Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 09:58   #556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
This is an incidence ten years back, near my native village, Once I went to a petrol bunk to fill petrol in my bike, a villager with another bike (i think it was Rajdoot), asks the guy to put some diesel in tank, I was aghast, I told him not to put, but he smugly smiles and says "You city guys care too much your bike, you guys should teach your bikes to be little tolerant, they should be adjusting".
I've seen many people do this to the poor old Rajdoot. They even put kerosene. We used to joke that this was a bike that can run even on coconut oil
Old 20th September 2010, 10:31   #557
Senior - BHPian

The old 2-stroke engines were very simple, and it is characteristic of them to be tolerant of a very wide variety of fuel quality. They really do run on pretty much anything

In fact, Merc W115 diesels will run on vegetable oil with very little modification
Old 21st September 2010, 07:36   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

The in flight magazine of Go Air has a feature on 3 small cars suitable for women. The recommendations are Chevy UVA, Palio Stile and i10. Nothing wrong with that except the Chevy that is shown is actually a Beat! Even the specs look suspiciously like the Beat's so I suspect they got the car right and the name wrong. To add insult to injury, I got off at BoM airport and a lovely blue Beat was standing in the airport display area! I guess airline magazines should stick to fashion and tourism and leave cars up to the real aficionados!
Old 21st September 2010, 08:11   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The in flight magazine of Go Air has a feature on 3 small cars suitable for women. The recommendations are Chevy UVA, Palio Stile and i10. Nothing wrong with that except the Chevy that is shown is actually a Beat! Even the specs look suspiciously like the Beat's so I suspect they got the car right and the name wrong. To add insult to injury, I got off at BoM airport and a lovely blue Beat was standing in the airport display area! I guess airline magazines should stick to fashion and tourism and leave cars up to the real aficionados!
Sorry boss, I dont see anything wrong in any magazine quoting like this, they have mentioned that these cars are "suitable" for women and not like they "should be driven" by women. Seriously, I didnt understand the intent behind your comment. I am sorry, if my understanding here is wrong. In fact, you have mentioned that, there is only a "recommendation" and is not "branded" as such.
Old 21st September 2010, 08:58   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Sorry boss, I dont see anything wrong in any magazine quoting like this, they have mentioned that these cars are "suitable" for women and not like they "should be driven" by women. Seriously, I didnt understand the intent behind your comment. I am sorry, if my understanding here is wrong. In fact, you have mentioned that, there is only a "recommendation" and is not "branded" as such.
noopster was mentioning about the wrong car name in the mag.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:38   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
noopster was mentioning about the wrong car name in the mag.
My bad noopster, thanks for the correction Arun, It didnt quite struck me as both UVA and Beat are from Chevy stable and I didnt look it properly. Apologies again noopster.
Old 21st September 2010, 11:47   #562
BHPian

I quit my job with Nissan & joined Maruti dealership near my home recently.

I cannot stop wondering why almost everyone pronounces Wagon R as WAGNER (staff/managers/customers all included)
Old 21st September 2010, 16:48   #563
BHPian

Guess they all know of a certain Mr.Wagner (spelling could be wrong) & think the car is a tribute to him
Old 21st September 2010, 17:07   #564
Senior - BHPian

I think it is the name "Wagon R" that is actually quirky. What meaning does it hold for the general public anyway?

I know, "R" stands for "Recreation". But what recreation? How will people know that's what it stands for?

Just like "Das Auto".
Old 21st September 2010, 17:23   #565

Das. Auto reminds me last week's conversation with the driver

Me(to my MD's driver) : Give me the directions to Audi Service Center you went to get the car serviced in gurgaon

Driver : You gotta take a left from NH8 after Hero Honda factory

Me(Lil confused) : There may be many left turns, any land mark

Driver(Not to sure but suddenly) : There's a 'Volley Ball" workshop too.

Me(Not knowing how to react but politely : Ohhh u mean 'Volkswagen'

Driver : Haan Shaab, voi (Yes Sir, u got it).

Me : I'll find it for sure. Thanks

Thank God, Honda does not manufacture any car with the word 'wagon' in India, otherwise he would have pronounced it a "Hand Ball"
Old 21st September 2010, 18:08   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I think it is the name "Wagon R" that is actually quirky. What meaning does it hold for the general public anyway?

I know, "R" stands for "Recreation". But what recreation? How will people know that's what it stands for?

Just like "Das Auto".
I guess the name was conceptualized on the basis of their international campaign, "Its a Wagon.. It's a Car.. It's the Suzuki WagonR.."
Old 21st September 2010, 18:37   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just like "Das Auto".

'Das auto' is german for 'The car' - two of the initial words I leart while learning German. The emphasis is on Das - that Volkswagen is The car. There is nothing quirky in that IMO!
Old 21st September 2010, 22:43   #568
BHPian

Quote:

Just like "Das Auto".
a Maruti Sales guy once told my dad it stands for caR
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:59   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
'Das auto' is german for 'The car' - two of the initial words I leart while learning German. The emphasis is on Das - that Volkswagen is The car. There is nothing quirky in that IMO!
But many people imagine "Das" to be a name! Like "Kalyani Auto, Girish Auto" etc! And you know very well what "auto" stands for in India!

Many years ago when Ford cars hit our roads, people were seeing for the first time dealer names prefixed to the brand name. The name stickers were seen at the back of the cars too. A colleague actually asked me what was the difference between MPL Ford and Chennai Ford cars, and which one was better!

Last edited by Gansan : 22nd September 2010 at 10:01.
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:09   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But many people imagine "Das" to be a name! Like "Kalyani Auto, Girish Auto" etc! And you know very well what "auto" stands for in India!

Many years ago when Ford cars hit our roads, people were seeing for the first time dealer names prefixed to the brand name. The name stickers were seen at the back of the cars too. A colleague actually asked me what was the difference between MPL Ford and Chennai Ford cars, and which one was better!

Yup - Das is a common Bengali surname!! And I personally have seen 3-4 small garages/workshops named Das Auto (just that someone with a last name Das owns it). All too confusing
And I have had couple of queries why I have a 'Auto' badge on my i10 hatch - some big mouth small brain also commented that the only definition of Auto is like in a Auto Rickshaw!!

Most Viewed