Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 14:54   #286
Senior - BHPian

^^ Its like Poclain and JCBs in construction industry. Even after 50 years, most of the Construction industry workers call an excavator as a Poclain and a Back-hoe as a JCB, regardless of the actual make.
"There is a Hitachi Poclain working there" - where Hitachi is the manufacturer and Poclain is the known-name for an excavator!
Old 27th July 2010, 14:57   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
^^ Its like Poclain and JCBs in construction industry. Even after 50 years, most of the Construction industry workers call an excavator as a Poclain and a Back-hoe as a JCB, regardless of the actual make.
"There is a Hitachi Poclain working there" - where Hitachi is the manufacturer and Poclain is the known-name for an excavator!
Same is the case with "Dalda" right?
Old 27th July 2010, 15:04   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somu_john View Post
I have heard that for mercedes cars dont know how true it is. Onwers could comment.
Well try getting any car on Goan roads,even if the Glass is stuck with fevicol on the dashboard with a lid on top it's bound to spill
Old 27th July 2010, 15:16   #289
Senior - BHPian

It would be better if this thread is renamed as "Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends" or something like that. The present title is an eyesore and very presumptuous.
Old 27th July 2010, 15:19   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Same is the case with "Dalda" right?
Another point for this OT discussion: colgate is still a synonym for toothpaste.
Old 27th July 2010, 15:22   #291
Senior - BHPian

And in the same way Maruti car means 800 and maruti van means omni
Old 27th July 2010, 15:31   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Another point for this OT discussion: colgate is still a synonym for toothpaste.
On this topic, I think there is no better example than Xerox.

Last edited by StarrySky : 27th July 2010 at 15:31. Reason: Spelling
Old 27th July 2010, 15:35   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
On this topic, I think there is no better example than Xerox.
Add to that, Jeep = any kind of 4x4 or SUVs
Old 27th July 2010, 15:42   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It would be better if this thread is renamed as "Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends" or something like that. The present title is an eyesore and very presumptuous.
I agree!

On topic -
I remember a comment by a Mr. Sam Kapasi somewhere on this forum about body colored bumpers and mirrors. I found very funny.

It was something like this:
"I don't want my car to look like someone dipped it in a paint bucket ."
Old 27th July 2010, 16:19   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_carLover View Post
Okay, How about this!!!

Heard from a friend ->

One of his friend had a bought a new car and he brought it to his office for people to see it. When he was chatting he heard heavy revving of his car, he rushed back to see one chap who took the keys from him was stomping the accelerator with the car in neutral.

So here goes the conversation:

-> dude, what are you doing with my car ?
I am checking
-> What ?
The Horse power dude
-> hummm!! Eh !!!

Can you beat that!

Cheers
Dont know how many horses he managed to wake up, hmm.. hope he didnt do damage to the engine during break in period

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Law of Conservation of Energy : Energy can neither be created or destroyed. It can only be converted from one form to another.

An alternator is simply a DC generator (or an AC generator with rectifiers). The load across the output windings change the load resistance and thus the load current. Higher the load, lower the resistance and higher the current flow.

When the alternator is working with no load or little load, the current across the output coil is very low and thus the field set up on the coil is very small. The rotor experiences very little physical resistance "cutting" through this field and the actual alternator shaft requires very little physical torque to keep running. As you add load, the resistant reduces and the field becomes stronger and stronger (provided the rotation of the rotor is kept up and the voltage induction never reduces) and the the rotor experiences more and more resistance as it's magnetic field interacts with the stator's magnetic field. Thus the rotor shaft requires more and more effort to turn as the load increases.

What happens when load on an engine increases? The ECU has to bump fueling to keep RPM constant. FE decreases.

Believe it or not, an alternator does not supply constant current. It is a constant voltage device. The load decides how much current it produces and thus how much torque it requires to produce that current and thus how much petrol the engine needs to produce that current and thus how much FE you lose, you guessed it, producing that current.

You are arguing against the fundamental laws of Physics prateek. Don't make me throw the book at you.

P.S : Some of the terminology and the exact way the fields interact may be wrong. It's been 5 years since I last touched EE. However, I will actually throw the actual derivations at you if you keep this up.
Immortalz Very well explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_tejash View Post
This is true but I did see somewhere that the main case of girl's driving is bad is that the vision in the eyes of a Male is wider than that of a Female making the side visions lower. Like a Wide angle camera lens compared to a normal one.
Though I could be wrong
Very true, I was trying to teach one of my colleague driving. Shortly I noticed that she, used to duck herself when the car moves under flyovers or over bridges. So.. i asked her why ? her reply was.. Yaar it comes automatically i feel scared that it might hit my head so i duck.

But with time, many can change for good. Now she drives a car in the populous city traffic without any fear.

[quote=Him: My Dad is saying, If you want to sit in a Sofa-sit on it while at home, why on the car?
Me: Do you want AC in your car?
Him: Mmmm..Yes Of course
Me: Why do you want AC in your car if you have it at your home.
His Dad heard it via the Phone. I disappeared immediately and he had a nice lecture about the kind of friends he has made.[/quote]

Oh my God, this one is the most hilarious
Old 27th July 2010, 16:54   #296
BHPian

Happened today in college, i was carrying my helmet around a guy asks me, why dont you put that on your bike ?
me: "yaar expensive helmet people might mess with it"
guy: yaar then i wont ever bring my Hayabusa to college ! (in a very serious tone)

The same guy a few minutes later, a swift with a HUGE cloth hanger on rear, and i mean it HUGE, other people ask, what is this ?
me: Its a cloth hanger
everyone laughs
guy: Are you nuts ? It increases downforce and aids handling for gods sake !
Old 27th July 2010, 17:52   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
+1 to that all backhoe loaders are JCB and all excavators were Poclain. Now excavators are known as Hitachi (especially in Andhra).

Do you work for Construction/earth moving machinery company?
Old 27th July 2010, 18:07   #298
Senior - BHPian

^^Yes, I am Mechanical Engineer, working in Refineries, petrochemical and recently Water plants.
Old 27th July 2010, 19:35   #299
BHPian

This weekend drink is going to be a blast courtesy this thread. Here is my contribution, few year back I was traveling with my friend in his CAR at around 11 PM. He seems to be enjoying the drive on the middle of the road. I ask him, why do not you drive in one of the lane may be left or right? For a minute he stare me (as if I had done some crime) and then broke his silent and saying that “you know the purpose of this white line is to guide the driver in night and help him/her to keep the CAR on the central of line” Haaa I was speech less after hearing this from him. After coming out of shock, i tried to explain but he was very sure of his knowledge
Old 27th July 2010, 20:07   #300
Team-BHP Support

This happened 4 days back as I drove the Jeep into the petrol pump. The fueling attendant stares at the dual 4WD levers in the open Jeep:

He: What are those?
Me: They are 4WD levers.
He: (thinking) Ah! For reversing...
Me:

Most Viewed