Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:14   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

While Car Shopping. I went to a Hyundai Showroom (some where in Bannerghetta Road). the lady was describing.

1.) Painted Bumper - so that you will not get any scratch.

2.) ABS - Anti braking system for more safety. Did not got into more details.

3.) EBD - Electronic brake Distribution. Explained that if only front right need to brake, only that tyre will stop.

Needless to say I never went back to them.
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:38   #827
BHPian

Heard this at Mahindra showroom(Koncept) while looking at the XUV
Customer: What is the difference between FWD and AWD?
SalesMan: Disinterested - Front wheel drive and all wheel drive
Customer: How does AWD help?
SalesMan: Generates more power in the car!!!
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:54   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Heard this at Mahindra showroom(Koncept) while looking at the XUV
Customer: What is the difference between FWD and AWD?
SalesMan: Disinterested - Front wheel drive and all wheel drive
Customer: How does AWD help?
SalesMan: Generates more power in the car!!!
Thats it? When I went to see the XUV, a curious customer asked the sales executive -

C: Why does it have two exhausts? is it because it is a 2.2 engine?
SE: No sir, its because 2 exhausts help in making more power!

by that logic, I can have an output of 200 bhp from my 90 hp Punto just by adding another exhaust (FIAT is sooooo foolish!) & a veyron should have 100 exhausts!
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:21   #829
BHPian

i once went to a WASAN TATA showroom in Mumbai and inquired about the Indigo.

I asked the salesperson "How powerful the A/c is?" he replied saying "It is a 1.5 ton A/c"
pankaj09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:32   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj09 View Post
I asked the salesperson "How powerful the A/c is?" he replied saying "It is a 1.5 ton A/c"
Sorry , I did not get the quirky/funny part of it!
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:44   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Sorry , I did not get the quirky/funny part of it!

Actually household ACs are termed as .7 ton , 1 ton, 1.5 ton etc. The same logic was applied by the salesperson for the car AC too LOL
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:00   #832
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, but I remember reading somewhere that average car AC capacity is 1-1.5 TR (ton of refrigeration). If that is correct we cannot blame him for the number or unit isn't it? :-)
Old 4th October 2011, 15:30   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Thats it? When I went to see the XUV, a curious customer asked the sales executive -
C: Why does it have two exhausts? is it because it is a 2.2 engine?
SE: No sir, its because 2 exhausts help in making more power!
by that logic, I can have an output of 200 bhp from my 90 hp Punto just by adding another exhaust (FIAT is sooooo foolish!) & a veyron should have 100 exhausts!
I think the SE wasn't completely off there. Twin exhausts with proper tuning (as opposed to just a cosmetic finisher) do increase the performance of the car compared to single exhaust systems through marginally higher power since the engine air flow/breathing can be better optimized. But you certainly can't double the output of your Punto by "adding" an extra exhaust.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:20   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
"What's special about that Sumo?
This is awesome. Made my day.
Did Tata hear this conversation because they are running an amazingly silly ad of the Sumo Grande on TV now a days....
Old 5th November 2011, 00:13   #835
BHPian

Friend : Dude, i booked a Figo, top end, in red. Delivery in 20 -25 days.

Me : Arey Congrats yaar :-). That's great news. And wise decision in going for the top end with ABS and Airbags.

Friend : NO dude, its just the top end, not the toppest end.

Me : Why wont you take the one with the safety features?

Friend : (With loads of confidence in his tone) Let me tell you a thing or two about cars.

Me : All ears (with instant hopes for possible material for this very thread)

Friend : ABS, well i am not going to any race with my new car, here in Kolkata. So what do i need it for. And airbags need a minimum speed of 100Kmph to be deployed in an impact. So it would not even deploy in case of a real scenario accident. Besides, ambassador drivers could live without these for decades. So why are they so important all of a sudden.

Me :

Would have bothered to convince him, but the last sentence sealed it. I am guessing he was fed with this theory from a sales executive.

Last edited by SilkDrive : 5th November 2011 at 00:16.
Old 5th November 2011, 10:56   #836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
Friend : ABS, well i am not going to any race with my new car, here in Kolkata. So what do i need it for. And airbags need a minimum speed of 100Kmph to be deployed in an impact. So it would not even deploy in case of a real scenario accident. Besides, ambassador drivers could live without these for decades. So why are they so important all of a sudden.

Me :

Would have bothered to convince him, but the last sentence sealed it. I am guessing he was fed with this theory from a sales executive.
This is really sad. This is the main reason why everyone insists on the forum on the urgent need for the govt to strengthen its rules regarding safety. They should make it mandatory for cars to have ABS/Airbags in all variants. Customers are always on a tight budget and easily fall prey to such insane logics thrown at them since they are saving some cash.

And what to say about the sales people. There one and only motto is to make a sale regardless of what garbage they feed in the customer's brain. Sometime back I had convinced my dad and sister to go to VW to check out the Vento TDI once. The car was meant to replace the Petrol lancer which gives a FE of 9 in the city. To my shock after an hour at the showroom my dad called me luckily to confirm his decision of booking the Petrol AT Vento since the sales guy had convinced him that this will return 15kmpl ( showed him the Arai figures) and also with a running of 1200 kms its not worth to buy a diesel. Needless to say I told him to just take a TD of the TDI and come back.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 15:23   #837
BHPian

^^ Yeah, its really sad. But, I wonder how much good it would do if it is forced by the government.

This kind of attitude comes mainly from the lack of awareness about safety and callous attitude towards road manners. People who spread or believe in such logic, are also in most cases the same people who refuse to wear seat belts or mock others who do so, saying that they have no confidence in their driving skills.

An airbag without fastened seat belts would do more harm than good.

The way out is to spread awareness in general, but that is easier said than achieved. :(

Last edited by SilkDrive : 5th November 2011 at 15:24.
Old 30th November 2011, 11:15   #838
Team-BHP Support

I was at a garage yesterday; quite a few cars kept coming in for servicing etc.

One particular Swift diesel was brought in by a driver (ie not the owner) for oil change and the dude had got oil along with him.

When the job card was prepared and all, he mentioned that he has got the oil himself. The SA had a look and said after a moment that the oil was for a petrol Swift; not a diesel one.

The driver spent the next half an hour to convince the SA to use that oil nevertheless! He then even mentioned that the oil he had got be used for "some" other vehicle and he not be charged for the oil!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th November 2011 at 11:35.
Old 30th November 2011, 11:20   #839
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I was at a garage yesterday; quite a few cars kept coming in for servicing etc.

One particular Swift diesel was brought in by a driver (ie not the owner) for oil change and the dude had got oil along with him.

When the job card was prepared and all, he mentioned that he has got the oil himself. The SA had a look and said after a moment that the oil was for a petrol Swift; not a diesel one.

The driver spent the next half and hour to convince the SA to use that oil nevertheless! He then even mentioned that the oil he had got be used for "some" other vehicle and he not be charged for the oil!
In all probability, he was trying to 'pocket' some money that he got from the owner of the car for the purpose of servicing it.

A friend of mine thought that her Chevy Beat was RWD until I told her. She refused to believe me for sometime though, and was somehow convinced that it had to be RWD.
Old 30th November 2011, 14:38   #840
Senior - BHPian

Here is what happened with me:
My closest friend came to Goa on some official trip as a group. As we were meeting after long time, he told me to make certain local arrangements. I requested one of my friend who is in Navy to accompany him as they both also have met earlier in my sister's wedding. So my friend comes out of airport and he and his colleague leave their group and join me and as soon as they settle inside the car he asks me "Arrey, tune ye car khareedi hai" (Oh my God, you have bought this car), I have a Fusion (petrol), I kept quite as I know him well. For him all cars are same.
Then after we drove to the other end of the airport to pick my friend from the Navy, as soon as he came, first thing he said after opening the door was Waah, tune ye car khareedi hai (Wow, you have bought this car). Then he requested me to lend the car for 1-2 days so he can also enjoy the drive. He himself was having Tata Sierra earlier.
Needless to say, both my friend and his colleague's face expression was worth watching. They couldn't say a word for next 15 mins.

Last edited by carwatcher : 30th November 2011 at 14:49. Reason: you know why

Most Viewed