Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 20:22   #601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

OK- this could well be the "cutest" post on this thread:

My 4 year old seems as excited as me about our impending car's arrival. "Papa it's an automatic, no?" I nod and then, curious, ask her what she understands by "automatic". She gestures a steering wheel that drives by itself!

I laugh and then explain about gears and clutches, silently cursing myself for ending the innocence!
Old 5th January 2011, 12:50   #602
Senior - BHPian

Well this joke is on me - a 25 year old story, when I was in 6th or 7th standard. A lady family friend of ours was learning driving and was frustrated with the clutch and gear changing. She asked why these guys had to keep these clutches and gears in a car just to make driving difficult.

I said ' Auntie, you have to live with it' and explained why the engine and transmission needs to be disengaged..blah blah blah. She replied that one day they will develop a car without a clutch. I was adamant that it will not be so, there has to be a clutch and she better get used to it. We had a bet then. The Auntie has forgotten about the bet and am yet to swallow my pride and tell her that she was right!!
Old 20th January 2011, 11:27   #603
Senior - BHPian

I was talking to a new friend in his mid 20's. Software engineer, (no offense intended), riding first time in my car. He was curiously looking around in my car and I said to him "This car has 3 modes of driving: 1. Normal Mode 2.Sports mode 3.Wifey mode. Normal when I have other passengers in car, Sports when I am alone and Wifey when my wife is in the passenger seat.". He seriously asked "Is that true? Amazing! Where is the button for that?".
Second one: He asked 'Sports model has that bent thing at the back for more red lights and why you don't have in your car?'
Old 20th January 2011, 11:58   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Well this joke is on me - a 25 year old story, when I was in 6th or 7th standard. A lady family friend of ours was learning driving and was frustrated with the clutch and gear changing. She asked why these guys had to keep these clutches and gears in a car just to make driving difficult.

I said ' Auntie, you have to live with it' and explained why the engine and transmission needs to be disengaged..blah blah blah. She replied that one day they will develop a car without a clutch. I was adamant that it will not be so, there has to be a clutch and she better get used to it. We had a bet then. The Auntie has forgotten about the bet and am yet to swallow my pride and tell her that she was right!!
Praveen, this has happened to me too. I was also of the same age, when I told my mom that it's impossible to make a car without a gear lever and clutch. But I had to swallow my words very soon, when Zen AX was launched, with an auto transmission. Mom saw the ads in the news paper and proudly showed it to me (PS: She learnt to drive many years after this incident though)
Old 20th January 2011, 12:54   #605
BHPian

It isn't specifically a joke but a staff of my store once upon a time used to get frustrated with all my car stories. Though it fascinated her for a while.

When she quit wonder of all wonders she got a job at a nearby ford showroom. She is made it to a senior sales person and then moved. Wait for it. Into their service division. Her last visit her statement was "I still wish I had listened to anna(me)"
Old 20th January 2011, 13:16   #606
Senior - BHPian

While my nano was in for the 10K service I had to take the bus to office. It is a 45min drive, and had 1+2 non-petrol heads sitting behind me. I was nearing the Hosa Road junction near electronic city, Jn known for its proximity to Audi and BMW showrooms of Bangalore.

It was a long signal, and a brand new White Audi A6 pulls up next to us, right side of the bus. I, like any other, was mesmerized by its class and finesse, it had a very light tint, and it was a 'saab kuch diktaa hai' interior with its beautiful backlit dash/switches... Wow.

1 : Do you know what car is that?

2 : No, WE dont know...

1 : It is a Audi...

(Me : nice, am listening)

1 : It has this, that, oh do you guys know what are the lines on the rear windscreen

(Me : this has to be interesting)

2 : No we dont know...

1 : It is a de-fogger, does this, that

(Me : So, you know tech stuff, nice and correct)

After a long pause...

1 : Do you know much this car costs?

2 : No, we dont know...

1 : A full 7 Lakh INR

(Me : #^#^$^$%^%$^#$#^%^^&* )
Old 20th January 2011, 14:54   #607
BHPian

This is a funny thread. Let me share one such conversation I remember:

Me: I bought a Safari last month
Him: Oh wow congrats. Is it a 4 wheel drive?
Me: No just a 2 wheel drive.
Him: You should've got a 4x4, it is very helpful in city
Me: What, how can 4x4 be more helpful in city? It is good only when off roading
Him: No you are wrong. My friend had a 4x4 Safari too. He said it is very useful inside city, because the 4 wheel drive helps reduce turning radius.

Me: What? No you are wrong, 4x4 is for powering all 4 wheels, and has nothing to do with turning radius

Him: No man, you better go check it again.
Old 20th January 2011, 15:17   #608
Senior - BHPian

^^
One stupid qtn, Will 4WD vehicle able to take quick U-turns comparing to 2WD if required?
Old 20th January 2011, 15:19   #609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
^^
One stupid qtn, Will 4WD vehicle able to take quick U-turns comparing to 2WD if required?
Yes, a 4WD vehicle will make a quicker U turn because it does not need to wait for GAP in the median
Old 20th January 2011, 15:24   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, a 4WD vehicle will make a quicker U turn because it does not need to wait for GAP in the median
hand brake on, half donut, perhaps?
Old 20th January 2011, 15:30   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
hand brake on, half donut, perhaps?
Yes may be... I am still wondering how a 4x4 can reduce turning radius!

Last edited by clevermax : 20th January 2011 at 15:32.
Old 20th January 2011, 15:31   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
1 : A full 7 Lakh INR
(Me : #^#^$^$%^%$^#$#^%^^&* )
Very funny one, assuming the discussion was in any language other than Hindi/ Marathi. saat (7) sounds pretty much similar to saanth (60)
Old 20th January 2011, 15:45   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post

Me: What? No you are wrong, 4x4 is for powering all 4 wheels, and has nothing to do with turning radius
Technically that's incorrect. 4X4 actually have a larger turning radius compared to 4X2.
Old 20th January 2011, 15:46   #614
BHPian

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine, who's a Skoda fan and is thinking about buying one in the future, a few days back:

Me: From what I've heard/read on a forum, Skoda owners sometimes face a lot of after sales service issues and the car's parts/spares cost a bomb to replace.
He: But that shouldn't be a concern. At least for a good number of years for me.
Me: (totally confused) Why?
He: Skoda cars go for first service after 1 Lac Km. Till then everything's under warranty. So I won't need to spend anything on parts/spares.
Me: I don't think any car in the world can have that long an interval for 1st service.
He: No No, I have read it somewhere and coupla friends have told me the same too.
Me: Whistling X-files theme. After sometime, man I need to meet those friends of yours.

Disclaimer: No offense meant for Skoda cars or their owners. I was just conveying my general perception about the brand to him.

EDIT: Does Skoda provide something like Chevy (3 years thingy) does?

Last edited by lordofgondor : 20th January 2011 at 15:55.
Old 20th January 2011, 15:48   #615
BHPian

Where is the Fuel switch?

This goes back to 1989 when I was first learning how to drive. Dad's office driver was teaching me in an old Padmini and after we came to stop, turned the key to kill the engine and asked him - where's the Fuel Tap knob? And he started laughing not telling me anything. Since, scooters and bikes had the fuel tap switch, I wanted to know where is it in the car.

The reason of his laughter became clearer several years after when I had my first car.

Most Viewed