Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2010, 14:22   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundmenon View Post
>All of my friends(Techies) were under the impression that all the cars were driven by the rear wheels(800,i10...)!!!
> they prefer to use the rear brake in bikes more as the front DISC is too dangerous.
>they hate bikes with only self start(pulser220,fazer..) as it tends to damage the engine more.
>they refuse to adjust the rear suspension of their bikes saying we should not tamper with OE settings and yet complain about how rough the rear suspension is!!
>None knew exactly what 4*4 did..except that u can climb hills with it!!!
>one of my colleagues is going for a Ikon saying that both ikon and fiesta have the same diesel engine, so why pay more!!(i'm also confused here..are both Engines EXACTLY the same?)
Yes the Ikon & Fiesta have the same Diesel engine. Your techie friend is right this time

However, other ones especially the front disc & self starter logic are old school ones & irritating that we listen often from road side mechanics as well (probably due to their inability to attend to any problems with these two).

Regarding the rear wheel drive, I once heard (15 years ago) the one driver of an export house owner, that Contessa had rear wheel drive as compared to front wheel drive of the Ambys, Padminins.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 24th July 2010 at 14:25.
Old 24th July 2010, 18:02   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Your friend's statement is not stupid. Usage of electrical/electronic equirments affect fuel efficiency. The electrical power comes from the battery and the battery in turn is charged by the engine.

Yeah! But how much would a music system drain the battery?
Your argument is like, FE during daytime and night would be different, since at night, we use lamps!

Last edited by F50 : 24th July 2010 at 23:36.
Old 24th July 2010, 21:20   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundmenon View Post
> they prefer to use the rear brake in bikes more as the front DISC is too dangerous.
I remember reading somewhere that the ideal braking composition is 65-35% for Front Disc and Rear Drum brakes on bikes.

I use more of Front Disc on my CBZ*.
Old 24th July 2010, 21:56   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Yeah! But how much wud a music sys drain the batt?
Your argument is like, FE during daytime and night would be different, since at night, we use lamps!
FE during day time and night time can be different because headlamps, fogs, tail lamps and accessory lighting drain anywhere from 300 to 500w electricity of when running full tilt. That is not a measly sum. However, the air conditioning will have to work less because there is no heat from the sun.

A music system? How about one with a four channel and a monoblock amp? More than 1000w? How much power do you think your engine actually makes? Convert BHP to watts. You'll see how much more you'll be burning.

Also, please don't use SMS language when you're on a computer.
Old 24th July 2010, 22:43   #245
BANNED

@Immortalz: 300-500W is about 1/2 bhp. Also, a 1000W music system (PMPO) is only about 100W rms. That too at normal levels may be 20% of that.

Agreed that night time driving, music systems, etc all consume power and hence some fuel, the extra consumption may be much less than what people assume.
Old 24th July 2010, 22:51   #246
Team-BHP Support

But would the cooler air not be more than adequate compensation for that?
Old 24th July 2010, 23:52   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
headlamps, fogs, tail lamps and accessory lighting drain anywhere from 300 to 500w electricity of when running full tilt.
Right on. Added all bulb Wattages in U-VA manual, comes to @ 400W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Immortalz: 300-500W is about 1/2 bhp. Also, a 1000W music system (PMPO) is only about 100W rms. That too at normal levels may be 20% of that.
The total comes to little over half a BHP (1 BHP=750 W).

SG Sir, another question of mine addressed to you in the Euro IV fuel thread is not answered. Answer
Old 25th July 2010, 04:22   #248

Has Money but really Funny

This happened in 2004 when I was doing my 2nd year Mechanical Engineering. My wealthy room-mate from a conservative family based out of a small town got admission to the same course by 'donating' X Lakhs.

I took him along to buy couple of Auto-Magazines.
Him: Are you going to read this book or glance only the pics.
Me:

After some days, he comes to me and says that his dad has decided to buy another 'car' for the family and left the choice to him. I suggested him Me: You already have a small-car(2 yr old Zen) and a Sedan(Ikon), so go for Scorpio or Safari
Him: We are only 4 in the family so why a big car
Me: Your sis is getting married in couple of months and it would be really useful that time
Him: In such cases, we will take two cars
Me: You already have 'cars', go for 'SUVs', The middle row will give you the SOFA comfort
He calls up his dad immediately, and tries to console him on the Scorpio repeating the same words I had told him and gets his reply. He turns to me while his dad is on the phone
Him: My Dad is saying, If you want to sit in a Sofa-sit on it while at home, why on the car?
Me: Do you want AC in your car?
Him: Mmmm..Yes Of course
Me: Why do you want AC in your car if you have it at your home.
His Dad heard it via the Phone. I disappeared immediately and he had a nice lecture about the kind of friends he has made.
Old 25th July 2010, 05:30   #249

Some more from my Wealthy Small Town Friend

Now on a serious note he really needed 2 Cars, One for themselves and other to give away at his sister’s marriage. I showed him the Chevy Optra on the Auto Car Magazine that was about to be launched. He took away the magazine from me and stared at the pics for half an hour and memorized the car’s name.

Couple of weeks later while we were riding on our bikes, we got to see the first Optra on the road which zoomed ahead of us. This Guy accelerated his bike, overtook the optra, put his bike across the car and started screaming at us (we were following behind) ‘Look at this, this is Schewerlat..look at this Schewerlat’.
The Car owner rolled down the windows and looked at us with an unasked question ‘What is he doing?’.
We were like ‘We don’t know him’
Then my friend goes to the Optra owner and tells ‘Saar, I saw this car in the book(read:Magazine)’, then turns to me ‘This the same car, that is there in your book rite?’
We pull him and his bike to the side and let the Optra slip away. Then tell him not to pronounce the ‘t’ in the word Chevrolet and add an additional ‘e’ instead. He was still very excited like person who has seen the film to be released next month.

Me: Why did you behave that way. The magazines publish the specs and pics before launch. You thought I was buying the magazine to look at the pics of existing cars?
Him: Will all the cars be shown in the book before they come on the road.
Me: Yes, like trailers before the film.
He became so obsessed with this point that from the next month onwards, he takes me to buy all the Auto-magazines at his cost. But an additional head-ache, I have to wait till he sees all the car pics to his satisfaction before I could read any article/comparisons .

But spare his ignorance, he was an excellent driver and we would always have to tighten our belts and hold our breath. The only car owner sans accidents in our batch. And yes they did buy two cars, A Skoda Superb for them and a E-Class to give away.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th July 2010 at 10:12. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors, also preview before posting. Thanks
Old 25th July 2010, 06:38   #250
BHPian

One of my colleague who never could decide on purchase of car for last one year recently called to say

Friend: I finally bought the car
Me: which one?
Friend: i10 iRDE
Me: What all you considered to shortlist the car?
Friend: my father-in-law recommended it. It makes lot of noise.
Me: you mean, the engine noise in the cabin.
Friend: I don't know. When you stand on road and i10 passes by, it makes lot of noise. What is cabin noise?
Me:
Old 25th July 2010, 08:43   #251
Senior - BHPian

One of the most common assumptions by people, Diesel is for trucks and petrol is for cars.
Old 25th July 2010, 09:41   #252
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

While doing a TD of a Polo HL petrol from VW Madurai.

Me(to a sales guy): What about the service intervals?

SP: Saar, no need to worrying. We have servicing centre after every 70 kms or 100 kms.

Me:
Old 25th July 2010, 12:19   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
And if you have the fear of seatbelt getting stuck and you being unable to free yourself (like they show in some hollywood movies - not in bollywood because almost no one in bollywood wears seatbelts), keep a pair of scissors in the glove box .
No a stupid suggestion at all.

It is advised to keep a pair of scissors in the glove box to cut the seat belt in case of an emergency.

Rohan
Old 25th July 2010, 13:53   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
No a stupid suggestion at all.
It is advised to keep a pair of scissors in the glove box to cut the seat belt in case of an emergency.
Just wondering, is it really that difficult to press the seat belt release button (no electrics involved here) as opposed to remembering, reaching out to the glove box and make an effort to cut the seat belt? I believe releasing the seat belt button would be lot more easier. Am I missing something here?
Old 25th July 2010, 16:53   #255
BHPian

The seat belt lock is designed not to slip in case of an accident, thus will be very difficult to unlock with weight of the passenger pulling against the lock.

Last edited by jaguar.runs : 25th July 2010 at 17:00.

Most Viewed