Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 18:09   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
A few months ago I'm going to a restaurant with a friend of mine, and his friend who I'd never met before then. Both of these guys were then, 1st year students in IIT Powai. We were going in my Civic.
On the way, I stop to fill petrol in the Civic. I ask the Petrol Pump attendant to fill regular unleaded petrol.
My friend's friend (just a reminder, this guy is in IIT Powai), tells me,
"Arrey what are you doing putting petrol in your car, you should put diesel, it is 10 rupees less and gives better average."

I was so stunned at hearing this statement, I couldn't even muster up the courage to correct him.

I have been in some similar situations as well.

One of my friends who is a 4th year Automobile Engineering student when asked about the purpose of the Holes in the Disk brakes, replied confidently that all the holes were "Mounting Points" used to mount the brakes along with the wheels.

Long live Indian Education system
Old 30th July 2010, 22:12   #347
gvr
BHPian

I've got one. When the Tata Sumo was initially released, I've seen at least one of my classmates and one of my driver's say the following.

'In Sumo, First Gear is Reverse Gear'!
And I'd say, 'You mean, Reverse Gear is where First Gear is supposed to be?'
Old 30th July 2010, 22:27   #348

1. My wife asked my engineer friend to Stick a rock to one of the wheels of my car parked on an incline. He did. But when I came back, I saw the rock put in front of the front wheel.

2. When I put on my car's hazard lights as soon as I anticipate hard braking, everybody in the car looks surprised.

3. I insist my passangers to wear seat belts, and many dont wear them as they suffocate.

4. Many of my friends boast that they dont need the OSRVMs or many say that using them is distracting.

5. My CBZ X had a front brake problem. I took it to the dealer and told him that when I use front brake at speeds above 65 kmph the brake skips. Instead me looking into the problem, the mechanic advised me to refrain from using disc brake above 60 kmph,

6. My friend bought a splendor with front disc. Every time we used the disc it pulled the bike to the right. We went to rectify the problem and the HH mechanic said, it pulls to the right as the disc is on the right.

7. My friend invited up to see his relative's Honda GL 1300, A bystander asked "Bullet ka naya model hai kya?"

8. My mechanic while checking the type pressure me my CBZ, "Thoda jyada bharata hun to bahot bhagegi"

9. We hired a Innova which had a worn out rear suspension. Every time on a bumpy road used to bounce a lot, and my co-passengers went "Wah kya suspension hai"

I have more. But think this is enough,
Old 30th July 2010, 22:34   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetaj View Post
3. I insist my passangers to wear seat belts, and many dont wear them as they suffocate.

I guess this is partly due to unavailability of seatbelt height adjuster in most cars. Short people do tend to suffocate as the seatbelt passes by the throat instead by the shoulder and chest.
Old 30th July 2010, 22:56   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvr View Post
I've got one. When the Tata Sumo was initially released, I've seen at least one of my classmates and one of my driver's say the following.

'In Sumo, First Gear is Reverse Gear'!
And I'd say, 'You mean, Reverse Gear is where First Gear is supposed to be?'
This reminds me of when my neighbor bought a Sumo. He was relatively new to driving, and he had stopped the car on the road in front of the house. He had to reverse it but couldn't find out how to do it. I proudly offered to do it for him, he got down from the car and let me take over. Whatever I did, I couldn't engage the reverse gear - couldn't figure out that it had to be pressed down to fall in place. Another neighbor who doesn't own a car, figured out and did it. I realized, "PRIDE GOES BEFORE A FALL." This happened a few years back. That's when I stopped talking like a car expert, and (hopefully) started trying to learn.

Quote:
6. My friend bought a splendor with front disc. Every time we used the disc it pulled the bike to the right. We went to rectify the problem and the HH mechanic said, it pulls to the right as the disc is on the right.
This reminds me of a conversation with a service advisor at Concorde when giving my Indica for service:

Me: ...and do a wheel alignment.

SA: No, not needed.

Me: No, do it.

SA: Why do you want to do wheel alignment saar? Its not needed. Who told you Indica needs wheel alignment?

Me: Please just do it.

SA: Ok tell me saar why you want to do it.

Me: Car pulls to the left.

SA: Car will always pull to the left. It is the design of the car.

Me: No, actually I meant it pulls to the right.

SA: Sorry, I too meant it will pull to the right.

Me: *sigh* what should I say to make you do wheel alignment?

SA: Ok saar I will do it.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 30th July 2010 at 22:59.
Old 30th July 2010, 23:01   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
..and you tend to get "pulled" towards a fast moving train if you stand too close by it.
that is because of the difference in air pressure the train causes in its path as it passes with high velocity, bernoulli's principle again!

even the omni/800 having a feel of getting sucked in may be true, in fact many a time while driving a two wheeler I feel that I am losing control when a volvo or a big truck passes with a high speed! So I wonder why LOL? LOL!
Old 31st July 2010, 20:35   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

1 - This happened when I took my bike(RTR 160) for servicing. I usually use synthetic oil for my engines and unfortunately, that time I couldn't find the specific brand/spec. However, the sales guy at the engine oil shop convinced me to buy a new launch of Castrol semi-synthetic oil.

At the service center, the mech opened my bottle of semi synthetic oil, took a few drops of oil and compared with the 'TVS' oil and told me - SIR, our oil is much cheaper, and it has better synthetic power than this, LOOK!!..

2. Recently during a ride with my neighbor, he was boasting about his newly bought 2000 IKON, and was mentioning that its suspension is superb. And the reason he told that was the rear was really bouncy and the 'springs' were really 'acting', unlike his mahindra 540. .

Actually many people in my place mistake a worn out suspension for a supremely working one. Some say, the suspension gets better with age.

3. The same neighbor, who's car has a endura(1.3) engine claims that endura engine gives better mileage because of its small size and a ROCAM(1.3) engine is low on mileage because of its big size. He was referring to the size as seen from the engine compartment.

4. Again, the same neighbor thinks that, for car's to have better ride quality they have to have huge boot's. For him Manza rides better than a optra because the boot is heavier. And guess what, he loads up his boot on long trips for more 'comfort'.

5. Again, my dear neighbor (same one), happened to drive a fiesta for about 15kms. After the drive he told me that Fiesta is an excellent car, and that it gives 15kms average. I asked him how he calculated its mileage in such a short period.
He replied - 'when I 1st started the car, the DTE showed 375kms and after 15kms, it showed 360kms, see..' I was dumbfounded by his calculation.
Old 31st July 2010, 20:44   #353
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2010 at 12:39. Reason: Direct and Indirect mention of beer/ alcohol is not allowed. Please refer to forum rules. Thanks.
Gooney is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st July 2010, 21:37   #354
BHPian

Quote:
1. My wife asked my engineer friend to Stick a rock to one of the wheels of my car parked on an incline. He did. But when I came back, I saw the rock put in front of the front wheel.
I have more. But think this is enough,
This one is really the piece de resistance! Ultimate man! just goes to prove that we are firmly where we were 500 years ago. Ready for another annexation.
Old 31st July 2010, 21:47   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
This one is really the piece de resistance! Ultimate man! just goes to prove that we are firmly where we were 500 years ago. Ready for another annexation.
Indeed! Awesomeness! Burst out laughing! It looks straight out of a comedy movie scene. Reminds me of the Malayalam movie in which a road roller goes of rolling out of control because the operator could not place the stone in time!
Old 31st July 2010, 21:49   #356
BHPian

Quote:
When I put on my car's hazard lights as soon as I anticipate hard braking, everybody in the car looks surprised.
How do you do that? Or am I missing something here?
Old 31st July 2010, 22:11   #357
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Me--> Give me some spec details of the Figo please.
SP--> Sir the Figo has a 1.2 cc petrol and 1.4 cc diesel engine, blah blah...

Me--> Oh 1.2 cc and 1.4 cc sounds great.
Old 31st July 2010, 23:30   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somu_john View Post
I have heard that for mercedes cars dont know how true it is. Onwers could comment.
Owner's comment
Not even a drop will be in the glass.
Swift/Dzire Suspension is really bad. Hope Maruti will solve the suspension issues in the upcoming 2011 swift.
Old 31st July 2010, 23:57   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. When I put on my car's hazard lights as soon as I anticipate hard braking, everybody in the car looks surprised.
I think this is not really required. Hazard lights are required when your vehicle breaks down in the middle of the road. To alert people that you are not moving. It is also used when you're moving extremely slowly on a highway to alert people that you have a problem.

When you brake hard, your tail lamps and the 'high mount stop lamp' do their job. When you brake hard, there is a fraction of a second for the one behind to realize it.
Old 1st August 2010, 00:04   #360
BHPian

Beat this, the other day I was watching an auto show in some hindi news channel and the guy says ABS stand for "Anti Braking System"!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks