Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 12:38   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

My friends and I are out for a drive in my friends Omni. It was drizzling and I had noticed that his tyres were cross ply tyres and had no tread left on them. I asked him to slow down as he was driving at more than 80 on wet roads. I mentioned the bald tyres to him.

He says "No need to worry, even formula1 cars uses tyres with no treads. It means you will get more grip."
At this point I was in no mood to correct him and just asked him to drive slow.
Old 7th July 2011, 16:15   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
Recently we were driving in an 800, when I saw a Fortuner.
=================
I said to him, "bro, with such talent, why don't you try for F1 racing?" He said, "I'm going to visit the Indian GP in Noida, will meet and talk to teams over there".
Oh man! I never thought there is so much of humour in TBHP until I came across this thread. Laughing ever since I read about the M800 with a 3000 cc engine ! Hope I don't lose my job owing to the TBHP addiction.
vw19d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 10:23   #783
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
He said, "I'm going to visit the Indian GP in Noida, will meet and talk to teams over there".
Reminds me of what Frank Williams once said - "Every guy driving a minivan thinks he's the next Schumacher".
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 11:05   #784
BHPian

My uncle stands next to punto and figo says figo is more rugged.

I was amused that he said it without even really looking inside or touching the car. I did not bother to ask him how he came to the conclusion. I just waited for him to reveal his immense intelligence.

Next, he says figo make more noise (diesel clatter) like a mahindra jeep and so it is more sturdy. Punto engine noise is not strong (i guess less clatter) and so car is not sturdy.

He says in malayalam "shabdam ketaaal arinjoodey" meaning " meaning can't you make it out from the sound ? "

Many might laugh it out but it provided me an insight on how people associate clatter noise to sturdiness.

Cant blame them they have been seeing sturdy diesel jeep work horses and they do have clatter.
Old 8th July 2011, 13:28   #785
BHPian

i drive my w140 Mercedes at the pace of snail & as majesticly as possible in heavy traffic as i am very concerned about sudden brakes from the vehicle in the front & the vehicle which may ram into my bumpers because of the brakes,
it so happened i was driving on double road & there was heavy traffic,i made sure i kept space from every vehicle around,when i reached a signal a auto guy knocked on my window & asked are you driving a cycle,
i was shocked then my family told that he was honking for a km & i was just driving in my own world
but then thats the way to drive these cars
Old 8th July 2011, 13:29   #786
BHPian

Just this morning was discussing some car company policy wrt the difference in fuel benefits based on engine capacity. The policy differentiated between cars with engine capacity under 1.6l and above it.
Now, this guy sitting near me reads through the email and wonders "Wow, so did you see the benefits for vehicles above 1.6l. These must surely be SUVs - where can you find cars with engine capacities of 1.6l and above!?" He looked expectingly at me for a response, which I was in no mood to discuss and simply shrugged it off with a "Hmm" - but, man, are people so unaware of things around them!
Old 8th July 2011, 22:39   #787
BHPian

I took my car to a mechanic to change the tail light assembly when I saw an old Nissan Cherry.

The owner of the garage comes out, looks at me and tells me that the Cherry is his car and its one of the best sports coupes of the 90s.

He also added that his car could whoop an Octavia VRS in a drag.
Old 18th July 2011, 01:03   #788
MG5
BANNED

I have spent hundreds of hours to convince my cousin that a car with 2 doors is a coupe not a "Couple Car"!! a couple car??

He says that you can get a Mazda RX-8 for 7 lakhs and Mazda RX-7 for 4-5 lakhs in Mumbai and yeah his favorite car is a San Storm..

lastly he prefers a nissan teana over a 7 series..
Old 18th July 2011, 14:15   #789
BHPian

We had to do Chennai-Trichy in our Santro last year.My wife's collague also wanted to join us as he was visitng his home in Trichy as well.So,after 5 hours of Journey laughing,arguing and guiding him on his new car purchase we reached our destination.He got a call from his mom enquiring about his travel.He replied that he is in town and also that journey was very comfortable in the Maruthi zen
Old 18th July 2011, 18:20   #790
BHPian

My friend was bragging about his new Cruz AT. I began interviewing him in a true BHPian manner. "Do you feel any turbo lag-I heard the Cruz has noticeable turbo lag?" He shook his head in negative. "No such problems. But I have noticed-if you stop the car and give accelerator again,there is some time delay for the car to start moving. Yeah,obviously-the engine weight is too much, no?!!"

And my friend is an engineer by profession-which made me wonder if the delay is actually because of the engine weight!!

Last edited by charthom : 18th July 2011 at 18:21.
Old 18th July 2011, 18:53   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
i drive my w140 Mercedes at the pace of snail & as majesticly as possible in heavy traffic as i am very concerned about sudden brakes from the vehicle in the front & the vehicle which may ram into my bumpers because of the brakes,
it so happened i was driving on double road & there was heavy traffic,i made sure i kept space from every vehicle around,when i reached a signal a auto guy knocked on my window & asked are you driving a cycle,
i was shocked then my family told that he was honking for a km & i was just driving in my own world
but then thats the way to drive these cars
hahaha

i drove a w140 for a couple of days.

It is HUGE. Thats coming from a w124 driver.

The double glass must have had something to do with you not hearing the horn.

That guy had some audacity knocking on your window. I absolutely HATE it if someone knocks on my window, bonnet, boot or anywhere.
Old 18th July 2011, 19:00   #792
Senior - BHPian

This one is fresh out of the oven. As I type this, a couple of engineers are discussing cars (and I am obviously eavesdropping).

Engineer 1 - Ye Zxi / Zdi version in dzire is rubbish.
Engineer 2 - Why?
Engineer 1 - Nonsense features it has, useless.
Engineer 2 - Nahi yaar, airbags n ABS it has.
Engineer 1 - All this is faaltu. Ye sab gaadi wo lete hain jo naya naya gaadi chalaana seekhte hain. Kahin kisi ko ye na bolna pade ki arrey meri gaadi mein xyz feature nahi hai and they feel bad.
(Translation:
All this is rubbish. Only people who are new to driving buy these feature loaded cars so that they do not feel ashamed in front of others that their car does not have xyz features).
Engineer 2 - Hmmmmmm, then why not Lxi, why Vxi?
Engineer 1 - Yaar lxi is like a tape recorder. vxi is cd player. Now in today's times, you must have CD player na?
Engineer 2 - Hmmmmmmmm

Me - &

Engineer 1 owns a Swift Dzire vxi.
Engineer 1 believes Ambassador (followed very closely by JEEPS) to be the safest vehichle on god's green earth.

'Nuff said.
Old 25th July 2011, 17:54   #793

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
.... and how astonishing mileages there vehicles give( one family friend Uncle claiming a mileage of 20+ from his Jeep DI.)
Actually its not that far off. 18 seems pretty normal with those jeeps.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:55   #794
Senior - BHPian

I once stopped at a roadside flower shop to buy roses for my lady. The shopkeeper noticed my 'Live to Drive' sticker, and just then a Maruti 800 with the same sticker passed by. The shopkeeper asked me what it is and how I got it. I tried explaining in layman's terms. Then he asked whether it means "drive maadlikke jaaga bidi" (give me some space to drive). Then I explained to him the difference between 'live' and 'leave' and gave a small lecture on safe driving.

In another incident, I stopped at fuel station when it was quite late in the night. A biker came to me and asked how much mileage I get. I told him. Then he said Swift also used to come with the same engine. I said it still comes with the same engine. He said it doesn't, because they have now introduced K-series engines. I said K-series is only petrol, and he did not agree with me. Luckily for me, he cell phone rang and I used the opportunity to escape.
Old 27th July 2011, 21:06   #795
BHPian

in my garage beside my scorpio

my cousin: when did u change it back?
me: change what back
cousin: the steering?
me: i dont understand!
cousin: for the past few days you have been driving with the steering on the left side
me: what ???????
cousin: i knew you would get tired and change it back to normal
me:

he then drags me back towards the rear and proudly shows me the sticker - 'left hand drive'

now he has me in splits and when i ask him to read it slowly
'live to drive' - he murmurs slowly and disappears
booboo is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed