in my house. Sometimes we do feel the clarity of the CTV is much better than the LCD unless we are watching a movie in HD
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:55   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
A family friend of ours once told us that safety belts are not suitable for our country. The example he gave was that a 'US-return' relative of his, wearing a seat belt, once got stuck in his vehicle which turned turtle after hitting a median. If he hadnt worn the seat belt, it would have been easier to pull him out!!

I told him that this guy was worth pulling out since he had worn the set belt. Otherwise they could have given him a state burial along with the vehicle

Loved this statement "they could have given him a state burial along with the vehicle" Brother!! Absolutely spot on.Seatbelts are life savers in most of the cases!!
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:09   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
The more I read this thread, more I recall.

One friend got an old Kinetic Honda, I mean it was really old and he bought it for some 3K or so. He was here for just a few months and needed a vehicle for temporary use for a short commute.

Another friend borrowed it from him, and he asked this guy,

"If I give accelerator too much black smoke is coming.. is that ok?"

"Oh thats ok. Thats just the turbo getting on after some time, turbo will give black smoke".

"Oh cool".

What a laugh we had after this guy left with his turbo, revving away to glory
Wonderful knowledge on turbo. This one made me laugh either
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:10   #207
Senior - BHPian

My one uncle refuses to wear helmet while commuting to work, because his office is just 2 km from his house. A few years ago, his brother died in a bike accident due to one single injury to his unprotected head. Yet this uncle hasn't learnt his lesson :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthp View Post
Loved this statement "they could have given him a state burial along with the vehicle" Brother!! Absolutely spot on.Seatbelts are life savers in most of the cases!!
And if you have the fear of seatbelt getting stuck and you being unable to free yourself (like they show in some hollywood movies - not in bollywood because almost no one in bollywood wears seatbelts), keep a pair of scissors in the glove box .
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:20   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
To answer you question, Yes, he was serious. This guy doesn't own a car or know anything about them.
He's one of those guys from some village, who study really really hard and thus do end up getting into IIT. You find a lot of these types in the IIT's and various engineering colleges, who mug up the text books, but don't have a lot of real life knowledge beyond that, yet they are able to score very high on the entrance exams and tests by sheer hard work and effort.
Very true. That is the difference between "Kamyab" and "Kabil", the very famous dialogue in the film 3 idiots.
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:23   #209
SSB

Excellent thread!

This thread has lit up my dull, waiting for the weekend friday afternoon like fuljhadis on Diwali! Have used all my energy in not guffawing out loud and falling from my chair. Long live TBHP

My two bits:

Just out of curiosity, test drove the Xylo as the captain seats were quite a tempting feature( along with Atul kasbekar's models maybe).

The scene - I stroll on to the parking lot below my office where two smart looking guys from the showroom were waiting to give me the keys. After driving around a bit, i asked him whether this model had ABS. Pat comes the reply -'sir jee. Yeh topic abhi hum discuss kar rahe the. The brakes on this vehicle are so good that if we told our customers that there was ABS, they would just believe it. My reaction - I slammed the brakes, the car 'boated', squealed and skidded to a stop with the tyres locked. I looked at the guys who at least according to their facial expressions realized the futility of their latest 'sales' tactic

Anyway, off the topic, the result of this latest jaunt - going for the safari 2.2 dicor.

Disclaimer - This is NOT intended to be a comparison between the Xylo and the Safari and only my personal views.
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:25   #210
BHPian

Bullet Brakes

This cameup during an office discussion:

Colleague: The Enfield bullet is so good, if you hit the breaks, it stops then and there only!!

Me:

Most Viewed