Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 14:44   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Its been a year almost since I got my Safari VX, I have a friend who rides with me in the car and still says to me,"You could have bought 8-10 Nano's for the price of 1 Safari.".Sometimes I feel like throwing him out of the car.
Ask him the price of the shoes he is wearing, and then tell him "for that money you could have bought a dozen Hawai chappals"!
Old 5th August 2010, 18:19   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I have once seen a maintenance truck for a cable company being left idling for over 45 minutes to 1 hour while the guy carried out some repairs.
And it was a Dodge Ram HD , with the larger V8 engine.
Something OT: according to National Geographic, one such truck left idle like might have provided the ignition that caused BP's Texas oil refinery explosion in 2005. In that documentary, Nat Geo mentioned that this truck was left idle for a long time near a leaking hydrocarbon pipe (or something like that) and workers could notice its RPM fluctuating (due to air intake containing combustible material).

NOTE (or disclaimer): the Wikipedia article on this gives a different story about the truck.
Old 5th August 2010, 22:20   #423
BANNED

Ok now what will you do there is a friend of yours who say Indiago ,Carolla and Jetta are all the same.

I ve seen some people like that in my life. there was a guy who came to me for advice in buying car.i suggested him to buy alto instead of 800 and the answer was anyway there no difference in between both then why pay more for it ,i was like
Old 5th August 2010, 22:42   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
This happened just after I bought my Ninja and word got around in the office.

One of my colleagues was so interested to know about the bike and the usual questions were asked like price, mileage, etc. When I told him the price, he said - must be 500 cc na? I said no, its a 250cc. Guess what he said after that? He was shocked and replied...

250cc like Yezdi? why is this so expensive?

I was like - i dont know you anymore. goodbye.
That's nothing. There are lot of guys out here in this country whom you show ANY superbike--- Ninja 1400, Hayabusa, Harley, Intruder, Goldwing, Valkyrie, Rune. Now all these bikes are HUUUGE. But you will be asked," modify kahan karaya boss?" That is when you feel, like
Old 6th August 2010, 02:28   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar iswalkar View Post

My Dad:
1) "when a person driving in front of you puts on his right indicator, it means he wants you to overtake him from his right side." i mean why does he want to kill me?!
Dude, this is actually true. Well, atleast some of those huge truck drivers believe so. I usually cover long distances at night and believe me, almost 90% of those truck drivers 'indicate' so that you can overtake them. This is done because during heavy rains, the guy's 'hand signal' cannot be viewed and its quite difficult to overtake a long truck without any signals from its driver.
Old 6th August 2010, 02:35   #426
BHPian

I think indicators have developed different meaning in different parts of the world. I am to familiar with the highway truck right indicator signal to pass. Another one I saw in London was people putting hazard lights on when entering a new road or changing lane which what I found out means thank you to the other driver for letting you go.

Back to topic: At a recent visit to a BMW showroom I was told the bonnet on the new 3 series has got V shaped curves over the bonnet make the engine more powerful. SAY WHAT?
Old 6th August 2010, 13:38   #427

Good Thread

Ha ha these statements do remind me of how the car/bike scene has evolved in our country and yet still we have got miles to go.
This happenes with me a lot:
I own 2 Rajdoot GTS 175cc bikes aka the famous Bobby Rajddots as they are remembered. Now it so happenes that both these bikes have been restored to the best of my abilities and makes me very happy when ever i ride them which is once in a blue moon, now dont go by the size of the bikes cause the are indeed zippy snakes on 2 wheels, hence i never ride them without a helmet, this is what i get to hear when in traffic jams or at busy signals:

1) Wah bhai China bike, kitne ki hai, achha average deti hogi agar china ki hai to,kill me chote kill me.

On other occassions I have been asked by people why do i wear a helmet on such a small bike ( only if they know the kind of pick up and peppiness the bike has ) . Feels wonderful smiling all to myself.
Old 6th August 2010, 16:58   #428
Senior - BHPian

Happened today: There's this guy who is considering different options in sedan type. Just out of curiosity I asked him why sedan. He replied, you don't get the comfort of a sedan in a hatch, because in hatchbacks you are sitting vertically like in a chair whereas in a sedan you are almost lying down and driving .

I then asked him, have you tried sitting in i20?
His reply: No I haven't but I didn't like i10's gear rod, it reminds me of a joystick.

Me: No I was referring to i20, not i10.

Him: I didn't like i10 itself, how will I like i20?

Me: No words.
Old 6th August 2010, 19:23   #429
BHPian

happened long time back, friend of mine...who had just joined driving school.
when i asked him "which car you are learning?"
He replied " Blue"
i almost fainted!!!!!!!!!!
Old 14th August 2010, 23:29   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

OK this is a confession. My wife's friend bought a Manza and it is parked right next to our Swift in the building lot. So wifey went for a hair dressing appointment and came back highly impressed with the rear space in particular and everything in general.

Mrs. Noopster: The Manza is amazing. How much does it cost?
Noopster: <shrug> Must be 7-8 lacs. Why?
Mrs. N: <brightly> We should totally get it as our next car!
N: <horrified> It's not a car. It's a Tata.
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:52   #431
BHPian

i went to buy a battery for my Honda City and the person sitting at the shop was like:

me: car ki battery hai?
him: haan, baitho.
him: kaunsi gaadi hai teri?
me: honda city
him: hmmmmm... (after checking a paper).. d-gal hai?
me: ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????
him: d-gal h?
me: nai uncle, petrol! honda city kabhi diesel nai thi.

me: you have car battery?
him: ya, sit.
him: which car ??
me: Honda City
him: hmmm.. (after checking a paper).. is it d-gal (diesel)?
me: ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
him: is it d-gal?
me: no sir it's petrol! honda city never came with a diesel engine.
Old 22nd August 2010, 20:34   #432
BHPian

Now this is something hilarious I heard just yesterday. My friend is about to buy a Skoda Laura and here's what he says :

Friend : I'm going to buy a Laura.
Me : Cool. So the petrol or the diesel one?
Friend : Ofcourse, a diesel.
Me : Hmm, just make sure you buy from JMD because they are the only trustworthy dealers in Mumbai.
Friend : Ok, I will buy from JMD. BTW, do you know these Skoda's are tested in Germany before their delivery in India?
Me : What??
Friend : Yes, some are tested on German roads before their delivery. So they have the Autobahn sticker on them. You didn't know that?
Me :

(For those who haven't gone through their horror stories, Autobahn is the Skoda dealer in Mumbai and hence the sticker)
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:34   #433
BHPian

The problem with most people is that they go by appearance alone. A lot of people assume that my sister's Flyte is slower than an Activa, simply because it is so compact. I've heard the same things about the Pleasure as well. They also assume that the Dio is really really fast, because nothing that looks so racy could be slow!

I've seen the same attitude towards the Nano as well. Some might remember that the 800 was scoffed at when it was initially launched, with many confident assurances that it would fall apart within months on Indian roads. Ironic that the 800 is the new benchmark, with people recommending a used 800 rather than a new Nano.
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:28   #434
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
While I'm aware that your post was made on a lighter note, I can assure you that Tata has come a long way. I am an Indigo (previous gen) owner since 2007, and was completely blown away by the Manza. In fact, of all the cars that I have test-driven in the last 1 year, the Manza, Fortuner, Figo, Vento Diesel and 525d have impressed me the most. I'd recommend either of these without a second thought.

Also, a request : Lets not make posts that might incite brand wars. Thank you
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:36   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
OK this is a confession. My wife's friend bought a Manza and it is parked right next to our Swift in the building lot. So wifey went for a hair dressing appointment and came back highly impressed with the rear space in particular and everything in general.

Mrs. Noopster: The Manza is amazing. How much does it cost?
Noopster: <shrug> Must be 7-8 lacs. Why?
Mrs. N: <brightly> We should totally get it as our next car!
Are you describing yourself as the "non-petrol head who makes funny logic-less comments ? Brave.

Last edited by cruiser@0523 : 23rd August 2010 at 21:41.

Most Viewed