Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 08:58   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
One reason I can think about is in very cold climate (negative temperatures). I have seen people starting their car using remote much before leaving from office so that the snow over it melts and the inside will become hot enough to sit comfortably. May be the same logic applies here.
alright in winter i can understand. but in summer when temperature is 38 degrees then why??? and these people are so lazy that some time they keep the keys in car only.
Old 4th August 2010, 10:32   #407
BHPian

This is really an interisting thread. Here are some beliefs that i heard:-

My Dad:
1) "when a person driving in front of you puts on his right indicator, it means he wants you to overtake him from his right side." i mean why does he want to kill me?!
2) " never use fifth gear unless speeding" he even drives on open streches at 85-90 in third or sometimes fourth in my swift petrol and claims to save more fuel than me driving at same speeds in fifth.
3) " diesels are totally waste of money, they are slow, harsh, oil leaking, less fuel efficient and most of all, very costly to maintain" and don't miss this "especially newer ones as they have more tricky technology" someone please explain him guys, i gave up.

Some Friends:
1) "always add lots of water with less coolant in radiator, this will improve your ac's cooling effect" and he actually does this with his OHC.
2) " drive hard into water collects along the road, this will clean your suspension system"
3) " OHC 1.3 is way faster than octy 1.8 turbo petrol, and thats because skoda sab heavy hai"
4) " poorey dickey mey bass tube, saaman kahan rakhega??" arrey thats my lookout, i prefer sound over luggage spaace.

On my air filter and FFE:
1) sound being low as i prefered "firing accha nahi hai, you should drill some holes on it"
2) "average low, aur kidhar bhagayega?"
3) "irridium plugs? you should put the ones shown on stunt mania"
There are still many many more
Old 4th August 2010, 14:07   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
well this is somehow out of topic. i am staying in Wyoming USA. here when people go to any fast food restaurant,bank or any other place where they have a work for about 15/20 min. they park the car with the ignition on. any reason behind it leaving the car with the ignition on for almost half hour?? here i see only wastage of fuel.
Here is what i observed or understand why they do it that way.

- There are some people who have pets with them, so while to go to collect post, give laundry or get some coffee/foood, it makes sense to keep the pet inside the car rather than taking them everywhere. And for that they require the a.c or heater to keep them cool/hot during the weather. so they leave their cars on.

- They think, for 10-15 mins, if they start and stop the car, it will consume more fuel compared to one that is already running.

- And it saves time and saves them from getting a ticket cited. Since the car is on, the parking officer or police thinks there is somebody inside or close by.

- And the last one, it is carried forward from generations and since during old times fuel use to cost very less, they don't mind keeping the car running, so the younger generation learned this from their parents/grand parents and are implementing it.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:55   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
- They think, for 10-15 mins, if they start and stop the car, it will consume more fuel compared to one that is already running.
Actually,
In the States, some of my American friends believe in this.
Whenever we go to 7-11 or Target, I will park the car and switch it off while waiting for whoever has gone inside to come back.
One of them gave an example of a friend who slept the entire night in their car, with the A.C. on, and the fuel indicator didn't move at all!
Either ways, it is something avoidable. It may cost 100-200 bucks more a month in fuel, which is bearable, but it also pollutes the environment, which isn't acceptable.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:57   #410
BHPian

Once when I went for a TD of Logan, the Sales rep said:
"ABS is required only for small cars, not for big cars like LOGAN".
Old 4th August 2010, 16:35   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Actually,
In the States, some of my American friends believe in this.
Whenever we go to 7-11 or Target, I will park the car and switch it off while waiting for whoever has gone inside to come back.
One of them gave an example of a friend who slept the entire night in their car, with the A.C. on, and the fuel indicator didn't move at all!
Either ways, it is something avoidable. It may cost 100-200 bucks more a month in fuel, which is bearable, but it also pollutes the environment, which isn't acceptable.
To be honest, even i keep the car running when me or my friends go to pick up something from starbuck/7-11 or any other. why switch it off for 5-10 mins. i think the starter/engine will have more load starting it up again after 5-10 mins of break. Also have to be aware of police around, since they always appear out of blue so a car with engine running is a good way to start going ahead or saved by a person inside with engine running.

Next time, i will make sure i ask my friends and colleagues about this. Will be good to hear what they think about this.
Old 4th August 2010, 16:51   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, even i keep the car running when...
Same here, for the same reasons. But (unlike the yankees) I usually turn off the engine after 5 minutes or so.

@lamborghini, agree with you about the air pollution part, but disposing more batteries is also harmful for the environment, esp. lead corrupts the soil like no other except may be mercury.
Old 4th August 2010, 19:17   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
One reason I can think about is in very cold climate (negative temperatures). I have seen people starting their car using remote much before leaving from office so that the snow over it melts and the inside will become hot enough to sit comfortably. May be the same logic applies here.
I think so too. If you pick a car with cold weather package, most often you get a remote start, aimed at heating up the interiors before you step in. I have noted cars left on in Texas also, I guess the heat being the reason there!
Old 5th August 2010, 00:59   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sandeep: How much faster would the battery drain if the car was restarted in 10-15 min say once in a while?
Heck, in India, people switch off the car for 30seconds at signals, more frequently. I have never heard of them complaining about their batteries dying early.
Also, most of the auto shops in the USA have a battery disposal option, where they will dispose of the old battery in an environmentally friendly way for a small fee.
They do the same with engine oil as well.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:47   #415
BHPian

One of my cousins once said:
"Four wheel drive means all four wheels have brakes".
Old 5th August 2010, 11:10   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
well this is somehow out of topic. i am staying in Wyoming USA. here when people go to any fast food restaurant,bank or any other place where they have a work for about 15/20 min. they park the car with the ignition on. any reason behind it leaving the car with the ignition on for almost half hour?? here i see only wastage of fuel.

I have once seen a maintenance truck for a cable company being left idling for over 45 minutes to 1 hour while the guy carried out some repairs.
And it was a Dodge Ram HD , with the larger V8 engine.

Another comment I got recently from a friend : I will go with the ABS version only. I will use ABS everyday, while I wont be using airbags everyday, so why spend ?
Old 5th August 2010, 11:15   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I have once seen a maintenance truck for a cable company being left idling for over 45 minutes to 1 hour while the guy carried out some repairs.
And it was a Dodge Ram HD , with the larger V8 engine.
Was he carrying out some work that used truck as help?

The reason is asked is in CA too workers keep the truck running, but that is because they require some mechanical help from the truck to get things going. So may be that could be the reason why that maintenance truck was on.

It could be an option or else the guy was dumb and forgot to switch it off.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:24   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was he carrying out some work that used truck as help?
Nope, he wasnt using it as a help. Maybe since it was the company's truck. I dunno. But found it pretty amusing. And liked the burble of a large V8 at idle :-)
Old 5th August 2010, 11:45   #419
Senior - BHPian

This happened just after I bought my Ninja and word got around in the office.

One of my colleagues was so interested to know about the bike and the usual questions were asked like price, mileage, etc. When I told him the price, he said - must be 500 cc na? I said no, its a 250cc. Guess what he said after that? He was shocked and replied...

250cc like Yezdi? why is this so expensive?

I was like - i dont know you anymore. goodbye.
Old 5th August 2010, 14:32   #420
BHPian

Its been a year almost since I got my Safari VX, I have a friend who rides with me in the car and still says to me,"You could have bought 8-10 Nano's for the price of 1 Safari.".Sometimes I feel like throwing him out of the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks