Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 15:32   #706
Team-BHP Support

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

When I was really young (~4 years), a neighbour had just bought the M800. Just about then, Maruti 1000 was picking up.

I thought M800 was for Rs. 800 and M1000 for Rs. 1000. I pestered my dad and then my mum with why we couldn't afford one if our neighbour could.

And only I know the happiness I felt when I got to sat in the car! I had an air around me for quite some time!!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th May 2011 at 15:37.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 16:00   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
A friend explainining Mercedes Class -

C - Common
E - Executive
S - Super Executive

I almost fainted and requested him to stop. Thank god he didn't call the
M - Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
what about "G"?
Must be Gorilla

Had a friend in school, who said the vans from TN (he was referring to the Standard 20) had an "inch-thick" body and hence extremely tough and powerful, compared to the Matador F305.
Old 17th May 2011, 16:20   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
My friend had bought a new Karizma ZMR and had posted pics on Facebook.
Some smart chap had commented on one of the pics and it read:
"Hey do you want to modify it?? We will add a V8 to it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
^^

can fix a seperate carrier and mount the engine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
V8!!!

Or a trailer can be coupled to carry the new mill
EDIT: I have blurred out all names and pics to maintain owner's and "modifer's" privacy LOL!!
Here is a screenshot of the page!
Attached Thumbnails
Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 17th May 2011 at 16:21.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 17:20   #709
BHPian

When we were kids, we used to race on make-believe cars. So 1st gear - 100 kmphm 2nd gear - 200 kmph, 3rd gear - 300 kmph etc upto as many gears as required to go faster than our friends' car. Finally, when we seemed to be running out of gears, we will say "free" (for neutral) and then tell our friends that we are speeding at super sonic speeds. LOL!!!
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 18:58   #710
BHPian

It was in 2002 i first joined driving school , till then it was a fascination to watch movie heroes spectacularly flick the steering wheel and car does a smooth turn. And so it was my second day and it was class on how to turn the car. I did a spectacular flick to right, but waited for the car to come back to neutral position until i was on the opposite side of road the trainer asked me what in the heavens was i waiting for. Thats when i realised steering was to be brought back to its neutral position after desired amount of turn. That they never showed in movies. It happens.
drkakkilaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 20:17   #711
BHPian

There was this lady in her 40s who was taking driving class in my batch. It was hilarious watching her antics at steering wheel. Me and my friend used to sit behind and giggle watching her blunders.agreed its not easy learning at that age.but what she did even earth had a significant turbo lag, before torquing itself ahead. We reached a junction where planned to take right, promptly driver told madam look back before turning. This lady stops the car right in the middle of the busy junction, turned back 180 degrees says its safe then takes the turn. Trainer fumed , madam please use the rare view mirror next time. We were hysterically laughing our lungs out in the back seat.
Old 17th May 2011, 22:28   #712
BHPian

The other day a friend (who incidentally has a Swift Vdi which he crashed once already) said he would like to drive my car. I was apprehensive and said, I will drive you be in the passenger seat. My car has a seatbelt chime which starts the moment the engine is on and goes on for eternity (well not eternity but, you get the drift). I started putting on the seatbelt, he was like, hey we are only driving in the city (he conveniently ignored that there is a freeway also as a part of that road where you would do 60+ speeds). I said, no, I dont like the chime (what else could I have said). What he said next was,
*marathi*
" Arre, jata jata majhya mitrachi garage lagti, tikdun eka thoklelya gadiche seatbelt kapun, lock kadhun gheu ani laun taku, mag nahi yenar avaaz".

*translated it means
" On the way, there is a friends garage. Lets stop there. He would have a crashed car, we will cut the seatbelt and take the lock (the clip). Put that in your car and you will not get the beep!"

I was like. :O
Old 19th May 2011, 13:40   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Actually the X6 would have left many guys mumbling like this. Sedan? SUV? Tall boy? I doubt whether the X6 itself knows what it is meant to be
I bet you top dollar that the confused positioning of the X6 was the last thing going through his head. One could see the passion flow through him. He almost hugged the driver for enquiring about the Bimmer. You should have been there .... when he started mumbling, he was almost in a trance, staring at the dashboard, his head slightly rocking from left to right (Sedan .... SUV ..... Sedan ........ SUV). LOL LOL LOL LOL

That was cult (Bimmer X6 cult) s#!t brother.

And come on, Indica = sedan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkakkilaya View Post
There was this lady in her 40s who was taking driving class in my batch. It was hilarious watching her antics at steering wheel. Me and my friend used to sit behind and giggle watching her blunders.

.....said the hunky male, just as he crashed the car after a spectacular filmy turn as he watched his friend's face grow pale with horror through the RARE view mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
On the way, there is a friends garage. Lets stop there. He would have a crashed car, we will cut the seatbelt and take the lock (the clip). Put that in your car and you will not get the beep!"

I was like. :O
Do me a favor mate. Take the car out on the expressway with him riding shotgun. Find a fairly empty spot, go pedal to the metal and once you are doing triple digits ..... slam the brakes and watch him fly into the windscreen. This look on his face = priceless.
Old 19th May 2011, 13:58   #714
Senior - BHPian

The problem with driving school instructors is, they tell you WHAT to do but never tell you WHY. If some common man gets to know the reasons, he/she might be able to drive better.
And yesterday I saw the dumbest BMW driver I have ever seen, in Udupi. He had a GA 08 registered 320d. He had buckled the driver seatbelt to the seat, and was sitting on it. He had driven it that way all the way from Goa to Udupi. I really hope he meets with a minor accident that is just good enough to deploy driver airbag.
Old 19th May 2011, 17:33   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

When I was a kid, my best friend was the only boy I knew who had a car- his Dad is a doctor. I had a T-shirt with (of all things) "First Gear" emblazoned on it. So one day when we were playing, my friend claimed that he was second gear (or third or fourth, doesn't matter) and that he was "superior" to me, since I was only first gear.

I laughed and said, "First gear is fastest" (I sinceerely believed this at the time). My friend laughed and taunted me, what do you know? I sit next to my father and 1st is the slowest gear, etc. etc.

Close to tears now, I shouted, "Then why does my stupid shirt say 'First Gear'?"

Still fighting, we found my friend's Dad and posed the question to him. He paused for thought and told us, "First Gear means you're always climbing"!

I realise the wisdom in that statement, just as I realise how stupid I was as a kid
Old 19th May 2011, 18:57   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Still fighting, we found my friend's Dad and posed the question to him. He paused for thought and told us, "First Gear means you're always climbing"!
Awesome statement - hats off to your friend's dad!
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 18:24   #717
Senior - BHPian

About 5-6 years ago when Ferrari was completely dominating F1, we were discussing at our office as to how ferrari was outclassing every other team. Then a co-worker states that he knows why ferraris are always winning and the reason he said was " that they have bigger fuel tanks meaning lesser pit stops". I was stunned and decided not to discuss anything close to a automobile in front of this 'super-intelligent' co-worker.
Old 20th May 2011, 21:54   #718
BHPian

When I was around 14-15, one of my schoolmates senior by 2 years had this explanation for custom made cars. He claimed that the customers body measurements were taken and the seats and other parts of the car were designed to suit.
Old 20th May 2011, 23:12   #719
Senior - BHPian

We have a presentation on every alternate Friday, where any 3 employees can present on some topic of his/her choice for 10-15 minutes. Today, one guy's slides were on "Super cars". Some of his interesting findings:
1. All Supercars are turbocharged and supercharged
2. All Supercars have V8 engines
3. Power ranges from 560bhp to 750bhp
4. Wheels are always made of Magnesium
He'd identified top 5 super cars. Bugatti Veyron is on top, with 1001bhp and 258mph. He doesn't know that the Veyron SS churns out 1200bhp. Next to the Veyron is the Porsche 997, with I don't know how, 1400bhp. Third is the Lamborghini Murcielago LP560-4. Fourth is McLaren F1, and it has a turbo and supercharger. Fifth was the Ford GT-40. Top speeds were ranging from 209mph to 258mph (that is somewhat right)

I was trying hard not to laugh for the entire ten minutes...
Old 20th May 2011, 23:30   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

@silversteed:

the turbocharger kick-starts the superchargers.
plus there is also nowadays an electric supercharger which eliminates all turbo lag by pre-charging it.
its auto engg-101.

Auto firms are scratching their heads to develop technology where they don't have to utilize variable geometry turbos, considering that its been around for so long.

instead new commissions have been given to see the utility of other non-math based turbos.
Hyundai's 2015 verna will not have the VGT.
it will in fact have the VHT and VBT.
VHT is basically the variable history turbo, about which you wont ever know where its been and what its done.
and the variable biology turbo whose parentage will be suspect.

Last edited by mayankk : 20th May 2011 at 23:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks