Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 15:13   #841
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
A friend of mine thought that her Chevy Beat was RWD until I told her. She refused to believe me for sometime though, and was somehow convinced that it had to be RWD.
You could have started the car, did a wheel spin & she would have been convinced in no time.
Old 30th November 2011, 15:32   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron-w16 View Post

Recently one of my colleague bought a Ritz VDI , we were discussing about the turbo lag and its comparison with Ritz and Figo. This another fellow who has a habit of interfering always irrespective if he knows the topic or not. He starts - Verna has much higher turbo lag as compared to Switf as it pulls with great thrust.
People just have to pass comments even if they don't understand it ..... I tried a little to explain him what lag is but gave up because of more stupid logic.
Sometimes you should not argue or tell them what is correct .... just enjoy.
Sorry for late response,(Just Joined). one thought though : Never argue with a fool. First they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Old 30th November 2011, 15:56   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawalsingal View Post
Sorry for late response,(Just Joined). one thought though : Never argue with a fool. First they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
@nawalsingal - How true !!
Old 30th November 2011, 19:20   #844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You could have started the car, did a wheel spin & she would have been convinced in no time.
If you're familiar with Bangalore, you will know that there is this place right after the Brigade-Residency Road junction, after the petrol-bunk, that there is this run-down dirty and mucky parking-area, right?

We were in that parking lot when we had this argument, and the only thing you could do in that place is buy that new Impulse off-road bike and go beserk! That said, I did show her that the power goes to the front wheels when some moron at the traffic-lights, ironically in a Beat - (I know, what are the odds, right? ) gives it the beans and she was gutted when she saw the front wheels spin helplessly.
Old 30th November 2011, 19:35   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
A friend of mine thought that her Chevy Beat was RWD until I told her. She refused to believe me for sometime though, and was somehow convinced that it had to be RWD
A guy in my office always has some exotic cars set as desktop background, and thinks that all cars manufactured in India are RWD. Had to show a few links to convince him otherwise. A Software Engineer in a premium IT company says such a thing, you can well imagine how aware our general population would be.
Old 30th November 2011, 21:17   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Here is what happened with me:
My closest friend came to Goa on some official trip as a group. As we were meeting after long time, he told me to make certain local arrangements. I requested one of my friend who is in Navy to accompany him as they both also have met earlier in my sister's wedding. So my friend comes out of airport and he and his colleague leave their group and join me and as soon as they settle inside the car he asks me "Arrey, tune ye car khareedi hai" (Oh my God, you have bought this car), I have a Fusion (petrol), I kept quite as I know him well. For him all cars are same.
Then after we drove to the other end of the airport to pick my friend from the Navy, as soon as he came, first thing he said after opening the door was Waah, tune ye car khareedi hai (Wow, you have bought this car). Then he requested me to lend the car for 1-2 days so he can also enjoy the drive. He himself was having Tata Sierra earlier.
Needless to say, both my friend and his colleague's face expression was worth watching. They couldn't say a word for next 15 mins.
Sorry , I did not get the quirky/funny part of it!
Old 30th November 2011, 21:47   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Sorry , I did not get the quirky/funny part of it!
Its simple, first person (closest friend) was kind of feeling pity/making fun on my decision as for him all cars are same and good cars mean Maruti and Hyundai for him and second person (friend from Navy) was amazed by my decision as he was aware of this car.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 01:25   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
Friend : (With loads of confidence in his tone) Let me tell you a thing or two about cars.

Me : All ears (with instant hopes for possible material for this very thread)

Friend : ABS, well i am not going to any race with my new car, here in Kolkata. So what do i need it for. And airbags need a minimum speed of 100Kmph to be deployed in an impact. So it would not even deploy in case of a real scenario accident. Besides, ambassador drivers could live without these for decades. So why are they so important all of a sudden.

Me :
This is what saddens me. The traffic has increased multiple times, the speeds have gone up drastically and the number of morons on the road have increased manifold. Yet, people give this logic that "I don't need ABS, airbags, I only drive in the city!" This is not the 1960s.

Worse, some people even have the opinion that since your car's airbags got deployed you must have been racing on the road!

It is no surprise, then, that our country tops the world in the number of fatalities on the road, and it is one of the few countries where the fatalities have increased over the past few years.
architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 01:37   #849
BHPian

The best comment i heard was from a group of auto drivers admiring the compactness and beauty of the rarely seen Reva. One of the onlookers comment went like this. "This is the new car from Tata after Nano." while another guy disagreed by shouting "This is the Nano."
carheadbanger is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 02:21   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
This is what saddens me. The traffic has increased multiple times, the speeds have gone up drastically and the number of morons on the road have increased manifold. Yet, people give this logic that "I don't need ABS, airbags, I only drive in the city!" This is not the 1960s.

Worse, some people even have the opinion that since your car's airbags got deployed you must have been racing on the road!

It is no surprise, then, that our country tops the world in the number of fatalities on the road, and it is one of the few countries where the fatalities have increased over the past few years.
architect, the number of fatalities on the road is not because of the few uninformed souls like this. It is because of the untrained, 'oblivious to danger to self or others' morons that inhabit our roads
Old 1st December 2011, 08:37   #851
Senior - BHPian

One incidence, not exactly funny, but they prove how bad it is to explain and discuss with not-so-knowledgable humans.

A group of my friends are sitting in free time. I am regarded as a person who happens to be auto expert ( despite the fact that I never claim to be an expert, my argument is that I am open to new things and perfecting knowledge about automobiles is having indepth knowledge of almost all components of cars ) and the one to be consulted in any case or thing related to Automotive.

Friend 1: Fortuner is excellent, very fast, can easily outrun many cars on expresshighway ( NE-1 between Vadodara-A'bad ).
Friend 2 : Yes, its really great. Even better than Cruze.

Both of them are now talking to me.
Me : They are different vehicles, one is for off-roading, tough terrain and carrying more passengers if need be. Other is not. Cruze is faster than Fortuner.

BOTH : hahaha...hahaha. Fortuner has 4X4, so its faster, you have knowledge does not mean you can give wrong information to us, even we have some knowledge.

Me : Cruse has better aerodynamics, is low slung, has better power to weight ratio, ....
Friend 1 and then 2 : Fortuner has 3000cc engine, cruze has 2000cc. Fortuner has 4X4, is more expensive, is bigger so will be more stable and handle turns better, is overall a bigger, better more expensive car.

Me: Money cannot determine who is quicker. A spiritedly driven Baleno can be quicker and faster than Fortuner. I have personally done that.

Both : You are out of your mind today. Workload has taken a toll, you need tea. Cruze is good but fortuner is better.

Me : Fortuner is..
Both : Enough, next you will say that Innova is slower than Corolla...we are not jokers, and now not in mood to joke.
Me : What Innova is ..? Are you talking about diesel ?
Both : Hell man, Innova has diesel engine only ? Looks like project work has rendered you out of sleep...

So at the end I decided that its meaningless to talk to them..Let them earn and do more research when they have their own money at stake.
Old 1st December 2011, 09:55   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
One incidence, not exactly funny, but they prove how bad it is to explain and discuss with not-so-knowledgable humans.

A group of my friends are sitting in free time. I am regarded as a person who happens to be auto expert ( despite the fact that I never claim to be an expert, my argument is that I am open to new things and perfecting knowledge about automobiles is having indepth knowledge of almost all components of cars ) and the one to be consulted in any case or thing related to Automotive.

Friend 1: Fortuner is excellent, very fast, can easily outrun many cars on expresshighway ( NE-1 between Vadodara-A'bad ).
Friend 2 : Yes, its really great. Even better than Cruze.

Both of them are now talking to me.
Me : They are different vehicles, one is for off-roading, tough terrain and carrying more passengers if need be. Other is not. Cruze is faster than Fortuner.

BOTH : hahaha...hahaha. Fortuner has 4X4, so its faster, you have knowledge does not mean you can give wrong information to us, even we have some knowledge.

Me : Cruse has better aerodynamics, is low slung, has better power to weight ratio, ....
Friend 1 and then 2 : Fortuner has 3000cc engine, cruze has 2000cc. Fortuner has 4X4, is more expensive, is bigger so will be more stable and handle turns better, is overall a bigger, better more expensive car.

Me: Money cannot determine who is quicker. A spiritedly driven Baleno can be quicker and faster than Fortuner. I have personally done that.

Both : You are out of your mind today. Workload has taken a toll, you need tea. Cruze is good but fortuner is better.

Me : Fortuner is..
Both : Enough, next you will say that Innova is slower than Corolla...we are not jokers, and now not in mood to joke.
Me : What Innova is ..? Are you talking about diesel ?
Both : Hell man, Innova has diesel engine only ? Looks like project work has rendered you out of sleep...

So at the end I decided that its meaningless to talk to them..Let them earn and do more research when they have their own money at stake.

I get the logic now!!
the more money you spend, the less you have to lug around.
lower weight, increases the PTW ratio, BINGO!!
So in-my-face for a long time and i never saw it...tsk.
Old 1st December 2011, 13:00   #853
Senior - BHPian

I was with my Friend 1 (F1) in my Scorpio.

F1 : Why are you driving a Scorpio when you have an innova at home?
Me: I enjoy Scorpio more than Innova
F1: Cmon, Innova is more powerful
Me: err... no. Scorpio is 120 bhp & innova is 102 bhp. yes, innova is lighter but...
F1: cmon, are you nuts? Innova is 140 bhp!
Me: I dont think so. you must be talking about petrol innova which is 132 PS.
F1: My friend (F2) has a diesel innova & its 140 bhp
Me: Not possible
F1: Wait, talk to him

* Calls him

F1: you have an innova right? My friend is claiming that it is only 102 bhp
F2: he is mad. I have a diesel Innova & it is 140 bhp
Me: Ohh, then I think you are misguided, even I have a diesel innova & I am pretty sure it is 102 bhp.
F2: (to F1) your friend is crazy.
Me: go check the toyota webiste
F1: we dont need to, we have the car!

Both smirk & laugh at my limited knowledge.
Old 1st December 2011, 13:46   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Are they not contradicting their own logic as Corolla is expensive than Innova.
Old 1st December 2011, 14:17   #855
Senior - BHPian

I don't have one specific incident, but in general, it is next to impossible to convince many people the following:

1. A cheaper car has more power than a costlier car (Swift DDIS / Fiesta TDCi)
2. A big label may have a car which has less power than a desi label.(Innova / Scorpio)
3. Also as a sub-rule of the above: a successful car has less power than a market dud (Swift / Palio GTX)
4. An expensive car may not have great handling or ride quality.
5. An SUV does not automatically mean tyre-shredding power.
6. Torque matters as much as BHP or that torque may not be directly proportional to BHP when comparing diesel vs petrol (Still haven't convinced someone that the MJD has 190 Nm or torque vs the 1.6s 140 Nm).
7. Mercs / BMW / Audi (or whichever brand's car your closest well-to-do friend / relative owns in that segment) may not be the best in performance in its segment. Case in point, the Volvo S60 vs, say, the Audi's lower-end A4.
8. The weight of a car matters.
9. It is better to buy a car with disc brakes on all four wheels than on two (a sub-rule of the above that was very prevalent in the two-wheeler market till a few years ago was that bikes with front discs are dangerous).

There are many more, but these are the most difficult ones.

Most Viewed