Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 12:17   #541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
I don't know if this should be here but this logic was surprising.

I was with a friend at a petrol pump to fill his car up. His petrol Swift had a lot of engine clatter (tappet noise i presume). As soon as my friend said, "Full tank karo", the guy brought out the diesel nozzle and was about to pump in diesel into it.

My friend started hailing adjectives at the pump man. The guy said, "aapka gaadi to diesel hai, petrol gaadi mein aisa awaz nahin hota" . My friend decided to leave the pump immediately without filling fuel due to reasons very evident.

P.S. Mods if this post is not appropriate for this thread then please move it to relevant thread.
I was in a similar situation at the petrol bunk between Avinashi and Mettupalayam, with my Xeta. The guy had never seen a petrol Indica, and he refused to believe it is petrol. I mean he just refused to put petrol in it, saying that he knows very well there is no such thing as a "petrol Indica" .

Finally I had to show him the inside of the fuel lid which had "petrol" written on it, to convince him. He then filled petrol with a doubtful look on his face. My wife split her sides laughing looking at my reaction.
Old 17th September 2010, 13:08   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I was in a similar situation at the petrol bunk between Avinashi and Mettupalayam, with my Xeta. The guy had never seen a petrol Indica, and he refused to believe it is petrol. I mean he just refused to put petrol in it, saying that he knows very well there is no such thing as a "petrol Indica" .

Finally I had to show him the inside of the fuel lid which had "petrol" written on it, to convince him. He then filled petrol with a doubtful look on his face. My wife split her sides laughing looking at my reaction.
I'm also asked at most pumps(diesel ya petrol) in the fiesta.
but the commemorative medal goes to shanti-path station from yesterday.
first the lady with the window wiper, then the attendant herself.
then the supervisor (sorts) comes out frantically speaking to the attendant "why are you filling petrol?"
and then asks me, and says, "why did you buy petrol fiesta?diesel leke taxi laga dete!!"
and what, take the bus?
Didnt know it came with that offer.
"new:buy fiesta,get taxi stand!!"
Old 17th September 2010, 16:56   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
In my school days i always use to wonder why dont they have a reverse gear in bikes

i know it sounds really weird + stupid. To beat that my old pals still embarrass me with it
Not any superbike, but my friends Ideal Jawa had that unique feature. I think when kick starting, the engine used to crank in the reverse direction and then starts to move backwards, completely startling new users. Reminds me of a scene from Pickwick Papers
Old 17th September 2010, 17:09   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Not any superbike, but my friends Ideal Jawa had that unique feature. I think when kick starting, the engine used to crank in the reverse direction and then starts to move backwards, completely startling new users. Reminds me of a scene from Pickwick Papers
It used to happen in Jawa and Yezdi if double decompression kicks where not done. There used to be a trick to start these bikes
Old 17th September 2010, 20:07   #545
BHPian

When I brought my Electra a couple of months back, all around, people used to ask me questions. Be it when I stop to refuel, stop for a chai break and even traffic signals.

Hell, even a old guy travelling in a city bus shouted questions from the window too.

All wanted to know the same things:

1. Is this really a BULLET?
Me: Yeah, just see the name.

2. Is it still manufactured?
Me: Obviously, then how would I buy it then?

3. What is the price?
Me: Approx. 1.15L on road.

4. You could have brought a car at that price!
Me:

5. What is the Mileage?
Me: You don't buy a Bullet for mileage man, buy a Hero Honda for that!

The same questions were popped at Bangalore, Mysore and Chikmagalur.

Chikmagalur was ok because people don't see new Bullets much.

But Bangalore and Mysore?

I realised that it was because new bikes come out of the Show-rooms in these cities with their registration plates and mine had a temporary number scribbled on the blank plates.

Update: The questions from strangers stopped once my number fell in place:

MY 100th POST!
Old 17th September 2010, 20:59   #546
BHPian

Just came after arguing with a friend who tried his level best to convince me that the Linea has a Ferrari engine inside it

I tried to tell him that Ferrari has never made and will never make a puny little 1.4 engine but he wouldn't budge. Heck, then he said he himself drove one on the expressway and touched 240 kmph.

To tell you, these people are real entertainers which is very much needed during those boring college lectures.
Old 17th September 2010, 21:09   #547
Senior - BHPian

Almost a year back - My neighbor saw my new car and asked - 'how much?'

Me - '5.65 on road'

He replied - 'Oh my god - you have been very badly duped - the i10 comes for around 4 lakhs!'

Me - yeah right (in my mind - ever heard of variants?)'
Old 17th September 2010, 21:16   #548
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : This post has been deleted as it amounts to spamming. We would appreciate if you post only when you have something that is value-adding to the thread. Your support will greatly help in maintaining the high quality standards of Team-BHP.

Thanks!

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th September 2010 at 14:08. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the post.
Old 18th September 2010, 13:22   #549
BHPian

My mom! I don't care what crap car you saw far as I know it'll only get you from point A to point B! I was looking at a maserati.
Old 19th September 2010, 00:55   #550
BHPian

My dad's friend was one of the first persons to buy the Honda City in our city when it was launched. He was forever complaining about the servicing cost vs Maruti, and for a while, used to take out the Honda only late at night to avoid getting dents/scratches on it. Rest of the time, he used his old Maruti (a zen or an 800) Anyway, after a while, the S version was launched (EXiS, I think) with the 5-spoke alloys and bodykit. He asked about their price at the dealer and was quoted 22K. He went around telling everyone never to buy a Honda, because the wheelcaps alone were 22K a set! Poor dude had no idea they were alloys, just that they looked good!

I think that asking about the average/mileage is an Indian thing. You can't escape it even on this forum. Everyone wants to know the mileage. AFA I am concerned, there's just good mileage and bad mileage. If 500 bucks worth of fuel lasts more than a week in our car, I'm happy. I've never been too concerned about mileage, though my vehicles have always given great mileage. My 2005 P150 used to give me 70+kmpl before 5K. Then, the idiots at the ASC did something to the carb, and I've never gotten above 55 since. Now, with the FFE, K&N filter, bigger carb and rejetting, I don't even bother checking.

Last edited by vivekgk : 19th September 2010 at 01:03.
Old 19th September 2010, 03:45   #551
BHPian

I bumped in to this thread today and stuck to it for almost 6 hours now, what a way to start the weekend, enjoyed my fullest.

On a relative note on Acura and Honda, I always thought why people go for Acura instead of Honda when both looks the same and till now I didnt bother to know the difference, If someone is ready to let me know the prime differences, I would be happy to learn and sorry, no offences against Acura or Honda.
Old 19th September 2010, 11:52   #552
BHPian

Most stupid question in early 90s when I bought tatamobile for my form use. Q: “are you going to make it into a car”. If I was, would have bought a car.
Old 19th September 2010, 14:59   #553
BHPian

My dad on my DIY of the blaupunkt aux in!

Mom: what is this stupid wire its irritating me!

Dad: why are you complaining he's brought the music system forward generations?

Mom: eh? What?

Dad: yeah first we only had a cassette player now we can connect our phones and the ipod also!
Old 19th September 2010, 17:48   #554
Senior - BHPian

@balajird This is pretty simple,Acura is the luxury car division of Honda.Same as Lexus=Toyota,Infiniti=Nissan.So anyone who like a Honda but would love a bit of exclusivity and some luxury they go for Acura.And its not like its is a rebadged honda,they come with changed interiors,engines,suspension and looks are also different.

Last edited by avishar : 19th September 2010 at 17:53.
Old 19th September 2010, 17:53   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
To answer you question, Yes, he was serious. This guy doesn't own a car or know anything about them.
He's one of those guys from some village, who study really really hard and thus do end up getting into IIT. You find a lot of these types in the IIT's and various engineering colleges, who mug up the text books, but don't have a lot of real life knowledge beyond that, yet they are able to score very high on the entrance exams and tests by sheer hard work and effort.
This is an incidence ten years back, near my native village, Once I went to a petrol bunk to fill petrol in my bike, a villager with another bike (i think it was Rajdoot), asks the guy to put some diesel in tank, I was aghast, I told him not to put, but he smugly smiles and says "You city guys care too much your bike, you guys should teach your bikes to be little tolerant, they should be adjusting".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks