Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 15:08   #691
BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
Very very true.

After I bought an i10 1.2 Sportz variant, one of my cousin thought that the salesman cheated me as i10 is available for 3.5lac, very less than 4.8lacs at which I got my i10 for!
The ex-showroom price for top of the top-end i10 - Asta AT WS GLS(Metallic) costs 598,630 as on today. I guess on road would easily cost something around 6.6-6.75 lac!
Now if you would have brought this variant your cousin may think that you got double-cheated, as we can bargain for 2 i10 in this budget.
Old 13th April 2011, 16:19   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
The ex-showroom price for top of the top-end i10 - Asta AT WS GLS(Metallic) costs 598,630 as on today. I guess on road would easily cost something around 6.6-6.75 lac!
Now if you would have brought this variant your cousin may think that you got double-cheated, as we can bargain for 2 i10 in this budget.
Well there are people who think that Nano comes for exactly 1 lac and not a single rupee more than that!!

And some of my friends think that BMW 3 series is just 1 car and same with 5 and 7 series so they say that BMW sells only 3 cars in India. Same is the case with Merc also, they think that C class is just 1 car and same with E,M,R,S classes. LOL they dont know anything about different engine options available and all that.
And these "gems" think that they are the only ones who know everything about cars!!
Old 13th April 2011, 17:29   #693
BHPian

During the 80s and when I was a kid, I was on a road trip to Goa from Mumbai in my uncle's Premier Padmini. Being the usually inquisitive me, I enquired to my uncle why he had pulled a certain stick from the car floor. Uncle told me those were hand brakes and should be used while driving up ghats!

Fast forward to the 90s, same uncle in his brand new m800. I asked what for were the seat belts in the car. Uncle replied - they are for body support during long journeys!

Fast forward to 2011, uncle in my i20 on the passenger seat:

Me: Uncle please wear your seat belt.
Uncle: Its only a short distance, its fine.
Me: OK
Two mintues into the drive, the seat belt warning chime has gone off and I'm giggling.
Uncle: What's that noise?
Me: The car is angry you didn't wear your seat belt.
Uncle: Ok, ok make it go away! (while pulling the seat belt)

Cheers!
DueLLeR

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th April 2011 at 15:43. Reason: Please STICK to 2 smiley per post. Read the forum rules before proceeding. Thanks!
Old 14th April 2011, 06:12   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
Very very true.

After I bought an i10 1.2 Sportz variant, one of my cousin thought that the salesman cheated me as i10 is available for 3.5lac, very less than 4.8lacs at which I got my i10 for!

My cousin thinks of only one single price; the price for that variant which one of his friends or relatives had bought.
Safari for 7 lac, civic for 10 lac and mercedeeez for 20lac
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
Same story here folks - after I got my i10 asta in 2009 for 5.65 on road - my neighbor looked as if I had done a crime According to him i10 costs no more than 3.5 lakhs max!
Old 14th April 2011, 08:48   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Happen to hear two boys speaking about CC (cubic capacity)
According to them 'cc' is the max speed capability of the vehicle
i.e., TVS 50 - 50cc - 50kmph
Splendor - 100cc - 100kmph
Pulsar 150 - 150cc - 150kmph
Going by their logic, max speed of pulsar 220, Bull 350/500??
Poor maruti 800 should be doing 800kmph

According to my friend in a twin spark plug (DTSi) vehicle if one plug fails the other will continue its duty (i.e., only one spark plug will be working and once it fails, the other will start working)
Old 13th May 2011, 19:18   #696
BHPian

A friend of mine ( a fat one ) was in the market for a 150cc commuter, i suggested him the Unicorn over the pulsar, few days later he gets the pulsar, his dad says, " son, the unicorn has only one shock absorber, it will break with his weight, the pulsar has two hence has much better suspension"
Old 14th May 2011, 01:15   #697
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
A friend of mine ( a fat one ) was in the market for a 150cc commuter, i suggested him the Unicorn over the pulsar, few days later he gets the pulsar, his dad says, " son, the unicorn has only one shock absorber, it will break with his weight, the pulsar has two hence has much better suspension"

Exactly some thing happened to me five years back when I bought my Unicorn. My friend's dad on seeing my bike said that these single shocker bikes can not withstand the weight and (shocker) would break. Hence, my friend bought a Pulsar.

Last year, the same friend sold his pulsar and bought Yamaha FZ. His dad said nothing this time, may be because he still sees my Uni's shocker intact.
Old 16th May 2011, 09:55   #698
Senior - BHPian

Today morning, took the company cab to work. There was another gentleman in the front passenger seat. Out of the blue, he asked me if I had seen the BMW X6? I told him I did. The driver too got interested and asked the gentleman what car he was refferring to. This is how the X6 was explained to the driver by the gentleman seated up front:

"X6 bohot sahi hai yaar. BMW ki hai. Woh SUV hoti hai na Safari jaisi? Lekin iss waali gaadi (pointing at a Santro) jitni oonchi hoti hai. Sedan hoti hai na jaise ye indica (our cab) .............. waisi hai. Matlab sedan, SUV sab kuchh hai. Bohot sahi hai yaar".

Then for the next few seconds, he kept mumbling to himself - "Sedan, SUV ....... Sedan, SUV ......."

LOL!!!!!!!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 09:53   #699
BHPian

- "Why do you need ABS here ? It never snows nor we have ice on the roads here" - A colleague

- Person 1: "The New Verna looks good"
- Person 2: "What's so good ? The front end is from the i10 and rest of the car is from the Honda City"

- Person 1: "I don't understand why the Civic is so low slung"
- Person 2: "The Civic is an SUV. All SUVs are supposed to be like that"

I and a group of colleagues were on a road trip in the US. We hired a Toyota Sienna Mini Van.

Colleague: The design should be similar to the Innova.
Me: No, there is a lot of difference.
Colleague: Alright, at least the engine should be same
Me:
Old 17th May 2011, 10:14   #700
BANNED

Recent conversation....

Me : Had been driving in the Forest Range in my Safari

Friend : Your's not a 4X4 right.....?

Me : No. Why....?

Friend : You should always travel by a 4X4 when driving through a forest range....

Me : Why is that....?

Friend : Sometimes you encounter wild animals so you need a 4X4

Me : There is no need of a 4WD unless you are venturing inside the forest.

Friend : NO NO.....Not like that, You know i had been to the same reserve with Jungle Lodges and Resorts, we were driving through the forest and saw an elephant right in the middle of the road and it was charging towards us, The driver was smart, He engaged the 4WD and zipped past the elephant.

Me : But.........!

Friend : You see, you cannot go fast if you dont have a 4x4.

Me:
Old 17th May 2011, 10:41   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
According to my friend in a twin spark plug (DTSi) vehicle if one plug fails the other will continue its duty (i.e., only one spark plug will be working and once it fails, the other will start working)
It is partly true. I rode my Pulsar 150 DTS-i for almost 500 km with practically zero spark from one spark plug simply because the other one was working fine. The only difference was a drop in mileage and performance!
Old 17th May 2011, 11:06   #702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
- Person 1: "The New Verna looks good"
- Person 2: "What's so good ? The front end is from the i10 and rest of the car is from the Honda City"
Well actually a lot of people are saying that. It does bear that uncanny resemblance to the NHC. Ofcourse the front can look similar to I10 as the company wants the same sort of look for all its vehicles.
Old 17th May 2011, 11:46   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

"X6 bohot sahi hai yaar. BMW ki hai. Woh SUV hoti hai na Safari jaisi? Lekin iss waali gaadi (pointing at a Santro) jitni oonchi hoti hai. Sedan hoti hai na jaise ye indica (our cab) .............. waisi hai. Matlab sedan, SUV sab kuchh hai. Bohot sahi hai yaar".

Then for the next few seconds, he kept mumbling to himself - "Sedan, SUV ....... Sedan, SUV ......."

LOL!!!!!!!
Actually the X6 would have left many guys mumbling like this. Sedan? SUV? Tall boy? I doubt whether the X6 itself knows what it is meant to be
Old 17th May 2011, 12:09   #704
Team-BHP Support

A friend explainining Mercedes Class -

C - Common
E - Executive
S - Super Executive

I almost fainted and requested him to stop. Thank god he didn't call the
M - Monster.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 12:14   #705
Distinguished - BHPian