Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:50   #436
BHPian

C'mon guys, this thread seems to have slowed down a lot...

Earlier I used to get a chuckle or two from each daily visit.

If you folks don't come up with some, I just might have to think really hard and type in a few myself.
Old 24th August 2010, 10:40   #437
Senior - BHPian

I have a friend who claims that Suzuki Cervo is being sold in Mumbai and Delhi and costs just as much as Nano, just because her boyfriend told her so. And nope, not even the team-bhp link on this topic has managed to convince her.
Old 24th August 2010, 21:46   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
I think indicators have developed different meaning in different parts of the world. I am to familiar with the highway truck right indicator signal to pass. Another one I saw in London was people putting hazard lights on when entering a new road or changing lane which what I found out means thank you to the other driver for letting you go.
lol over here in hyderabad, cabbies put on hazards to indicate they are going straight on. Now if you dont give a left or a right indicator you would be going straight on right? So why the hazard indicator???!!! Dumb Idiots!!
Old 24th August 2010, 22:41   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While I'm aware that your post was made on a lighter note, I can assure you that Tata has come a long way. I am an Indigo (previous gen) owner since 2007, and was completely blown away by the Manza.

Also, a request : Lets not make posts that might incite brand wars. Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Are you describing yourself as the "non-petrol head who makes funny logic-less comments ? Brave.
I've read about the Generation 3 Tatas being in a different league from their predecessors. Even if they weren't, my comment (to my wife) was facetious at best and in retrospect, definitely devoid of logic. Hence posted it in this thread.
Old 25th August 2010, 00:21   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvmanoj View Post
lol over here in hyderabad, cabbies put on hazards to indicate they are going straight on. Now if you dont give a left or a right indicator you would be going straight on right? So why the hazard indicator???!!! Dumb Idiots!!

Most of the "claimed petrol heads" too believe the same not only in my place but many parts of the country.
Old 25th August 2010, 01:30   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I have a friend who claims that Suzuki Cervo is being sold in Mumbai and Delhi and costs just as much as Nano, just because her boyfriend told her so. And nope, not even the team-bhp link on this topic has managed to convince her.
No wonder... love is blind

Guess he was trying hard to impress her

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 25th August 2010 at 01:34.
Old 25th August 2010, 09:56   #442
Senior - BHPian

Talking more about indicators, last night I was driving to my house from office. My house is just outside the city and so the road has no traffic, and there are no street lights. One Indica cabbie was driving with his right indicator on. I followed him for a while waiting for him to turn. Then I got frustrated and carefully overtook him from his left and then I noticed in my RVM that he had put his hazard lights on (some dumb people do that when it rains). But his rear left turn indicator was also not working.

Another story: a friend of mine has bought an i10 automatic. She is not confident to drive on the road, so she has hired a guy to teach her. He has told her not to wear seatbelt while driving, because it would restrict her body movement in case she has to take evasive action in a crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
No wonder... love is blind

Guess he was trying hard to impress her
Well said ;-)

Last edited by rohanjf : 25th August 2010 at 09:59.
Old 25th August 2010, 11:28   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
- "I like everything, except this" - another rick driver, pointing to the Exide battery
This guy is awesome!
straight off the mark.
salut!
Old 25th August 2010, 12:13   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I had seen a Mazda 626 with all wheel steering(AWS). That feature was many time misunderstood for AWD ( all wheel drive - or 4x4) and vice versa.

I had driven that care once and believe me, it was super convinient to turn and park.

I had not seen any car with AWS after 90s, I guess this feature was dropped.

Regards,

JLS
i believe the 7 series has some level of all wheel steering as addon.
and of course,godzilla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryashiv1 View Post
One from my side. I was at the VW showroom in Thane on Saturday evening to check the Polo. The sales person can not speak. He stammers. Very strange a company like VW hiring a sales person who stammer. Anyways he told me about the car what ever he could, I knew more than that. Then i casually mentioned to him about Mirca. His comments: Sir Micra is assembled in India, not made in India. I still dont know what does that mean. I just left the showroom unimpressed.
Hmmmm.
Google CKU,CBU.
I think thats what he was trying to convey.

Last edited by mayankk : 25th August 2010 at 12:18. Reason: addition
Old 25th August 2010, 13:46   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusar_MEAC View Post
Now on a serious note he really needed 2 Cars, One for themselves and other to give away at his sister’s marriage. I showed him the Chevy Optra on the Auto Car Magazine that was about to be launched. He took away the magazine from me and stared at the pics for half an hour and memorized the car’s name.

Couple of weeks later while we were riding on our bikes, we got to see the first Optra on the road which zoomed ahead of us. This Guy accelerated his bike, overtook the optra, put his bike across the car and started screaming at us (we were following behind) ‘Look at this, this is Schewerlat..look at this Schewerlat’.
The Car owner rolled down the windows and looked at us with an unasked question ‘What is he doing?’.
We were like ‘We don’t know him’
Oh God!!
Just imagining the scene had me in tears!!
"schewarlat!!schewarlat!!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I would consider myself an "expert" - on the basis of the fact that I have crashed heavily and am alive only because I was wearing a seat belt.
The car: '97 Zen
The crash: Off centre, drivers side, into a tree at approx 60-70 kmph

The inertia reel did its job perfectly. Held me in my seat firmly. To undo the seat belt, I just pressed the button as usual to release the seat belt and it rolls back fully as normal.

Given the position of the seat belt lock (down by your hip, in the centre of the car), I think it is going to be very difficult to damage it enough to not be able to release the seat belt?
I concur.
flipped my santro on to its side some years back.landed on the passenger side,with me driving(before flipping, of course).
only injury i had was some bruising when i unlatched the seatbelt(worked well enought, the latch,ie, didnt jam) and obeyed gravity...

had the belt and mechanism replaced though, just for peace of mind.

an addition:
Sometime back, i was having a few dry weekends ,ie, sans f1 and motogp.
At one joint i used to frequent to watch had the guy browsing through channels, and espn had nascar running.So most everybody told him to stick to it, just to be able to see some action.
And this group next to me had one gyaani tell everyone that, nascar is intermittent because, sometimes they dont have any stock leftover!!!
( i suppose in the recession, there must have been ONLY nascar on the tube!!!)
yes, einstein.
Old 25th August 2010, 16:46   #446
BHPian

A friend commented today:

"When reversing a car just after starting (say, from a parking lot), it is recommended to engage the 1st gear, move it a bit and then shift to reverse"

I have no idea why on earth this has to be done? Any idea petrolheads?
Old 25th August 2010, 17:00   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post

"When reversing a car just after starting (say, from a parking lot), it is recommended to engage the 1st gear, move it a bit and then shift to reverse"

This is indeed true for quite a few cases (especially for santro IIRC), when the reverse gear refuses to engage from standstil. 1st gear - roll a few cms, and then engage the reverse gear smoothly seems to be the solution (same problem sometimes happen for my uncle's gen2 Wagon R)
Old 25th August 2010, 17:10   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post

This is mostly superstition. Most Bus Drivers do this everytime they start the journey.
Old 25th August 2010, 17:18   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This is indeed true for quite a few cases (especially for santro IIRC), when the reverse gear refuses to engage from standstil. 1st gear - roll a few cms, and then engage the reverse gear smoothly seems to be the solution (same problem sometimes happen for my uncle's gen2 Wagon R)
Yes it works as it is equivalent to double clutching, Also you can try double de-clutching if reverse or 1st gear is refusing to engage. Some times when it is stuck double clutch helps to free in fact it was standard before synchro gears came in to being.
Old 25th August 2010, 17:19   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
This is mostly superstition. Most Bus Drivers do this everytime they start the journey.
No, it is not! This was recommended by the service people of two different MASS after I complained of occassional difficulty in engaging / jerky engagement of reverse gear. I was told to engage first gear briefly, disengage and then shift to reverse for smooth operation. And surprisingly, it works. I understand it has to do something with all gears except reverse being synchronized. They recommended this step for all Maruti cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks