Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 11:25   #331
BHPian

hilarious comment from my non-mechanical colleague while i was discussing hybrid vehicles with some team mates - he said, in four wheeler's gear box, 4th and 5th gear shaft should be coupled with alternator and the electrical energy produced can be utilized for driving electric motor which will drive the axle. he was just ignoring the fundamental, if alternator is coupled it'll eat power coming from engine. he had taken this debate about an hour. and i gave up, because it was just waste talking to him on such topic.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:50   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeys78 View Post
But on the contrary the white lines has helped me drive in the foggy weather during night times in the ghat regions of kerala where visibility can be very less(less than 5-10 feet).
The markers on and around the roads are there for a reason, especially on highways and it is to give you an idea where/how your vehicle is aligned with respect to the road.

Having said that, on busy city streets they act more like a "road-divider" and if anyone observed carefully, in Bangalore, such "white lines" within the city get often replaced by medians.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:58   #333
Senior - BHPian

Conversation between a very dear female friend of mine and me.About 2 years ago.

Girl : That XYZ guy wont let me ride his R15 because it has gears! Thank God you are there..you will let me ride your bike right ?

Me : Err...my Pulsar has gears too.

Girl : What??!! You are just making this up to discourage me from riding arent you ?
Old 30th July 2010, 12:33   #334
BHPian

check this out.

This is what a guy answered when asked whats the use of airbags n ABS. I wonder how on earth can anyone say this without getting his basics right.
I think people have to be more educated apart from degrees what we earn.

"For City driving Both are waste... In disc brakes itself u can be in control upto 120Kms.
So ABS is NOT a must.

More over if u r hit , rather than u r car or money u r vital.

As per survey, if u cross over 100Kmph in indian roads, and if u r hit, u will get a car upset. and most of the cases leads to Fatal.
So with airbag is a waste.

get a top-end without airbag. As ABS is a craze among car users l. it can be optional. Dont spend money on the both.

according to me both ABS and Airbag are utter waste."
Old 30th July 2010, 14:37   #335
J.Ravi

Nice thread. When I bought my Maruti Suzuki Omni in 1992, one of my maternal uncles advised me against it by commenting that whenever a bus or truck passes or overtakes, it might topple! I had owned it for 12 years without any such untoward accident was an entirely different story.

Old 30th July 2010, 14:44   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Nice thread. When I bought my Maruti Suzuki Omni in 1992, one of my maternal uncles advised me against it by commenting that whenever a bus or truck passes or overtakes, it might topple! I had owned it for 12 years without any such untoward accident was an entirely different story.
Methings it is very much possible.
Old 30th July 2010, 14:50   #337
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2010 at 14:21.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th July 2010, 15:35   #338
BHPian

I've told some noobs that the big red L sign means "Left Hand Drive".
some fools believe me inspite of the driver sitting on the RHS of the car.

once in school a friend mentioned that the Tata Safari [or some such newly launched large SUV type vehicle] could seat 16 people comfortably.

the 4x4 sign lead him to believe that.

We laughed, told him that in a 4x4 all for wheels move the car. & that a fiat is a two wheel drive where only 2 wheels move the car.

he promptly challenged that: "so the other 2 wheels don't move or what?" are you mad

we laughed more and accepted his "superior" knowledge on the subject.

PS: he passed every science exam in school copying from me [except for the board exams where our seating arrangements were changed]
Old 30th July 2010, 15:44   #339
Senior - BHPian

"kitna deti hai"?

the best onelines i heard in the maruti advert on tv!
Old 30th July 2010, 15:55   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
I presume he flunked.
Yup....
guy still owes me 35 coke cans for all the exams he passed because of me.

one more good one.
my friend just asked me whether the Honda City ZX needs petrol or diesel.

i mumbled some profanities, and mentioned petrol.

petrol pump attendants have also confirmed with me that it is indeed petrol that needs to be filled in the car.

I just inquire how many Honda's have ever got diesel filled, some claim there are, others nod and fill petrol.
Old 30th July 2010, 15:55   #341
BHPian

We used to have an Indica (hired) from the office a few years ago, I once asked the driver how many Indigos his agency had, (presumingI'd asked my dad to change to an Indigo,which I did) he replied XX and quickly added "there is no difference, saar, Indigo is Indica with boot, that's all everything is same" in Kannada + broken english.
I was damn pissed, as even after I told him the differences, he was like "Who cares?"

I lectured the very same driver for 15 minutes about wearing seatbelts, in the end he said "Thanks you Saar, but its not comfortable so I won't wear" again, in broken Eng. +Kan. When I told him to think about his family and newborn at home, he just grinned.
Old 30th July 2010, 16:12   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Methings it is very much possible.
The CG of the Omni was very high and during the 800 era ('84 to mid-90s) Omnis turning turtle were common occurence.

Speed also matters. I was young and idiotic and was driving an Omni pretty fast and a bus zoomed by in the opposite direction pretty close by and I could feel the Bernoulli effect. Had I been driving 10 kmph faster, I would've toppled over.

Last edited by Gooney : 30th July 2010 at 16:15.
Old 30th July 2010, 16:21   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
The CG of the Omni was very high and during the 800 era ('84 to mid-90s) Omnis turning turtle were common occurence.

Speed also matters. I was young and idiotic and was driving an Omni pretty fast and a bus zoomed by in the opposite direction pretty close by and I could feel the Bernoulli effect. Had I been driving 10 kmph faster, I would've toppled over.

Haha Bernoulli effect.
planes fly, omnis topple.
+1 to that. just though it was funny
Old 30th July 2010, 16:24   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Haha Bernoulli effect.
planes fly, omnis topple.
+1 to that. just though it was funny
..and you tend to get "pulled" towards a fast moving train if you stand too close by it.
Old 30th July 2010, 16:47   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_tejash View Post
This is true but I did see somewhere that the main case of girl's driving is bad is that the vision in the eyes of a Male is wider than that of a Female making the side visions lower. Like a Wide angle camera lens compared to a normal one.
Though I could be wrong
Kinda off topic, but it is said that men have a smaller viewing angle compared to female. As in, men have a sort of tunnel vission which enables him to focus in one small area and calculate distance, speed and time with ease compared to women.
Stastically, there is a high probability of a male being involved in an accident from the side than a woman.
So watch out over the crossways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks